Pictures of the install?

Thanks,
Wes

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wesbronco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Here is few pictures
On the right of the yellow dip tick there is a plup (black with three wire). Unplug it and plug the DiGi CR in it , then commect the plug to the other end of the DiGi CR and secure the little box somewhere with a plastic strap.
You can not go wrong.... it is really plug and play . On the picture, I did not install mine because I need to go the dealer on monday morning for my oil leak ( see topic about the 5,500 miles and no more oil )

Jeep Liberty CRD Limited, Sirius, GPS, 6 cd changer, silver exterior and grey leather interior, heated seats, HID fog light, 4x4 select trac, Light bar, DiGi CR, trailer tow, Magnaflow muffler. Lots of torque lol.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2115081/1

Last edited by milou_1968 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi have the DiGi CR on the position 9, everything is fine so far . Does anyone tried to go to A,B
Thanks.

Jeep Liberty CRD Limited, Sirius, GPS, 6 cd changer, silver exterior and grey leather interior, heated seats, HID fog light, 4x4 select trac, Light bar, DiGi CR, trailer tow, Magnaflow muffler. Lots of torque lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

milou_1968 wrote:
Hi have the DiGi CR on the position 9, everything is fine so far . Does anyone tried to go to A,B
Thanks.

I'll let you know how it works. Ordered mine and it will be here soon. Will try A, B, C, and D to see how it works. Do you have any extra smoke with it on position 9?

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Right now it is in position C. I do not have any smoke at all and everything is working very well so far. It is hard to tell how much you gain with this but the engine feels very alive and respond really well. Mileage seams to be the same, around 22-23 in my normal routine 50/50 city/ hwy.
it would be nice to compare a crd without and get them side by side to see the difference.

Let me know about your experience.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Will do. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Digi CR came in early.
I set it to position C and connected it into the fuel rail pressure sensor per the instructions. Installed it and took it for a spin. Man, this thing really makes the CRD light on its feet, especially on takeoff and it smooths out the power delivery on the CRD. It has almost totally eliminated the turbo lag, and it pulls stronger in every gear. Most noticeable on low end and high end. When you first start out after installing it, it really seems pepped up, gets up to speed very quickly, feels very light on its feet from 0 - 40 mph. I notice it also shifts faster and stays in lower gears longer while pulling very strongly. No smoke even on wide open throttle!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Yeap, I do feel the same way . I love it :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Ranger1 wrote:
Ricky5 wrote:
You have a link for this tuner?

http://www.dieseltuning.com/index_eng.html

I recall a couple of Liberty owners who purchased their CRD's around the same time as I did (March 05) bought these. The early reports were fairly positive, with same mileage and better power. Downside was that they had to dial back to a 6 or 7 so as not to put the ECM into limp-home mode.

Have not heard anything about Liberty CRD owners experiences since then. I did hear from an employee of TST, concerning the EGT's - they were very high, some as high as 1300 F under full power. He thought the EGR system on the CRD was too agressive, overheating the exhaust gasses.

You should be considering a 2.75" (, or 3" system if you can get one at a decent price). Make sure it goes ALL the way to the back of the turbo, as most engines this size suffer significantly from restrictions in the cast dump housing.

2.5" is a bit low for the engine power output when you fit a Diesel Performance Tuning Module for more performance.

We are finding that fitting an improved exhaust system with a one of these modules makes a big difference to drivability and power across the rev range. How ever be very careful trying to bump the boost without appropriate precautions, or you will generate ECU codes from over boost. The over boost is an artifact of the VGT having limited resolution for its adustment. Sometimes up to 25PSI from the factory setting of about 10PSI. Thats NOT good.

Setting 6 with the above exhaust system is OK - but keep an eye on the EGT for long uphill at WOT.
Setting 7 is too high unless you have significant other performance mods. Thats MORE than an AFE or like air filter (BTW these are NOT good for water crossings in a 4x4).

We are seeing about than 40HP peak increase in most cars, but a very noticeable improvment even at the lower revs range. This is particualry noticable for sand or heavy off road use where the ability pull down to low revs instead of stall is important. Incidently this is also the same rev range you use day to day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dave,

In looking at the module you sell and the Digi CR, it appears that yours is different from the German built Digi. I do not see the DieselPower logo or any links to the Digi company, H. & N. Electronics GmbH. Is your tuner built by the same company? I don't see any information on your site as to what parameters are being modified with your tuner, or any dyno charts. Are they available? You didn't say whether your tuners modify boost, rail pressure, or just timing and fuel pulse width only. Which parameters do they modify?

I contacted Digi reps in Canada about the CEL issue, and they have recalibrated their module since the early days of the CRD availability in North America. They also claim that in their measurements, very little change in EGT's occured with their module. They further claim that they don't raise pump/rail pressure or boost, avoiding many of the issues that Edge, TST and BullyDog may exhibit by raising rail and boost pressures.

That being said, I'm in the process of ordering a set of boost and egt gauges for the CRD. Once I get them installed, I post a set of EGT temps at different speeds as well as the ambient temperatures.

I also installed a free flow muffler to assist with EGT's.

Regards,

Ranger1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ranger1 wrote:
Dave,

In looking at the module you sell and the Digi CR, it appears that yours is different from the German built Digi. I do not see the DieselPower logo or any links to the Digi company, H. & N. Electronics GmbH. Is your tuner built by the same company? I don't see any information on your site as to what parameters are being modified with your tuner, or any dyno charts. Are they available? You didn't say whether your tuners modify boost, rail pressure, or just timing and fuel pulse width only. Which parameters do they modify?

I contacted Digi reps in Canada about the CEL issue, and they have recalibrated their module since the early days of the CRD availability in North America. They also claim that in their measurements, very little change in EGT's occured with their module. They further claim that they don't raise pump/rail pressure or boost, avoiding many of the issues that Edge, TST and BullyDog may exhibit by raising rail and boost pressures.

That being said, I'm in the process of ordering a set of boost and egt gauges for the CRD. Once I get them installed, I post a set of EGT temps at different speeds as well as the ambient temperatures.

Regards,

Ranger1

here's a down to earth non sales speak response (hey I'm not a salesman!)

the ENG-TEK modules are manufactured to our requirements. As a result we dont push for the last HP, but err towards long term reliability.

Typically EU sourced modules modifiy the rail pressure. The digi unit is a rail pressure module. There is no ability for them to control anything other than rail pressure when connecting into that part of the cct.

We modify the rail pressure and pulse width. Increased rail pressures are now appearing on factory engines. It leads to better atomisation of the fuel, which in turn improves the burn. The improved burn lowers emissions and improves power. Many EU engines are going this route, as well as heavy diesels. However dont expect 25% power improvement from increased rail pressures - they dont increase that much.

The 2.5L 2.7L & 2.8L Jeep TD engines have been avail in Australia for some time (although not popular due to the high japanese car presence). The 2.8L being the last on the inline engines offered, & has been around for a couple of years. This includes the earlier 110kw and latest 120kw 2.8L engines. You are correct in that the earlier engine used a slightly different program (more aggressive).

Beware of modules that modify the boost on VG turbo's (lile the jeep, iveco, mb, etc). These are ECU controlled, and some have very course steppings and slow response times. This can result in excessive boost (up to 10PSI above standard has been seen). That is not a good thing. As am example the iveco & isuzu VGT only have 4 positions. This leads to some wierd power curves, and surges on power at the changeover points.

Boost can be modified, but be VERY careful, or ECU codes will be generated.

On the topic of EGT;
power requires heat (gas expansion to drive the piston)
The gas in the cylinder exnpands due to heat.
The more heat is generated by injecting more fuel
More fuel generates more heat*
more heat will translate to greater EGT under load
(diesels run hotter as they get richer)

Naturally improving air flow in out of the engine will lower the EGT some.

The only real modifier to the above is that better burn of existing fuel will generate more heat. The true test for EGT is a long hill climb at WOT while held in top gear. EGT's will vary (like boost) with different loadings. Its the MAX EGT you need to worry about. Normal (ie legal speeds, no trailer, no incline, no wind) operations should be between 600F & 700F. Small chages in engine load will cause boost to vary over a few PSI. Once you get to max boost EGT's will start to climb quickly if you apply more load.

To get more than about 200HP with reliability requiures other mods more than just the module. Beware of modules that have a lower setting for towing - this means they are pushing the reliability aspect on the higher settings.

We have many pre-programmed settings (selectable by switch), and the ability to adjust further with software. The units are configured to suit a vehicle ex factory. Those are the power figures we use. These are conservative.

EGT's will vary (like boost) with different loadings. Its the MAX EGT you need to worry about. We err on the safety side, this avoids warranty claims (usually from poor operators).

Hope that helps clear the muddied waters.
[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ranger1 wrote:
Dave,

Regards,

Ranger1

here's a down to earth non sales speak response (hey I'm not a salesman!)

the ENG-TEK modules are manufactured to our requirements. As a result we dont push for the last HP, but err towards long term reliability.

Typically EU sourced modules modifiy the rail pressure. The digi unit is a rail pressure module. There is no ability for them to control anything other than rail pressure when connecting into that part of the cct.

We modify the rail pressure and pulse width. Increased rail pressures are now appearing on factory engines. It leads to better atomisation of the fuel, which in turn improves the burn. The improved burn lowers emissions and improves power. Many EU engines are going this route, as well as heavy diesels. However dont expect 25% power improvement from increased rail pressures - they dont increase that much.

The 2.5L 2.7L & 2.8L Jeep TD engines have been avail in Australia for some time (although not popular due to the high japanese car presence). The 2.8L being the last on the inline engines offered, & has been around for a couple of years. This includes the earlier 110kw and latest 120kw 2.8L engines. You are correct in that the earlier engine used a slightly different program (more aggressive).

Beware of modules that modify the boost on VG turbo's (lile the jeep, iveco, mb, etc). These are ECU controlled, and some have very course steppings and slow response times. This can result in excessive boost (up to 10PSI above standard has been seen). That is not a good thing. As am example the iveco & isuzu VGT only have 4 positions. This leads to some wierd power curves, and surges on power at the changeover points.

Boost can be modified, but be VERY careful, or ECU codes will be generated.

On the topic of EGT;
power requires heat (gas expansion to drive the piston)
The gas in the cylinder exnpands due to heat.
The more heat is generated by injecting more fuel
More fuel generates more heat*
more heat will translate to greater EGT under load
(diesels run hotter as they get richer)

Naturally improving air flow in out of the engine will lower the EGT some.

The only real modifier to the above is that better burn of existing fuel will generate more heat. The true test for EGT is a long hill climb at WOT while held in top gear. EGT's will vary (like boost) with different loadings. Its the MAX EGT you need to worry about. Normal (ie legal speeds, no trailer, no incline, no wind) operations should be between 600F & 700F. Small chages in engine load will cause boost to vary over a few PSI. Once you get to max boost EGT's will start to climb quickly if you apply more load.

To get more than about 200HP with reliability requiures other mods more than just the module. Beware of modules that have a lower setting for towing - this means they are pushing the reliability aspect on the higher settings.

We have many pre-programmed settings (selectable by switch), and the ability to adjust further with software. The units are configured to suit a vehicle ex factory. Those are the power figures we use. These are conservative.

EGT's will vary (like boost) with different loadings. Its the MAX EGT you need to worry about. We err on the safety side, this avoids warranty claims (usually from poor operators). As an example yesterday (in our southern summer was 42C - 105F - we need to ensure we operate within safe margins in these conditions). This pushes EGT 3deg for every degree in ambient temp increase.

Hope that helps clear the muddied waters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote: "The digi unit is a rail pressure module. There is no ability for them to control anything other than rail pressure when connecting into that part of the cct. "

Interesting, especially in view of their statements from their website: "Unlike other manufacturers of diesel performance products that increase turbo charger boost pressures, ours achieve their power gains by strictly altering the fuel injection timing and duration."

I've emailed them with this information, asking how they avoid boosting rail pressure. It should be interesting to see their response...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

"We modify the rail pressure and pulse width....However dont expect 25% power improvement from increased rail pressures - they dont increase that much."

This must be why Digi shows 20% hp and tq gain. As regarding increasing rail pressure, I have concerns. A TDR test of many popular diesel tuners found that all of the rail pressure boosters increased it by 5000 psi, at any engine speed. They found that stock rail pressure ranged from 5000 psi at idle to 25,000 to 29000 at high rpm. This would seem to indicate that using a rail pressure booster would start at 10,000 psi at idle, unless programmed to revert to stock at idle, to nearly 24,000 psi at high rpm. Unless the rail pressure regulator, injectors and pump are over engineered, this would seem to lead to pump, injector and sensor issues at some point in time.

TDR also found that increasing rail pressure indirectly caused the ECU to increase injector pulse width, leading them to theorize that the ECU was attempting to correct for what looked liked low rail pressure. I am wondering how a tuner, any tuner, can only modify injector pulse width without raising rail pressure, if no other programming inputs are used to the ECU.

Last edited by Ranger1 on Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ranger1 wrote:
Quote: "The digi unit is a rail pressure module. There is no ability for them to control anything other than rail pressure when connecting into that part of the cct. "

Interesting, especially in view of their statements from their website: "Unlike other manufacturers of diesel performance products that increase turbo charger boost pressures, ours achieve their power gains by strictly altering the fuel injection timing and duration."

I've emailed them with this information, asking how they avoid boosting rail pressure. It should be interesting to see their response...

Increasing the rail pressure within limits is not a bad thing - if maintained in reasonable limits.

Under [url]normal conditions (ie fixed load)[/url], due to the increase in rail pressure, be a small change in timing, and reduced duration (to achieve the same injection quantity with increased rail pressure).

Low Sulphur fuel can lead to injection system leaks. This should not be confused with leaks as result of increased rail pressure. Even mechanically injected engines are very likely to leak if used with low sullphur fuel - even if they nevfer leaked before. We have experienced quit a bit of that during the change over to low sulphur fuel. USA is just commencing low sulphur distribution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:44 pm 
LOST Addict

If you go to one of the links off the Diesel Tuning website, a company in Oregon that upgrades and installs these modules on Sprinter vans, the explanation on the Oregon company website of how the Digi CR works is that it DOES increase rail pressure, albeit selectively according to their info.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:53 pm 
LOST Addict

DaveO, how about a one post overview of how your module works? I think you've covered a lot of it, but it's spread out over several posts and a little confusing.

What inputs does your module use, ie what does it hook up to? Rail pressure, timing, injection duration, etc? Does it limit rail pressure to below max factory specs? Does it have any built in safety limits, ie defuel at high EGT's? Most important in my book, how does it affect fuel economy when driven normally?

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

retmil46 wrote:
If you go to one of the links off the Diesel Tuning website, a company in Oregon that upgrades and installs these modules on Sprinter vans, the explanation on the Oregon company website of how the Digi CR works is that it DOES increase rail pressure, albeit selectively according to their info.

This is what the site in Oregon says... they specifically state that they alter the fuel pressure signals, not the fuel pressure itself.

Quote:"

The Diesel Power CR Tuning Module installs between the fuel rail pressure sensor and the ECU (engine control unit). Installation is plug and play and takes about 5 minutes. This module works with common rail systems and can sense which sensor it is connected to. It only modifies the fuel rail pressure sensor signal to the ECU and no other signals. This “logical thinking” module does not necessarily always modify the signal to increase fuel supply. It can leave the fuel supply at normal levels as well. The fuel supply is increased by increasing the fuel injector pulse width and not by increasing fuel pressure. There is no signal or change to the fuel supply pumps, fuel supply pressures, turbo boost or other operating parameters. The module increases the injector pulse width (or length of time the injector sprays) based on fuel pressure change in the fuel rail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ranger1 wrote:
"We modify the rail pressure and pulse width....However dont expect 25% power improvement from increased rail pressures - they dont increase that much."

This must be why Digi shows 20% hp and tq gain. As regarding increasing rail pressure, I have concerns. A TDR test of many popular diesel tuners found that all of the rail pressure boosters increased it by 5000 psi, at any engine speed. They found that stock rail pressure ranged from 5000 psi at idle to 25,000 to 29000 at high rpm. This would seem to indicate that using a rail pressure booster would start at 10,000 psi at idle, unless programmed to revert to stock at idle, to nearly 24,000 psi at high rpm.

If I read you right, this would actually be 34,000 psi at the high end. Some systems these days in stock form are running more than 30kpsi.

At any rate, if the pressure on the CRD rail might exceed 30kpsi with this module, those of us using biodiesel may want to take note of it. Biodiesel has been known to go through a state change called "flocking," which I think is a polymerization. It can make for a gooey mess in the injectors. Blending petro diesel in there is said to help reduce flocking.

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It may have been 24,000 psi max at the high end... I don't recall if they maxed stock at 24,000 or 29,000 at the moment. Either way, at some point the relief valve would probably trigger. If the tuners that overfuel use a spoofed low pressure signal to the ECU to get wider injector pulses, and also get a couple of thousand of psi extra, tapering down toward the higher end of the rpm scale, that's fine with me. I just don't care for maxing out 5000 psi over the high end limit of the pump and injectors. TDR theorized that the ECU's were altering other parameters to account for the higher power gains they were seeing, as they didn't believe that rail pressure would increase linearly past a certain value without triggering the relief valve. They did observe higher power without relief valve activation.

I'm waiting to hear back from Digi to see what their response is. Good point about biodiesel. Not a lot of testing data available at 29,000 psi with bio.