It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: more crd news
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DC in europe is debuting for their new model year their 300 with the crd 6 cylinder engine.30 mpg with the torque of the hemi motor.once again only avaiable for the european market :evil: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:58 pm 
LOST Member

They put in the WK. Check out:

http://www.jeep.co.uk/jeep/index.aspx

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:20 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Anyone have the tech specs/dimensions for it? I wonder what a crate would cost. I'll bet that would drop into the Magnum quite nicely...eh oldnavy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:43 pm 
LOST Addict

You bet I would. They have them already in Europe. The 300 Estate is a Magnum with a 300C front end, the 300C sedan and Estate (Magnum) both have the V6 diesel. From what I hear the diesel will be available in US for '07 but may be '08 model year car with a early '07 release.

Here is a link to the info on the MB V6 Diesel enjoy men.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:09 am 
LOST Addict

Get'em to drop one of those V6's in a Dakota 4X4, and slumping truck sales would be a thing of the past. I know guys that would kill for a diesel pickup, but can't stomach the 40K plus price tag and a truck so large it negates any gains as far as fuel economy.

Give them a Dakota Quad Cab 4X4 with a V6 diesel for 30K that gets 30 MPG highway, and DC won't be able to build the darn things fast enough.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:27 am 
LOST Addict

retmil46 wrote:
Get'em to drop one of those V6's in a Dakota 4X4, and slumping truck sales would be a thing of the past. I know guys that would kill for a diesel pickup, but can't stomach the 40K plus price tag and a truck so large it negates any gains as far as fuel economy.

Give them a Dakota Quad Cab 4X4 with a V6 diesel for 30K that gets 30 MPG highway, and DC won't be able to build the darn things fast enough.
From what I hear the 2.8L CRD will be offered in the Dakota, V6 in the the Grand Cherokee, and LX platform (300C, Charger, & Magnum) cars. The Neon replacement will have the VW 1.9L 130 hp PD (diesel) in Europe and Canada.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:47 pm 
LOST Addict

[/quote]From what I hear the 2.8L CRD will be offered in the Dakota, V6 in the the Grand Cherokee, and LX platform (300C, Charger, & Magnum) cars. The Neon replacement will have the VW 1.9L 130 hp PD (diesel) in Europe and Canada.[/quote]

Now THAT'S what i wanted to hear! :D Are you getting this word of mouth thru the dealer, or is there a website or such that has a "news and rumors" section?

Did they say which model year and/or when, specifically for the Dakota?

guess they couldn't put the V6 in the Dakota, then it'd blow away a full size Ram Hemi, and everyone would cheap out and buy a Dakota. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:38 pm 
LOST Addict

retmil46 wrote:
Now THAT'S what i wanted to hear! :D Are you getting this word of mouth thru the dealer, or is there a website or such that has a "news and rumors" section?

Did they say which model year and/or when, specifically for the Dakota?

guess they couldn't put the V6 in the Dakota, then it'd blow away a full size Ram Hemi, and everyone would cheap out and buy a Dakota. :shock:
From tea leave readings and lots of time spent on the internet among other things.

The idea is a diesel in all major line's in US and Canada by start of '09 MY. Look for a VM diesel (3L, 24v, 368 ftlb torque, 217 hp, V6 from VM, yes the same folks that make our CRD) in the Ram 1/2 ton for '08 and look for Cummins to be replaced by a DD V8 turbodiesel by '09 model year from what the tea leaves are telling me. You might also see a diesel hybrid in some small platform models.

Myself it would be a tough choice between a VM equipped Dakota 4dr 4x4 and a Magnum with the MB V6 diesel.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:41 am 
LOST Member

The V6 like the 2.7 CRD 5cyl, are both Merc engines and the WK got it before Mercedes could find a fitment for it in Europe.

It averages around 1mpg less than a KJ CRD makes 218HP and enough torque to stun Superman, it is a real nice engine but time will tell if they cured the injector issues seen on the 2.2, 2,7 and 3.2 "CRD" engines
useless info time, we get the 2.2 CRD in the P/T cruiser it makes it as fast as the 2.4 and does around 40mpg

Perhaps in time places like this can muster enough interest in the 3.0 CRD to have it introduced but my marketing knowledge tells me in the US a noisy smelly diesel in a premium brand SUV will not go over as well as in the KJ series

Got also to say I drove a Hemi 300C and it was one of the highlights of my life, that is an awesome experience in the UK, just awesome,,,,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

The crazy thing about DC in the UK is they've just started importing Ram trucks (still left hand drive), which are far to big and thirsty for the UK so will only ever sell as rich man's playthings. If they imported the Dakota in RHD with a decent CRD motor they could sell loads of the things and would also be able to sell in Australia etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Derek Mc wrote:
The V6 like the 2.7 CRD 5cyl, are both Merc engines and the WK got it before Mercedes could find a fitment for it in Europe.

It averages around 1mpg less than a KJ CRD makes 218HP and enough torque to stun Superman, it is a real nice engine but time will tell if they cured the injector issues seen on the 2.2, 2,7 and 3.2 "CRD" engines
useless info time, we get the 2.2 CRD in the P/T cruiser it makes it as fast as the 2.4 and does around 40mpg

Perhaps in time places like this can muster enough interest in the 3.0 CRD to have it introduced but my marketing knowledge tells me in the US a noisy smelly diesel in a premium brand SUV will not go over as well as in the KJ series

Got also to say I drove a Hemi 300C and it was one of the highlights of my life, that is an awesome experience in the UK, just awesome,,,,,

The 2.8 CRD is a VM Motori not a Merc, it's an Italian built engine owned partly by Detroit Diesel (owned by MB) and Penskee Corp (not owned by D/C or D/C owned company's) and I'm talking about the VM VR 630 engine not the MB V6 that is put in the LX platform cars and Jeep Grand Cherokee in Europe. The VR 630 3L V6 is has same basic torque & hp spec's as the MB V6, but built or designed with longer usable lifespan then the MB and more for truck market.

I think the new diesels from MB and VM are quite enough to make people on this side of the pond to look with favor upon them.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:05 am 
LOST Member

Further to OldNavy,

Not only do we now get the 2.8 CRD but the VM 2.5 was used in this gen and the previous gen Cherokee (before Common rail was designed, had 8 valves and it made a whopping 90HP and 154lb ft of torque), needless to say performance and Cherokee diesel did not easily combine in one sentence other than if dropped from a C130 :wink:

The news this side is that they are reliable as the 2.8 is a direct decendant of the 2.5 and that has proved very very reliable.
I am concerned re the whole pro-vent thing however I am going to do some asking around over here as the way it is just ain't healthy?
I still feel from firsthand experience the VM is a better motor than the MB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:45 am 
LOST Addict

Derek Mc wrote:
Further to OldNavy,

Not only do we now get the 2.8 CRD but the VM 2.5 was used in this gen and the previous gen Cherokee (before Common rail was designed, had 8 valves and it made a whopping 90HP and 154lb ft of torque), needless to say performance and Cherokee diesel did not easily combine in one sentence other than if dropped from a C130 :wink:

The news this side is that they are reliable as the 2.8 is a direct decendant of the 2.5 and that has proved very very reliable.
I am concerned re the whole pro-vent thing however I am going to do some asking around over here as the way it is just ain't healthy?
I still feel from firsthand experience the VM is a better motor than the MB

I almost bought a Cherokee diesel at the local Jeep dealership back '86(?) but when I came back to drive it had already been sold. I think I would perfer the VM over the MB because of the non reusable block used by MB. Although for my use I would never put enough miles on the MB engine to ware it out and the idea of AWD & 7 spd tranny in a Magnum with the MB diesel is enough to make me start drooling.

As far as the Provent goes, I'm going to get one ordered after the first of the year. It may be a while before the ULSD comes along and I don't need clogged intake like VW's problem. However it was mostly cause by a poor intake design with a narrow restricted area at the turn toward the head and that cause a choke spot for soot & oil build up.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:18 pm 
LOST Addict

I checked out the forums at allpar.com . If what i gathered is correct, the 2.8 L will get some upgrades from the MB V6, like a piezoelectric injector system that is fast enough to do 5 separate injections during the compression stroke. Basic idea seemed to be that the 2.8 L Upgraded in the Dakota will be around 200 hp and 330 ft/lbs torque.

I'm hoping this is going to be a domestic offering, and not just for export.

if we can get them here in the US, I'll let my parents have the Liberty and I'll buy myself a Dakota!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:40 pm 
LOST Addict

retmil46 wrote:
I checked out the forums at allpar.com . If what i gathered is correct, the 2.8 L will get some upgrades from the MB V6, like a piezoelectric injector system that is fast enough to do 5 separate injections during the compression stroke. Basic idea seemed to be that the 2.8 L Upgraded in the Dakota will be around 200 hp and 330 ft/lbs torque.

I'm hoping this is going to be a domestic offering, and not just for export.

if we can get them here in the US, I'll let my parents have the Liberty and I'll buy myself a Dakota!!! :D
That sure might get me back to driving a PU truck. Love one in a 4dr, 4x4, Red, with automatic.

But there is also a lot of misinformation at Allpar and a lot of people who don't like the thought of MB & MOPAR mixing parts. :shock: :? :lol:

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:30 pm 
LOST Addict

yep, I originally bought an '04 Dakota Club Cab 4X4 in July of last year. Had everything on it to make it a good work truck - 4X4 full time, skid plates, tow package, trac lok rear end, heavy duty engine cooling, fog lights, bed liner, V8, big tires - but none of the power BS inside the cab, standard seats and old-fashioned roll up windows. Loved that truck, but didn't love 14 MPG during cold weather. :( $200 a month for gas to drive to work plus the payments.

With the CRD, now for the monthly payment I was making on the Dakota, I'm making the payment on the CRD plus buying enough diesel for an entire month of commuting.

I've told the dealers I don't know how many times - you drop a CRD into a Dakota, and I'll be waiting on your doorstep to buy one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:06 am 
LOST Newbie

Does anyone know if the CRD PT Cruiser is coming to the US? That sounds like a no-brainer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Possible but look for the Caliber (replacement for Neon) to have a diesel engine in the US first, D/C has bought and taken partial delivery of the VW 130 hp turbo diesel PD engine for placement in both Caliber & PT for export to mainaly Europe, but US and Canada are still being decided on as when they will have them available and with VM or VW engines for US & Canada. D/C is looking at diesels for all lines of it cars & trucks in the US in the next 2 to 3 years. They are leaps and bounds ahead of the other mfg's, with the possiable exception of Toyota and Honda, who are hard on there heals but don't have the ability to hit the US & Canada market as quick or heavy as D/C does with VM, MB,and DD diesels ready to go for Euro4 and CARB markets.

When these new diesels with the particulate traps & ULSD hit the US, the biggest markets will be CA and the Eastern states that follow CARB.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:12 pm 
LOST Member

oldnavy wrote:

As far as the Provent goes, I'm going to get one ordered after the first of the year. It may be a while before the ULSD comes along and I don't need clogged intake like VW's problem. However it was mostly cause by a poor intake design with a narrow restricted area at the turn toward the head and that cause a choke spot for soot & oil build up.

Ah Ha????, is the ULSD thing the reason for all the clogging of the OEM vent? as in Europe all we now get from the main oil companies is ULSD as well as ULSG I am wondering if this is mhy until I came to this board I have never heard of the phenomenon before, Thanks my frind I see I have a bit of investigating to do as my WG with the Merc Diesel at 40K did have some oil seepage around the intercooler exit to engine pipes,,,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes the oil collecting and leaking is only problem you have in Europe with ULSD fuel. The Mann ProVent would prevent the collecting of the oil in the intake tubing or as it is called here in the State's the intercooler and requiring draining on occasion thus preventing oil leaking onto parking spot. :D

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine