It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VNT turbo stuck vane cleaning FYI.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have been getting the overboost code and limp mode for the first several minutes every morning until the wastegate actuator breaks loose for the last 6 months or so. I finally got around to accessing the actuator, and found that, it was stuck shut, and that after breaking it loose, It only moved about 1/2 inch. I searched around and found that many of the VW TDI guys are having the same problem. The most commonly used solution is to remove the exhaust pipe fill the exhaust housing side of the turbo with foaming oven cleaner. Let it sit for about 20 minutes, then work the actuator back and forth until it moves freely.

So, I finally did this. Took about 30 minutes to get to the turbo and remove the downpipe. Access was easy, it was amazing how much longer the stroke of the actuator is now than before I started. I now get 1"=1.25" travel. Boost is MUCH improved under normal conditions. I wish I had done this months ago. about 1-1.5 hours total time investment.

After working the actuator back and forth with the oven cleaner in the exhaust, (about 30 min total time of having the oven cleaner in the exhaust side of the turbo, I started the engine briefly with the exhaust pipe disconnected to "blow" the foam out. I then sprayed a little water in and started again briefly. Reconnected the exhaust pipe and took the truck for a good hard drive "Italian Tune up" style.

Problem has totally disappeared in the last week.

Post subject: Re: VNT turbo stuck vane cleaning FYI.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds good. Thanks for that writeup.

'01 Beetle TDi B100, EGR delete
'83 Mercedes 240D B100, no EGR

--- SEGR Builder ---