It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diesel Price Fix?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:50 am 
LOST Member

I live in Northern Illinois and up here diesel is about 3.40 a gallon, which costs about 65 bucks for a fill up. Today I went down south to Indiana to visit some relatives and diesel was only 2.32 a gallon! What the heck is going on here. A $20 price diff in fillups. Worth the 50 mile drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:45 am 
LOST Member

I don't think it has to do with price fixing, but more to due with supply and demand. Maybe their is a low supply in your area due to distribution problems or high usage. Those of us in the the South East had the same problem after Hurricane Katrina. We were shut off completly and prices sky rocketed. Everyone wants to blame the gas station owner or supplier for "gouging" but most folks don't realize that they are not charging for the fuel that is in the tanks, but for replacement cost. Now that the supply has returned to pre-Katrina levels, I don't see people complaining about the cost going down, but the store owner who bought at $3.20 a gallon is selling it for $2.50

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:53 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

I've seen a full dollar difference on prices also, depending on where I am. $2.90 in VA Beach, $3.90 in Jersey. That was a month or so ago though. Today, on the way to work, I drove by two stations in a 10 mile radius of each other that had a 65 cent difference in price of diesel. It's just plain goofy!

But, on the upside...at least they're not ALL charging $3.40/Gallon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:11 am 
In central Indiana I paid $3.70/gal for diesel just a few weeks ago at a local Speedway but at the same time the Flying J truckstop was already down to $3.12/gal. Today the local stores like Speedway that had to fill up their tanks with high dollar diesel are still at $3.00/gal while Flying J truckstop (with it's high fuel turnover rate) is down to about $2.35/gal.

Until the smaller stores can sell off their higher price diesel they are stuck with it at a higher price and an ever increasing low turnover rate. Meanwhile, gasoline at our local Speedway AND Flying J is at $1.89 today.

It appears the price drops are working their way from south to north as cheaper supplies from the Gulf Region are finally back online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:06 pm 
LOST Member

One wierd thing about the diesel is it wasnt the normal clear color I usually get in Northern Illinois, it was actually Blue Green! I keep finding differnt opinions on what exactly it is, either ULSD or most likely for Off Highway use?

Post subject: Diesel prices
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:35 pm 
LOST Member

off-highway is red in color so it's not that. Idk if they changed the color for ULSD. I *think* we already have ULSD here in Cali but I'm not sure. I do know that running B50 w/ Cali diesel my Provent doesn't have any sludge in the drain after 1,000 miles of use. The filter element is darker but nothing in the drain tube. Not sure if it's ULSD, the biodiesel, or both but I'm glad I installed the Provent as I don't worry.

Strange to see fuel in Cali cheaper than the midwest? I paid $2.89 last week for D2 here in NorCal. Guess I shouldn't complain so much!

Just for reference I'm in Oklahoma (Tulsa) for the holidays and D2 is $2.49 and regular unleaded is $2.07

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:19 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

The Liberty's my first diesel, so I'm a newbie to the whole concept, but maybe the blue-green is because the fuel is winterized...(shrug).

Filled up at Shell last night. $2.53/gal. There's a place in town that's cheaper ($2.21/gal), but they're an oil-change location, so I fear they might be adding a little "extra" to their fuel (and I don't mean winterizer).