It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suddenly louder, no loss of power separator hose popped off?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Driving around town yesterday my jeep suddenly got louder while driving home(only 3 blocks away).
When I got home I checked the oil and transmission fluid. Oil was a quart low. I check it every fill up and it's been a week since the last fill up. Im at half a tank of diesel.

Found that the big hose that goes to the oil separator hockey puck had popped off and made a big mess so it probably has been off for a bit.

Sound did not go away after reconnecting.
Searched and read some posts. Most mentioned checking fuel system 1st. It has gotten warmer here over the last few days and last year I had air in the fuel head with the weather change. So I replaced my fuel filter and bled the air out.

Drove the CRD in to work this morning sound is still there. Sounds like it is close to the firewall. No CEL, no apparent loss of power. Didn't get a chance to stomp on it though as traffic was bad.

Vehicle history.
2005 liberty CRD sport.
Purchased around 90k miles. ~18months ago. Had GDE economy program and samco intercooler/turbo hoses.
Had transmission induced stall at stop signs soon after purchased. I replaced transmission fluid and filters with correct spec stuff. This went away.
~95K Had a glow plug CEL, Purchased MoPar kit for new voltage plugs and GDE programmer and updated to new code for glow plugs.
Changed timing belt, waterpump, ect at 105k myself. This went very well except the new crown thermostat housing leaked. I put the old one back on a week or two later when I found the leak.

I'm currently at 111k miles. I change the oil every 5k with shell rotella T6 if I can get it. If not it gets delo. I also put in new head light bulbs as one had gone out the day before all of this happened. Don't think that is related but you never know.

Do you think it could be an exhaust leak? Or that other transmission issue?

-Avery

18 Ram 3500 crewcab flatbed
kubota M6800

Post subject: Re: Suddenly louder, no loss of power separator hose popped
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's possible that detached CCV hose accounts for you loss of oil but I'm not convinced as any oil going thru an attached CCV hose would go into the turbo/thru the intercooler/into the intake/out the exhaust and the lost anyway.

You may need to degrease your engine, possibly use oil compatible UV dye, find leak. However with noise I'd immediately pull the air box to turbo hose. Check the hose for a tear on the bottom just in front of the turbo, check the turbo fan for play, and check the turbo supply line and drain line for oil leaks. On reinstalling that hose be sure the upper end touches or nearly touches the MAF sensor and don't godzilla the clamp lest you crush the air box outlet.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the input papaindago. I will check that out tonight.

On the drive home yesterday I had a pretty bad slam into transmission lock up after sitting at a stop light for a few minutes. Felt like I had been rear ended. I'm beginning to think it could be transmission related. Be fore leaving work I drove around the parking lot. I put the transmission in nuetraul and reved the engine to 2k or so while rolling the sound went away(this could also point to what your talking about). I still had the sound as the engine came back to idle. Also the sound iscompletely gone when coasting, but not when under anything more than super lite breaking.

Thanks will post back soon.
-Avery

kubota M6800

Post subject: no movement in any gear now.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Transmission just let go in the middle of rush hour.

Got a tow truck to bring it back to my house. Who knows of a good transmission shop that will put the suncoast parts in for me or could point me to a good how to on rebuilding it?

-Avery

kubota M6800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Any transmission shop should be willing to install a Suncoast or Euro torque converter. Heck my local DCJ dealer is willing to install Suncoast TCs.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

None in my area were willing to do so. My mechanic called to several. He does not have a high opinion of the local transmission shops. I'm getting a Mopar factory rebuild. I will swap in the torque converter later after it proves functional and I don't need the warranty.

kubota M6800