It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 CRD sucessfully running torque with ELM327
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:14 am 
LOST Newbie

Put about 50 miles on it today and about an hour of tinkering with the gadgetry but it works sucessfully for the most part.
Here's how I did it:

Bluetooth device:
ELM 327 Version 1.4
Got it from ebay seller tomtop.wholesaler
Not much to say about it other than it functions as it should. It's mearly a bluetooth interface between the hand held device (smart phone) and the cars ECU. Can say this about the seller, I ordered it tuesday, got shipping notice Wednesday, Thanksgiving was Thursday, and it arrived in my hand shortly after noon on Friday. That's fast!
Cost=25 shipped

Torque android app:
Lots of info of what it can do online and it's ever expanding. The owner has released protocols for others to build plugins to expand its capabilities in the future. More info can be found here: Torque--OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle.
Cost=5 dowload

Assembly:
Now that you've got both of the things you need lets get it working.
ELM 327-plug it in your OBD service port. That's it, nothing else to do here. ECU power is supplied to the port and that is what powers the module. No batteries, wires, or other hookups. Its gotta be simple enough for your big auto chain store high school dropout to be able to use it. (I know, I was a manager at Advanced Auto parts for five years)

On your device:
You must pair the ELM up with your device. The following is done before opening up Torque. Go to settings, wireless connections, bluetooth connections, and scan for device. Mine showed up as CHX with a bunch of numbers in brackets. Click on it and when it asks for a pairing code, it should be 6789. According to the manufacturers website this is universal for all their similiar products. It will do the rest by it's self and you can go back to the home screen.

Turn on GPS satellite receiver:
You can do this several ways. It is buried in settings somewhere, but I have a handy little shortcut on my first left page. It eats up battery to have it on, so when not in use i'd suggest turning it off if it isn't needed for another app. For this very reason I plan to hardwire in a charging cable and run it up to my windshield mount for long range driving.

Open up Torque:
Set up your vehicles profile-click the menu button and you get settings, vehicle profile, and quit. Click profile first, (we'll come back to settings later.) new-profile, You'll now be shown all kinds of info that needs to be input. We'll start from the top.
Profile name-I chose Liberty CRD for mine
Eingine Displacement-2.8 it's in liters
weight in kilograms-1920kg for this porker
Fuel Type-diesel, duh
boost adjustment- 0 will be fine unless you get way high in the mountains where air pressure at sealevel isn't the normal 14.7psi
Max dial RPM-5000
VE%-85% I haven't seen anything that says our engine is a different number
Fuel cost-3.69 average cost around here
accumulated distance travelled-Odometer-65000 make it exactly what yours shows. The program will keep up with it from here.
MPG trim-1 don't mess with this unless your mpg calcs are different that what torque shows.
Advanced, use seperate dashboard layout- Not sure what this does yet, I left it unchecked.
Advanced-connect using this bluetooth connector for this profile. Check the same one you set up on you phones settings earlier.
Use alternate obd header, I didn't have to use this one left unchecked.
Preferred OBD2 Protocol-SAE J1850-VPW (10.4k baud)
(note: When left to auto search it will work but only the tach and TPS % will function. I tried all others with varying results. The best I could find was SAE j1850-VPW. All gauges worked except the TPS%. Gaining boost and coolant but loosing tps, I could deal with that. DO NOT USE USER1-CAN or USER2-CAN. They both disabled ABS, ESP, and all the other electronic gizmos that drive for you when things get crazy. My instrument panel light up like christmas when I tried to use those two.)
Click Save.
This is the first step to have this going. You do not have to have your car running to do all this, key on-engine off.

Use the setup:
Wait until all four little blue icons turn solid. left to right, GPS, Phone, ELM, and profile. Once the last one lights up your talking to the ecu. Start the car and hit realtime information and you should see some results. You can also pull up codes at this time. There are gauge settings and such you can change that are fairly well explained on Torque's forums, I'll leave those up to you to explore and change to your liking.

I wrote this as a guide to get you started. I've got just a few hours playing on it but it hasn't locked up or caused any unusual problems other than the traction control shutdown, but that was just me exploring functions. If you can find better setups, bug fixes, etc., please post them up on this thread.

Pulled codes and got:
Current fault U0121 - Network
Current Fault P0102 - Mass or Volume air flow circuit low input (ORM)
P0100 Powertrain Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit
P0203 Injector Circuit - Cylinder 3 (uh oh, Fumes have been really strong at idle, stuck open?)
B2TAE-Body ??? net search revealed nothing.

Kane

Post subject: Re: 2006 CRD sucessfully running torque with ELM327
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:17 am 
LOST Addict

Have you gotten oil pressure, temp and trans temp to work?

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:57 am 
LOST Junkie

Has a lot of potential. Like DOC, I'd like to see more of the important items like temp,pressure, they are on the bus so it should be able to be picked up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:09 pm 
LOST Addict

I thought that when I borrowed a VAGCOM a couple years ago and ran it in OBDII generic mode, I saw oil temp, oil pressure and transmission temp, but can't be sure. I emailed Keith at GDE to see if he might be interested in doing some programing to enhance the Torque app for the KJ CRD.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm going to watch this thread...

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Haven't gotten the oil psi, or trans anything to work yet. However Fuel rail pressure works. I've got to work all week so I'll be researching this week and experimenting this weekend.

Kane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

am very close to trying this. Essentially it displays MOST engine readings onto your phone via bluetooth and feeds live information?

Edit: just ordered it from the same guy on ebay. Figured it's 20 bucks, and hell if it displays more then throttle position and RPM's, then it's better then my ultraguage, which i will then sell and get more money then i spent on this :BANANA:

Procomp rockkrawlr 16x8 4.25bs with 265-70-65 General Grabber AT2's
Mopar full skid plates, JCR stage 3 Rock Rails
Kenwood HU, 6.5 pioneer marine grade door speakers, JL stealthbox kenwood amp
GDE HOT tune
Soon to come
RL Rock monitor bumper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:46 am 
LOST Addict

MainstreaM wrote:
Haven't gotten the oil psi, or trans anything to work yet. However Fuel rail pressure works. I've got to work all week so I'll be researching this week and experimenting this weekend.

Kane

There is no oil pressure sensor per se. There's only a switch that trips below the minimum psi, it doesn't send variable data so it can't be seen on the bus.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:30 am 
LOST Newbie

Little update. I drive one hour to and from work, on these long trips the torque software randomly searches for a new OBD protocol. It settles on the first one it comes to that has an RPM readout, wether or not any other gauges work, which is usually something other than the SAE J1850-VPW. I went back into the profile and reset it back to SAE but when it reconnects with this protocol, only the tach works. I have to shut the engine/electrical off and restart the jeep before it will reconnect with full operability. I am going to check on the Torque forums and see if this is a known problem, and if not bring it up to the software developer.

Kane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:56 am 
LOST Member

CATCRD wrote:
MainstreaM wrote:

Kane

There is no oil pressure sensor per se. There's only a switch that trips below the minimum psi, it doesn't send variable data so it can't be seen on the bus.

Are you 100% sure on that?

I'm showing a 3 wire oil pressure sensor that's connected to the FCM.

I think that the FCM puts the info on the PCI bus, but the inst cluster only shows a light when the psi drops below a certain value.

I don't see a direct connection from the sensor to the inst cluster.

I could be wrong

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

NO - engine oil temperature sensor.

YES - engine oil pressure sensor.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:44 pm 
LOST Member

Wish we had oil temp...

Any good place in the block to put a sensor?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Maybe. If all you want is a reading on oil temp you could probably get away with installing a "T" where the oil pressure sending unit is down by the oil filter. The problem with that location, as geordi has documented, is it may be ok for oil temp but it's probably the worst possible place for an oil pressure gauge since oil pressure will be maintained here right up until just before you lose all engine oil if you have a catastrophic oil failure as in turbo bearing of turbo oil feed lines.

The maybe is that GDE says and geordi and I think we can see where they are on the parts diagram that there are 4 plugs in the oil gallery on the passenger side of the engine. One of those plugs is where the turbo oil feed line goes and the other 3 are just capped off. Those would appear to be an ideal location for an oil pressure gauge and maybe oil temp if one can physically get too them. I don't know for sure but I think the back one of these plugs may be accessible during a turbo install once the heat shield is removed. I certainly intend to look when I do the GDE turbo install as I'll have to dig into that area to do the turbo job.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:19 pm 
LOST Member

Post correction: here is a picture of the rear oil plug
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68442076@N02/6904511219/in/set-72157629389449367

CRD Motor/Timing Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68442076@N02/sets/72157629389449367/

Last edited by EAB on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:18 am 
LOST Addict

Mr. Mopar, is there a trans temp sensor?

DOC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks like great little tool.
Does it work with Android phones too?
:) Torque says yes
In Illinois and some other states, Police may choose to issue you a ticket for texting when driving when they catch you pecking the touch screen.
Texting tickets are an easy way to make money for the cash strapped cities and states.
You can hire a lawyer and go to court or try to convince the judge your self that you were not texting (good luck).
If you get in a wreck with the phone in your hand, your insurance company may crap out on paying up. Again, you may need to hire a lawyer.
Mounting the phone in a holder would be a cheap investment, cheaper than a ticket or lawyer.

The engine oil pressure switch is only an on/off switch, you can't defy the Laws of Physics.

Ordered one (now $19.95 shipped from USA, cheaper if shipped from China), it will work with my laptop if it does not work with the Android.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:09 am 
LOST Addict

MainstreaM wrote:
It settles on the first one it comes to that has an RPM readout, wether or not any other gauges work, which is usually something other than the SAE J1850-VPW....

... I have to shut the engine/electrical off and restart the jeep before it will reconnect with full operability.

I played around with a friends ScanGuage a few years ago and it exhibited similar problems. All gauges except one, can't remember if it was speed or tach, stopped working and wouldn't return until a restart. I could never get more than about 20 mins into my 1/2 hour commute without it failing like this.

warp2diesel wrote:
In Illinois and some other states, Police may choose to issue you a ticket for texting when driving when they catch you pecking the touch screen.

Be careful with this. Up here they'll have you for driving while distracted. Even though the publicised target is cell phones and texting it applies to any distraction, electronic or otherwise. Heck the police can even have you for being "distracted" by a cup of coffee if they take a dislike to you :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:12 am 
LOST Newbie

warp2diesel wrote:
Does it work with Android phones too?

I'm running it on a Droid X. Windshield mount is in the mail.

Kane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:10 am 
LOST Member

warp2diesel wrote:

The engine oil pressure switch is only an on/off switch, you can't defy the Laws of Physics.

For the 2005 on page 1480 of the FSM states that it is a 3 wire sensor, ground, 5v, and signal.
It also states that an oil pressure switch returns a voltage signal back to the ECM regarding oil pressure.

So it is just not an on/off switch that closes or opens when the pressure is at a certain value.

According to the wiring diagram that I have it is actually connected to the FCM.

Page 421 of the same 2005 FSM states that the instrument cluster will illuminate the low oil pressure light based on cluster logic and messages received over the PCI bus.

It goes into further detail that the cluster will illuminate the light once the engine is running, over 450 RPM, and received 3 consecutive messages that the oil pressure is about 4 kPA (0.6 PSI) or lower.

So the oil pressure switch does sense pressure, and it is on the PCI bus.

:JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:39 am 
LOST Member

MainstreaM wrote:

Pulled codes and got:
Current fault U0121 - Network
B2TAE-Body ??? net search revealed nothing.

Kane

Do you have HID's installed?
I get the same two codes when i turn mine on.

OME 790 and Bilstein 916 up front
OME 948 and OME N132L in rear
245/75/16 Treadwright Warden A/T on Richard Cepek DC-2
Euro torque converter
Renegade roof lights
Pioneer Z110bt double din navi w/ reverse cam