It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did the Air Box Mod Today
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:17 am 
LOST Member

I dropped in the an airbox from a V6 gasser. The hood etc has cutouts to accept the "snorkel" and deflector. here was even a pre-drilled hole in the front frame for the bolt that holds the deflector in place.

I am wondering why DCX went to the trouble of spec'ing a unique airbox for the diesel?

It would have been cheaper/easier just to use the existing V6 part.

I can't tell if the opening for the V6 box is any bigger than the original diesel part.

My only conclusion is there may be some ram-air type of effect by having the air intake directly from the grill rather than from under the hood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Because the Diesel always runs wide open, no throttle plate, even at idle, it needs a very-low restriction intake plenum - unless someone has already done so, and I can't find it, I am very interested to see how the gasser (patooie!) "S" intake duct compares to the Diesel inlet duct, which is large, short, and direct, in overall area

The "S" advantage would be in off-roading conditions, with the higher-mounted location, much like a short snorkle

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Last edited by gmctd on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just to be clear, the recent gasser libbies have the same airbox we CRD's do. I do not think that they made something just for the CRD.

Somebody correct me on this?

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am sure it was a cost cutting decision to make the "new unimproved box"... :x

With everything blocking the current CRD box tube...I don't think it is better than the 2002 gasser design. After taking out my CRD air box and installing the gasser air box, I think the gasser "S" shaped air catch has much smoother transitions without the "pleating" like the CRD air catch.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Man I need to do this MOD..........

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:14 pm 
LOST Member

There is an old, long thread about this subject.

To summarize: 1.The openings of the old airbox and tube have a larger surface area that the new and "improved" system. Someone who knows math gooder than me measured and calculated it. 2.The new airbox pick up is down low and in the dust. Rain,mist, bugs and junk seem to make their way directly into the air filter and clog it. Rain,especially, was soaking the filter and choking it off. The old system has an air dam that blocks rain and bugs. It is also up and out of the dirty air, filter lasts longer. 3.The old style system seems to be in a high pressure area of the hood which gives a mild boost to incoming air. More air and slightly pressurized. Turbo says yum! 4.The tube directing air to the airbox on the new style looks big enough but the pickup area, which you can't really see, is tiny. That's about all I remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

One thing I would like to do with an airbox with this mod is try a "funnel". This V6 snorkel is in an easy place to add a wide 'cone' that could slip on the front. At highway speed, I hope this would increase the air component. It would look stupid, like that thing they put on dogs, but it would be interesting to see if it helps get more air in there.

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BiodieselJeep.com wrote:
One thing I would like to do with an airbox with this mod is try a "funnel". This V6 snorkel is in an easy place to add a wide 'cone' that could slip on the front. At highway speed, I hope this would increase the air component. It would look stupid, like that thing they put on dogs, but it would be interesting to see if it helps get more air in there.

If you check out the pictures of the new military Wrangler on the General Forum you will see that it has a snorkel on the top of the hood. It would be interesting to see under the hood to see if that air box and snorkel could be modified for the KJ sincce they are both running the 2.8 CRD.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BiodieselJeep.com wrote:
Just to be clear, the recent gasser libbies have the same airbox we CRD's do. I do not think that they made something just for the CRD.

Somebody correct me on this?

Wrong, the only thing that changed on the newer KJ gasser was the addition of some foam and a new hole for a sensor. You can use the newer one but you need to plug the extra holes. It seems to me that the KK uses the same air box too and the earlier 2.5 did as well.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights