It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks Mitch, Thanks Nix.

I recall those earlier posts but they really discussed the shut off issue primarily and the fast, normal and slow settings. The stuff Nix provided is what I was lookiing for.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:09 am 
LOST Addict

Mine should get here today. If it will do this particular combo, I'm going to monitor MAP, IAT, FWT, and VLT.

I did look at one other item in the Jegs catalog, called the Dashhawk, made by MSD Ignition (basically a second generation EDGE Attitude). It could display virtually any parameter that the OBDII system monitors. Only one problem - you need a CANBUS equipped vehicle to use it, and the CRD isn't. :(

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well first drive went fine. I found that my version is 3.03 and in a 40 minute commute it stayed operational in mixed driving including an extended idle at Starbucks.

I was amazed by the high temp readings for the input air temperature. At one point I noted up to 170 degrees although it soon dropped to about 130. Even 130 seems high but I guess I don't know where it is being read. Certainly can't be at the MAF or near the air box.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Here's a question for the long time users - has anybody found a way to reset this beast when it hangs up, without having to pull off the road and shut off the engine? Not really concerned if it screws up the trip function or mpg readings, just as long as I can get the gauges working again.

Max I saw for IAT, even with the A/C going on a 94 F day, was 125. Would drop 10 F about 1 to 2 minutes after turning off the A/C compressor.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject: Same.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:56 pm 
LOST Member

I have had the scangauge for some time now, and have noticed that the IA temp is about 30 deg higher than outside air. Also it stays on longer (it seems) every 3rd start cycle. Anyone else notice that?

Born on 5-20-2006 @ 7:20pm
Jeep Green, Oil drain valve
Tow Package, Transmission skid plate
EHM2, ORM,
Current mileage 79,000.
Past Jeeps: 63 CJ5,
1994, 1995, 2000 Cherokee,
1995, 1997, 2003 Wrangler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't monitor it all the time but yes I do notice it seems very high. I would be interested in knowing where it is being monitored. Obviously not the air box unless there is a propane torch in there I hadn't noticed. It climbs up to that heat pretty fast too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like the temperature is being measured post-turbo, and most likely post-CC. I bet it's right next to the MAP sensor.

'01 Beetle TDi B100, EGR delete
'83 Mercedes 240D B100, no EGR

--- SEGR Builder ---

Post subject: Air gets hotter when compressed
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I believe that UFO is correct.... the air temerature is measured by the MAP sensor.

Keep in mind that compressing air will heat it, if no heat is allowed to escape. From Wikipedia;

"Charles's law says "when a gas is compressed, temperature is raised". There are three possible relationships between temperature and pressure in a volume of gas undergoing compression:" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_compressor )

As a rule of thumb, you can expect a 10 deg F rise per 1.8 psi of increased pressure during an adiabatic process. For the CRD with 15 ps of boost, that is about 80 deg F above ambient. But of course, that is what the Intercooler is for.... lowering the temp of the boost air. so, it makes sense that we read somewhere around 50 deg above ambient WITH ORM. If we introduce exhaust to the boosted and cooled air, we can get higher temps....

I have measured, without ORM and fully warmed up, 100 F above ambient FIA. With ORM, 45 F above ambient.

Without ORM, you can see the FIA going up and down with the ERG opening and closing ( FIA goes down a lot with WOT, for instance).

The hotter inlet air is one of the ways the EGR lowers power output.

Bill

Post subject: An Observation
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

On tonights commute I was driving by the instant MPG to see how often and for how long I could keep it above 30 MPG when the SGII locked up. I remember another recent post here (sorry I wanted to link it but I couldn't locate it) for a PC/Pocket PC/Palm based OBDII gauge with a lot more capabilities and an exchange the poster had with the manufacture. What the manufacture said about the CRD was that it was a know issue with the specific style of processor not the fact that there were multiple processors reporting and that it was an issue for all with this processor not just the CRD. The problem was limited capability of the processor to poll multiple points at the same time for an extended period.

With the above info in mind and a quiet ScanGaugeII I tried an experiment. I reached over and pushed the "menu" button the the "trip" button. The "trip" button was set to "current MPG" and it was happily reporting away. I switched back to "gauge" an now the diplay was empty of values as none of those points were still reporting and changing to "trip" had cleared their stored values..

So, it looks like the other manufacture knew what they were talking about. Perhaps the ScanGaugeII is programmed to constantly poll all points and after a fashion the processor says enough is enough I will only be reporting MPG, Trip Odo and MPH from here out. Perhaps if we knew the maximum number of points it could continuosly monitor without shutting down we could get Linear Logic to program it to poll few points simultaneously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dave,

We know that there is something wierd about the controlers on our CRD.... Scangauge works with hundreds of other cars, polling away at the same rate.

It may be true that if they included a "less polling" mode, the CRD would not cause a lock up.

See my earlier post with info from AutoEnginuity's tech where he states that there is a known problem with ISO due to multiple pollings. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... ht=#241521

Bill

Post subject: Re: GROUP BUY FROM LINEAR LOGIC SCANGAUGEII
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:55 am 
LOST Newbie

I’m unsure as to where to post this but I was wondering where I can get a good scan tool that would be compatible to my CRD and like the Scan Gauge 2 since I don’t plan to flash my ECM, TCM, or PCM to update it since it would be like a Rosh ambo from my self to my self. Though admittedly unsure what the TCM and PCM updates do and whether or not it would be good to do unlike the ECM. I like the power of my engine the way it is for now but might think of getting a ECU mod once I can figure out why the companies I looked at use the same tech but have the policies and prices they do. Green Diesel Engineering, Inmotion, Kerma TDI, and possibly Rocket Chip. Perhaps ill get a plugin mod if I can come to a decision.

Post subject: GROUP BUY FROM LINEAR LOGIC SCANGAUGEII
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:24 am 
LOST Addict

GDE is probably your best bet then. I use a VAGCOM and now have a SG2. I have another for my Fords.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:47 pm 
LOST Addict

BryanMc82 wrote:
...I was wondering where I can get a good scan tool that would be compatible to my CRD and like the Scan Gauge 2...

If you already own an Android device an OBDII <-> Bluetooth dongle plus the Torque app for about $15-$20 total is a cheap and fun product though the vehicle still has the same communications issues it has with any other third party device. This is an issue with the vehicle, not the tool.

BryanMc82 wrote:
...might think of getting a ECU mod once I can figure out why the companies I looked at use the same tech but have the policies and prices they do. Green Diesel Engineering, Inmotion, Kerma TDI, and possibly Rocket Chip. Perhaps ill get a plugin mod if I can come to a decision.

I'm not sure what is concerning you regarding policies but as far as price is concerned you're paying for the R&D plus service and support.

Some companies out there don't event bother to respond to simple emails regarding their product whereas others provide same day turnaround, excellent after sales service, custom tweaking and troubleshooting and maintenance advice that reaches beyound the scope of their tune. These additional benefits may be reflected in the price.

As the adage goes "You get what you pay for"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:37 am 
LOST Newbie

dirtmover wrote:
BryanMc82 wrote:
...I was wondering where I can get a good scan tool that would be compatible to my CRD and like the Scan Gauge 2...

dirtmover wrote:
...If you already own an Android device an OBDII <-> Bluetooth dongle plus the Torque app for about $15-$20 total is a cheap and fun product though the vehicle still has the same communications issues it has with any other third party device. This is an issue with the vehicle, not the tool...

Hmm I see sounds like a neat possibility.

BryanMc82 wrote:
...might think of getting a ECU mod once I can figure out why the companies I looked at use the same tech but have the policies and prices they do. Green Diesel Engineering, Inmotion, Kerma TDI, and possibly Rocket Chip. Perhaps ill get a plugin mod if I can come to a decision.

dirtmover wrote:
...I'm not sure what is concerning you regarding policies but as far as price is concerned you're paying for the R&D plus service and support...

Well the differences I have seen so far are:

Inmotion around since 1997. Seemingly identical Flash Programmer Tool can be used on multiple ECU’s.
Unsure of price till I contact them. All website tunings come with a lifetime warranty and free upgrades/downgrades.

Green Diesel Engineering around since 2009. You pay $195.00 for a seemingly identical Flash Programmer Tool can store stock and 2 other tunes. $500.00 for first tune and $100.00 for each additional tune. The programmer can only be used for your jeep ECU tied to VIN. 60 day money back guaranty and 1 year warranty.

Kerma TDI around since 2013. Allows for customizability can send custom tunes and upgrade tunes at any time, free of charge in most cases. You pay $649.00 for a seemingly identical Flash Programmer Tool can store stock tune and 2 other tunes I assume free of charge custom tunes. Unsure if it can be used on more than one ECU and warranty till I contact them I think its store credit.

dirtmover wrote:
...Some companies out there don't event bother to respond to simple emails regarding their product whereas others provide same day turnaround, excellent after sales service, custom tweaking and troubleshooting and maintenance advice that reaches beyound the scope of their tune. These additional benefits may be reflected in the price.

As the adage goes "You get what you pay for"...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 am 
LOST Addict

GDE offers such an overwhelming array of advantages over all the other tuners that it has been a long since I seen even a single question as to whether they are the way to go. They are still the only tuner that addresses the single most important issue, eliminating burning of exhaust gas. Soot in the oil leads to a very early death. All others require a separate approach like SEGR, which then makes GDE the least expensive. You can use SEGR for this, but it eliminates the turbo overspeed protection included by GDE. This is now known to be very important to turbo longevity.

DOCUMENTS

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

DOC4444 wrote:
GDE offers such an overwhelming array of advantages over all the other tuners that it has been a long since I seen even a single question as to whether they are the way to go. They are still the only tuner that addresses the single most important issue, eliminating burning of exhaust gas. Soot in the oil leads to a very early death. All others require a separate approach like SEGR, which then makes GDE the least expensive. You can use SEGR for this, but it eliminates the turbo overspeed protection included by GDE. This is now known to be very important to turbo longevity.

DOCUMENTS

I wouldn't even consider a SEGR. As for the turbo bleed function it is part of the base software stock for protection and bleeds off excess air from intake out the exhaust anyway. Their is a point of the timing of when the EGR shuts or opens that I do consider. I know how GDE does it but unsure of the others for now. I do take this in to account and that is a huge plus but if the others do that as well then its a mater of policies and the tune choices of the client and developers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:03 pm 
LOST Addict

The customer service the Keith gives at GDE, is by far what CS is all about. To this day Keith answeres my stupid questions and lets me know about issus he sees on the forums. Dealing with other tuners for other vehicles, NO ONE else has had CS like this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Update contacted kermatdi today now only considering them and green diesel. Still going to call them when i can and perhaps ill be swayed to gde since it does seem awsome the more i read about them. :juggle: