It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Airbox mod (warning, lots of photos)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:38 pm 
LOST Addict

kidjedi wrote:
Thanks for the input, CATCRD. I wasn't sure if it was actually able to take in more air, or if it just repositions where it's taking the air in from.

And while I'm going to be sure to get the soot/mist out of my intake, I plan on doing it with the Full Torque Eco-boost from GDE... I'm just trying to source a Euro TC first!

Even the GDE tune won't get rid of the oily mist in the intake. A provent is the best way to prevent continued deterioration of rubber hoses in the intake.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:48 pm 
LOST Member

CATCRD wrote:
Even the GDE tune won't get rid of the oily mist in the intake. A provent is the best way to prevent continued deterioration of rubber hoses in the intake.

Really? I thought it did the same thing as the EHM (except by disabling the MAF), which does the same thing as the Provent (basically, keeping garbage out of the CCV). Not true?

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:00 am 
LOST Addict

kidjedi wrote:
CATCRD wrote:

Really? I thought it did the same thing as the EHM (except by disabling the MAF), which does the same thing as the Provent (basically, keeping garbage out of the CCV). Not true?

Nope, it cuts down on the soot getting circulated back into the intake, but that's only half the equation. A computer tune can't touch the crankcase gases.

Provent is superior to the EHM because it keeps a slight vacuum on the crankcase and keeps the gases from being vented to the atmosphere.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:41 am 
LOST Member

CATCRD wrote:
Nope, it cuts down on the soot getting circulated back into the intake, but that's only half the equation. A computer tune can't touch the crankcase gases.

Provent is superior to the EHM because it keeps a slight vacuum on the crankcase and keeps the gases from being vented to the atmosphere.

Thanks for the info, CATCRD. I'll be sure to adjust my plans accordingly!

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:14 pm 
LOST Member

Any thoughts on where to order the Provent? My searches are coming up short (and I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing).

Thanks in advance for any links/advice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You can google Mann Provent for more options, but here is a popular one.

http://www.airnowsupply.com/filter-types/proventfilters.html

Call them to order, and get a 200 series one

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:20 pm 
LOST Member

arengant wrote:
You can google Mann Provent for more options, but here is a popular one.

http://www.airnowsupply.com/filter-types/proventfilters.html

Call them to order, and get a 200 series one

Much obliged for the link and which series to order!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Anyone seen the 150 series in person? Wondering if that would be a better fit for our tight engine bay.

Post subject: Airbox mod (warning, lots of photos)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Apparently idparts has the provent 200 for about 140. I know I paid more on mine on eBay few years ago...

For whoever is interested:

General info about provent: https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/u ... ent_en.pdf

Buy provent filter element from: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=2428

Buy whole kit: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=2334

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:42 pm 
LOST Member

thermorex wrote:
Apparently idparts has the provent 200 for about 140. I know I paid more on mine on eBay few years ago...

For whoever is interested:

General info about provent: https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/u ... ent_en.pdf

Buy provent filter element from: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=2428

Buy whole kit: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=2334

HERE"S A BETTER PRICE http://www.diesel-filters.com/393107055 ... f-highway/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:04 pm 
LOST Member

Looking at what to buy, there is the filter element, the actual Provent, and a check valve. It is my understanding that you would only use the valve when routing the oil back into the system (not needed when simply routing the oil drain line from the provent into a collection system... like a Coke bottle).

Is this correct? Just want to make sure I get everything I need. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Correct. In theory you can also wash the filter in gasoline, dry it and then reuse it. It doesn't look as being paper filter so it should be washable. Of course, a new filter replacement won't hurt anything at all.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Dennis MacGyver wrote:

Don't even want to know man, I paid for mine 200+ 2 years ago... Lol.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:35 pm 
LOST Member

kidjedi wrote:
Looking at what to buy, there is the filter element, the actual Provent, and a check valve. It is my understanding that you would only use the valve when routing the oil back into the system (not needed when simply routing the oil drain line from the provent into a collection system... like a Coke bottle).

Is this correct? Just want to make sure I get everything I need. Thanks!

The correct return valve use (from reading the Mann Provent info).
If the hose going back to the oil pan exits BELOW the level of the oil in the pan, a valve is not needed.
IF the hose going back to the oil pan exits into the pan ABOVE the oil level in the pan, the valve is required.

Here's a cheap source for the valve.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racor-CCV55279- ... 21&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:37 pm 
LOST Member

thermorex wrote:
Correct. In theory you can also wash the filter in gasoline, dry it and then reuse it. It doesn't look as being paper filter so it should be washable. Of course, a new filter replacement won't hurt anything at all.

WRONG INFO ON THE VENT !!!

If the hose going back to the oil pan exits BELOW the level of the oil in the pan, a valve is not needed.
IF the hose going back to the oil pan exits into the pan ABOVE the oil level in the pan, the valve is required.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Dennis MacGyver wrote:
thermorex wrote:

I think he was asking if he needs a valve for the oil collector hose (the one all way at the bottom). Since he is pretty much dumping the oil (in a coke bottle not oil pan), I don't see why he would need a return valve (the atmospheric pressure will never be greater than what is in the provent filter to push the oil back to crank case or create a pressure in the provent element). If he would connect the oil collector hose back to his oil pan (as in theory we all should do), then your info is definitely correct.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:05 am 
LOST Member

thermorex wrote:
Dennis MacGyver wrote:
thermorex wrote:

I think he was asking if he needs a valve for the oil collector hose (the one all way at the bottom). Since he is pretty much dumping the oil (in a coke bottle not oil pan), I don't see why he would need a return valve (the atmospheric pressure will never be greater than what is in the provent filter to push the oil back to crank case or create a pressure in the provent element). If he would connect the oil collector hose back to his oil pan (as in theory we all should do), then your info is definitely correct.

I agree with your statement. Right now mine goes to a bottle too. I don't use a valve to the bottle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:30 am 
LOST Addict

I'm not that "green", I just dump it on the road (no collector). Probably Al Gore hates me, lol, but I don't believe that few drops of oil create global warming... Especially in this cold winter.

Anybody tried to drain the oil from provent straight in the oil pan? Seems pretty straight forward, but I'd like to hear some experiences if somebody is willing to share.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

actually drops on the road - don't impact global warming - but they could flavor your local water supply

Gmctd had drilled his crankcase for a return on the Provent (don't think the pix are still around)
and Warp had drilled his for the Centrifuge return (a lot more volume there)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Cool. Thanks for replying. Maybe one of them will read this and be kind enough to post some pics.