It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Service intervals??? and other stuff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:35 am 
LOST Newbie

OK so we picked up our new 06 Sport CRD today from Desert Dodge/Jeep in Vegas and while we love our CRD we can't stand the dealer we had to deal with here...I'm sure it's because I am an Overseas Carsales customer and will not be putting any money into their bank account but we were left with a bunch of questions after being told "your Liberty is on the lot" no explanation of anything just take your Jeep off my lot type attitude. Just so y'all don't think I'm paranoid I called said dealer 2 days ago when I left Japan to make sure that it was going to be ready, and when I arrived not only was it still in the storage lot but they had the wrong color and engine type as what I was picking up in their paperwork. Most of our questions we figured out with a bit of fiddling or some reading (all could have been answered in about 10 minutes if the dealer had taken the time or for that matter cared) What has me quizical is that the dealer directed me (in the little service coupon book) that my first service interval is at 3000 miles and every 3000 miles after that...I find this rather strange and short considering that it's a diesel and is supposed to be more durable, especially since they no longer give the 7-70 on the CRD. Anyone know if is really the interval for an 06 CRD?

Black 06CRD Sport, Yakima Safari cage, otherwise stock...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:33 am 
LOST Member

My '05 service book says 6,500 for the first oil change and every 6,500 after. Sounds like your dealer isn't very 'in' to Jeeps and just sells them because its another way to make profit. I was lucky to have a dedicated Jeep dealer close to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

6500 is the scheduled interval. As for myself I picked up a maintenance package that has 5,000 mile interval for the oil changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had the same experience with my dealer, and they are fairly good - just inexperienced with the CRD. The service book that came in my CRD was for the 3.7L gas engine and said 3,000 miles. They said they've ordered a service book for the diesel engine, but it's been a couple of months and they still don't have one. In the end, I just threw that 3.7L service book away.

The owner's manual has sections for 3.7L and for CRD in all the places where it makes a difference. It lists 6500 miles as the correct interval for the CRD, and you can probably go more than that if you drive mostly paved highway miles. Also, make sure to use the correct motor oil - another thing to check in the owner's manual.

Enjoy it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I beleive there is a service schedule A and B. A is for the colder climates with city/highway driving at 6500 miles, where as B is for light duty warm climate highway driving scheduled at 12,000 miles.

Safari Rack
All Husky lined
Full Mopar Armor / Olympic Rock Rails
Daystar 2.5 lift - Rancho RS 5000's
Moab rims
265/75/16 Kumho KL71 MTR's
Magnaflow muffler / DR perf module
Security system - German Shepard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:50 am 
LOST Addict

Ummm, right numbers I bellieve, but i think you've got A and B backwards - A is light duty extended, B is rough service "normal" interval.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Oops. was going off of memory. Or lack of it! :roll:

Thanks

Safari Rack
All Husky lined
Full Mopar Armor / Olympic Rock Rails
Daystar 2.5 lift - Rancho RS 5000's
Moab rims
265/75/16 Kumho KL71 MTR's
Magnaflow muffler / DR perf module
Security system - German Shepard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:04 am 
LOST Member

12500 miles for the same CRD engine over here in the UK, strange you guys have different intervals in the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:32 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

First off, welcome back to the States!

Secondly, sorry about the bad experience getting your CRD. That's a shame. I can hardly even recall the last car I had that was on a 3000 mile oil-change schedule! What a bunch of morons.

My dealer treated me very well and made sure I had the CRD-specific owners manual and every single scrap of paper in the building that said "Liberty" and/or "CRD" on it. I also got the 7/70 extended service plan that covers filter/oil changes at 5k intervals and also covers all parts needed for any potential repairs. Couldn't pass up that deal.

The manual says exactly what retmil46 said. I'm aiming at Service Schedule B, but will probably change at closer to 5k since...well, since it's free. Probably going to get the Shell Rotella and take it in to them to use though.

Ugg, did you get yours at Hall's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Actually, i think we have the same schedule in both countries. Sched A has first service at 12500, Sched B at 6500. But with the crappy high sulfur diesel we have (500 ppm allowed, 50 ppm everywhere else in the world), I'm not even going to wait 6500 before changing the oil myself, planning on every 3000. perhaps when ULSD is on line next year (less than 15 ppm sulfur) I'll consider going to 6500.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ugg, did you get yours at Hall's?

Yepper. I also bought the same service package. Too sweet to pass up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:22 pm 
LOST Member

There are two service routines on the CRD one for damaging environmental cars and one for normal, the sulfur content dust and altitude is one set of criteria as is massive stop start running.
In Scotland I am on a 7,000 routine service interval but our book also includes the aforementioned details too.
Yes Diesel is more durable but look back a couple of years and 161HP from a 2.8 Diesel is pretty high stress stuff for the oil to go through
Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Been doing 10,000 mile oil changes for years with a good diesel rated synthetic oil on the MB and VW cars. I don't plan on changing that OCI any time soon. I will do the first 2 oil & filter changes in the CRD at 5,000 miles and then go to 10,000 mile oil & filter changes. For those interested I will be using Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 oil & Mobil 1 synthetic oil filters.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:03 am 
LOST Member

I'm with Old Navy, and I'll be running 10K oil changes.

My regime is as follows:

Oil filter (Mopar, because I believe there is a difference for the CRD) and Oil (probably Rotella) every 10k.

Fuel filter and boost filter every 20k.

Air filter every 20k (or as needed; i'll keep an eye on that).

I'll probably do the tranny, t-case and differentials at 30 or 40k intervals.

Post subject: tranny, tcase and diff intervals
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:29 pm 
LOST Member

On the subject of trany, t-case, and diff oil changes, here's my experience:

I change the factory stuff at 30k and replace w/ Redline synthetic in all the above. It's crazy expensive but it's peace of mind and I leave it in for 60k before changing it again. I do check the levels at 30k and had to add a little to the rear diff on my Wrangler but was fine. Of course I had a manual xmission. Not sure if the auto needs more TLC.

I've recently become an Amsoil cult member so may use their stuff - not sure yet as I don't have xperience w/ their lube oil.

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm going to run with a 10,000 mile interval also , after the first initial change at 5000 miles.I'm going to change my oil filter and needed oil for filter at every 5000 miles on the regular 10,000 mile oil change.That will take care of any metal particles suspend in the oil. In the this article http://www.turbodieselregister.com/OIL_FILTER.pdf. The three oil filters K&N,Mobil 1,and deutsch seem to made by the same manf.but the deutsch is cheaper at autozone. Probably overkill , but i like to make sure my oil is filtered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:22 pm 
LOST Addict

crdawg wrote:
I'm going to run with a 10,000 mile interval also , after the first initial change at 5000 miles.I'm going to change my oil filter and needed oil for filter at every 5000 miles on the regular 10,000 mile oil change.That will take care of any metal particles suspend in the oil. In the this article http://www.turbodieselregister.com/OIL_FILTER.pdf. The three oil filters K&N,Mobil 1,and deutsch seem to made by the same manf.but the deutsch is cheaper at autozone. Probably overkill , but i like to make sure my oil is filtered.

I think the three filters are made by Champion Labs, and that's where the similarity stops. The Mobil 1 filter uses a synthitic polyester material, not sure about the filter media in the K&N, the Deutsch uses a paper element. There are big differences in cases, and other materials used in the filters. I believe in the testing the Deutsch was on the bottom of the quality list and the Mobil 1 was at the top. Remember the mfg makes the filter to the spec's requested by the retailing company such as K&N or Mobil.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: maintenance intervals
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am still waiting for both my Canadian warranty booklet and the scheduled maintenance booklet.
What I received is all in miles :o and my speedo/odo is in km. Of course I could easily do the conversion for the maintenance :roll: .
In the warranty booklet it says the warranty is only valid for vehicles sold in the U.S.A., fact is I bought mine in Canada - according to the book no warranty!?*
I told my dealer about this right away and he put the Canadian version on order for me about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Hmmmmm. What's with DC or am I driving a 'grey' import perhaps :?:

- Reese Pilot brake controller

Last edited by KJ79 on Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Schedule "B" Diesel, every 10,000 Kilometers

Schedule "A" Diesel, every 20,000 Kilometers

Does that help? My book has it in both K & M for the maintance schedule.

You must have misread the statement, the Jeeps warranty is valid in Canada.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: warranty
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:45 am 
LOST Newbie

OldNavy, I hate to disappoint you, but my manual states expressly that "this warranty is valid for Jeep vehicles purchased in the USA only". I showed this to my dealer and he admits it is for U.S.A. owners only. The only reference in the booklet to Canada is that when (US) owners travelling in Canada may obtain warranty work at Canadian Jeep dealers.
I am sure that in a court of law this warranty booklet would be found to be of exclusive coverage for USA Jeep owners.

I used to own a 2002 KJ and I had in fact specific Canadian warranty and maintenance booklets.

I'll give it a bit more time and if the dealer does not come thru I will call the DC Hot line.

- Reese Pilot brake controller