It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My mamma tole me there'd be days like this..............
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, the goodies are in - not so well, the old man, tho

Folks, the little Jeep almost whupped this old man's resolution
- those wacky I-talians put hidden fasteners in places only Freddie Kreuger could dream of
- I canardly put finger to keyboard after two days in\out\over\under\on\off the little Diesel
- a lot of unnecessary hassle resulted from Jeep's inability to adhere to factory service procedures when they did the F37 last March
- or, maybe there are none, and they were just as whupped as I am.

I dropped the trans\xfer case assembly complete with cross-member attached - easier to do, easier to balance, and the attached x-member allowed positioning with the knees while the hands were otherwise occupied.

Didn't get pics - too overcast for son's cell-cam - I was too whupped by then for anything more than a side-by-side
torque convertor show'n'tell session, then in with it - quick demo drive at 2130hrs, and off he went.

However, I can report that the Suncoast torque convertor is much tighter than the DCX version, being a reworked Hemi unit -

- DCX impeller\turbine vanes are just a RCH off exactly vertical to the axis of the t\c - no cupping action, loose
- Suncoast version is way more aggressive, the vanes having a pronounced cupping arc from center to circumference - it got hookup.

The Transgo shift kit install went smoothly - left out the pressure-boost resistor for later switchable installation, when time permits observance with scantool.

Solved the trans dipstick blow-out problem several have mentioned - having noticed #2 son's Liberty demonstrating the same dipstick displacement after any hiway run, I was determined to solve and resolve this anomaly
- DCX ran a long hose from the 242 transfer-case breather to the firewall area with the traditional plastic breather cap on the firewall end
- DCX ran a 2" short hose from the 545RFE breather, with identical plastic breather cap - BUT - the trans breather cap is horizontal, laying at right-angle to the top of the case
- the case showed evidence of past blowby by dirt-laden stain down the side
- pulled the breather to find it stopped up from the same dirt as down the side of the case - the horizontal configuration prevented the cap from providing protection in the vertical plane
- the plastic breather cap is designed for vertical mounting
- the dirt-sealed trans case has no way to vent as mechanicals and fluid heats and expands - as pressure builds up, the dipstick becomes the safety pop-off valve - ours was always up against the hood.

Solution - a quick nip of the long xfer case hose near the trans breather site, a suitable emissions "T", as found at yer local auto emporium, and the trans now shares the xfer case breather up on the firewall, safe and sound
- it will get a vacuum power brake booster filter element, as used in passenger vehicles for many years
- I was just too whupped to fish the hose out to attach and mount the filter, tonite.

EDIT, June 08: the dipstick still moves out of the tube, but does not blow out against the hood - the stick must be too long, hitting the trans pan - may get a chance to check, soon, with filter change

After seeing Ed's (from down-under) avatar, I'm planning on moving the short breather hose at the differential case into higher real estate, adding the pb filter

Also solved the sudden appearance of black oily spots under the Jeep - and down the front suspension and frame-rail
- whaddamess!
- the capped Provent drain hose had blown off, promptly having a get-together with the turbo down-pipe, thusly thermo-sealing the tube-end - which was 3/4 full of condensed crankcase vapors
- that coulda been an unfortunate 6pm news segment, likely blamed on the fuel heater by interested passers-by

Also solved the mysterious slight disappearance of engine coolant - very slight, not enuff to leave spots, but noticed the rad cap loose when we got the little mule, and a quart down
- the lower coolant hose at the EGR is leaking slightly - this Jeep has had three EGR's in 50kmi
- time to replace the spring-clip hose-clamp with a ss screw-type - next time

So, it was an investigative catch-up, tighten-up, clean-up, power-up and physically punishing week-end - I'm satisfied................

Almost fergot - reason for the pump replacement part of F37 is -

- trans has a removeable round stamped steel cover at the front of the case, covering and protecting the pump - cover outer diameter is sealed to a machined surface in the case, inner diameter fits over and is sealed to a machined collar on the all-aluminum pump front cover

- the front oil seal for the t\c is installed in the collar on the original pump - in-chassis replacement is difficult, aluminum collar is easily damaged
- final assembly has three seals - outer, inner, t\c

- replacement front pump is machined to eliminate the collar for the inner and t\c seals, is supplied with new replacement front cover and t\c seal

- front seal is now in the steel cover, easily removed for in-chassis service and replacement, not easily damaged by fumble-fingered techs
- final assembly has two seals in steel - outer and t\c

- definite improvement from any standpoint

And, one final thing -
- the t\c has an orange silicone o-ring in a groove on the driving hub for internal pump sealing
- the o-ring on our MAR07 F37 t\c and pump upgrade is scuffed and brownish and rough on the outer surface, where it would contact the inside bore of the pump
- got to realize, here, that the installation was done in March, but no way would that seal properly
- it almost appears as tho the pump and t\c was assembled dry, where the o-ring was damaged in the first few seconds of dry operation at 800 cold-idle rpm.

It is likely that the resultant problems from F37 t\c-pump upgrades are due to the same scenario - dry assembly with no pre-lubrication

This would certainly enhance shudder and poor shifting

FYI, and SERENDIPITY - For those who would like to upgrade their KJ torque convertor, try the '07^ 5.7L Hemi version
4736587AC - it is low stall making it much more aggressive than the KJ version, plugs rite in, has all the upgrades,
available across the counter and on eBay - seen 'em recently for $8.95 to $100 Buy It Now, usually ~$50 S&H - it
is the identical unit Suncoast upgrades for the Hemi's and our KJ's with the 'billet' impeller drive housing

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Last edited by gmctd on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:45 am, edited 21 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:shock: WOW how old is son #2 If I tried to get help from the old man after about oh 18yrs or so hed just say go fly to the moon.Specially this kind of help.

rockkrawler wheels
EHM/SEGR almost, freeflow exhaust 5"hole
custom cross rails
SC ROCKSTAR (the first)
Life changes with kids,make sure it is for the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My Brain HURTS :oops:

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Very interesting. I still haven't found the vent end of the transmission and xfer case vents. I have put my hand on the source to make sure they were in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:09 am 
LOST Newbie

wow... that was a story and a half.

btw are you looking to adopt :?:

kimberly turrecamo, 2x 1450 hp emd 12-645-e6
Mary Turecamo 2 X 16-645 emd, totalling 4000 hp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

tugdrivinj wrote:
btw are you looking to adopt :?:

Before you know it, we'll be fighting over who can offer a better retirement care package...

- Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Adoption applicants must meet certain requirements and specifications for consideration -

- blonde or brunette or redhead
- wigs ok if bald
- 5 foot two
- eyes of blue
- 135lbs will do
- 30's-50's, forty-ish good
- must be big at the little and bottom at the top
- willing adult female of the opposite sex
- must own or drive a tugboat

Others need not apply

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:56 pm 
This member has been Banned

gmctd wrote:

Uhh...so....a man then..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Meaning, converted men need not apply........................... 8)

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:09 pm 
LOST Addict

gmctd wrote:
Adoption applicants must meet certain requirements and specifications for consideration -

- blonde or brunette or redhead
- wigs ok if bald
- 5 foot two
- eyes of blue
- 135lbs will do
- 30's-50's, forty-ish good
- must be big at the little and bottom at the top
- must own or drive a tugboat

Others need not apply

Must send picture of tugboat.

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Well, you certainly have good taste, except for the tugboat thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

well i got the tugboat thing down...i guess i'm totaly out of luck in all others...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You could just post pics of the old girl, tugdrivinj, prepped for a normal workday - that should be interesting, even without meeting any of the other requirements...................... :wink:

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok let me try it like this
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/ ... CF0895.jpg

that's the link anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Link's good, my friend, and pic's good, but these ole eyes ain't whut they use ta be - can you 'click on pic to enlarge' it?

BTW - nice and sunny and cool today, after the severe stormy yesterday and last nite, so #2 son brought it back over, and we tore it back down to get pics - hope they come out ok - thassa lotta work..............................

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

hey gm i pm'd you with a better one

Post subject: ****56k users beware -- Pic intensive ****
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:31 am 
LOST Newbie

Alright here are the pics.

DCX back side
Sun Coast torque converter back side

DCX front

Sun Coast front

DCX view from above

Sun Coast view from above

Side by side comparison

Inside the bell housing

TCC clutch(picture from dieselpowermag.com)

Removing the clutch disc (picture from dieselpowermag.com)

TCC plate surface (picture from dieselpowermag.com)

Aluminum stator, furnace-brazed fins (picture from dieselpowermag.com)

Shattered plastic stator, crimped fins

Last edited by Diamond Cut on Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Excellent - thanks, #2 son - and thanks for all the help...................

The rusty bit is the DCX oem F37 'upgrade' with stamped steel TCC clutch housing, straight impeller vanes, and plastic stator - there are two large chunks of steel counter-weight spot-welded onto the housing circumference for balance - Jeep passes this off as a torque convertor.

The painted version is the Suncoast offering, with cnc-machined billet steel clutch housing for positive TCC apply, aggressive impeller vane angles for excellent low-rpm hydraulic hookup, and cnc-machined aluminum stator for reliable off-the-line 2.4:1 torque multiplication - oven-brazed fins for increased rigidity - a manly-man's Diesel torque convertor.

Shown is the oem Torque Convertor Clutch - the last pic is of the clutch plate area of the drive cover, showing the burned areas where the disk was not applied full circle - this was likely caused by warpage of the stamped steel cover - the disk has been applied with only partial contact - this would cause slippage and shudder, eventually burning the friction material and depositing it in the fluid, with eventual transmission loss

That pic alone speaks volumes for a replacement billet torque convertor like the Sun Coast version

The next-to-last pic is of an aluminum stator - but you got a plastic version of that in your oem DCX convertor, similar to the custom-finished one in the last pic - Sun Coast cnc-machined a new aluminum stator for the CRD 545RFE trans
Note also the oven-brazed turbine-fins in the next-to-last pic - no girly-man convertor, there, folks.

Also shown is the redesigned front cover plate with relocated front seal for the F37 pump upgrade.

We pulled the drivetrain assembly again yesterday because of that little o-ring on the t\c drive-collar - I remembered pre-filling the t\c with ATF+4 and lubing the collar outside surface, as is standard practice, but I could not for the life of me remember seeing that o-ring in-place - the instant we could see the collar on the replay, I remembered it.
Prolly didn't help that the oem o-ring is hi-temp orange silicone compound while the replacement is standard black compound, not easily noticeable.

Oem t\c has o-ring removed, Suncoast has o-ring installed - harrud ta see the diff, much less remember it when the ol' brain is tired

So, you get pics.

That's what terminal exhaustion will do for ya, tho - I knew it was bad when, as I passed the computer terminal, feet never altered weary cadence for the turn and sit down - now, that's tired, for me.

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Last edited by gmctd on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:52 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think pics won't go thru PM, tug - I got nuttin' so far.

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok i know it's off topic but here goes

http://www.tugboatlars.se/Mareflos102.jpg

give that one a look it's about as good as it gets