It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD or Toyota Prerunner
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I currently drive a 2003 Toyota Prerunner TRD 2WD with locker. I've been negotiating on an 05 CRD and feel I have a good deal but still have some concerns with relability. I'll be moving to central UT in Jan and my question for you UT folks is.. would the CRD be a better daily driver and weekend warrior than my prerunner. I've never wheeled in UT, I currently live in SC so any and all opinons welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well if you plan on wheeling I highly recommend getting 4wd. With a locker a 2wd is pretty capable, but lacks the low range and traction from the front wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:50 am 
LOST Newbie

4WD always beats 2WD (except maybe the Baja). By the way the 05 Liberty has a 7 year 70K warranty, in 2006 this warranty goes away.

Safari Rack
All Husky lined
Full Mopar Armor / Olympic Rock Rails
Daystar 2.5 lift - Rancho RS 5000's
Moab rims
265/75/16 Kumho KL71 MTR's
Magnaflow muffler / DR perf module
Security system - German Shepard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:41 am 
LOST Member

I traded in my 2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner TRD Dub Cab for my CRD. The Taco was supercharged with the 7th injector. It was pushing about 300 hp.... but I got about 15-16 mpg. The CRD gets about 24-25 (so far) BTW I drive about 2000 miles a month.

I loved my Taco, but with the price of fuel and the amount I drive..... do the math.

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

I live in UT. Spent a weekend last month wheeling a bit in Moab. Nothing too serious (had my family and alone). But the diesel was awesome. As the forum says, . . . Love that torque. Could not have done it without 4X4. Gas mileage to moab was alos great. I have had no trouble starting at 15 degrees F in the morning. The diesel comes with selec trac which is awesome on the snowy roads. I love mine!

Post subject: Jeep
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:28 am 
LOST Member

Well, expect biased responses on a Jeep forum but I would say that unless you need a pickup for hauling tall or otherwise dirty stuff, get the CRD. You'll get better mileage and more utility (for hauling people and stuff than a pickup) out of the Liberty. Easier to throw things in the back of the Liberty. Plus my wife won't drive a pickup :P

From my experience, plan to add $150 for a Provent and fittings and otherwise I wouldn't worry about reliability. N w/ the long warranty I wouldn't be worried.

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject: About Utah
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

In most of Utah you have lots of 4-wheelin choices. There are desert areas, and there are mountainous areas. A lot of trails go through both, but you can still choose which interests you. The CRD is awesome for climbing mountains with its low-end torque. In either environ there is one thing that dominates the landscape and that is ROCKS!

Advise: Get armor! Also a lift and lockers will be a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:04 pm 
LOST Member

I lived in Utah for 10 years. I would definitely get the 4WD Liberty over the Prerunner. The Toyotas are great in Baja but after your first serious snow storm you would be kicking yourself for not getting the Liberty.

'05 Sport 4X4, 3.7L - Black | Frankenlift II Premium, JBA KJ Lifted A-Arms 4.5 | Cooper Discoverer A/T3 - LT245/75R16, Load C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think I was being too cautious. Get the Jeep, dude! When it comes to rock crawling, there are two kinds of vehicles: Jeeps, and lesser vehicles.

Well, now I'm maybe not being cautious enough. The above is only my opinion - and my sons' opinion (they got me into Jeeps, not vice versa). :D