It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 CRD Grill Replacement Problem
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:40 am 
LOST Addict

I bought a new grill to mount a FIA blanket on. It arrived with both the lower outboad mounting tabs broken off.

1. Are these really needed?

2. It's cold here and I don't want to break any of the tabs on the existing grill when I remove it.

Looks like the top tabs should come off first, but then the bottom looks like you may have to insert a tool, etc...

Anyone done this successfully? (I'll try to get it as warm as possible.)

Thanks,

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:25 pm 
LOST Member

while I'd be careful switching out the grill in colder weather since the plastic is much more brittle and prone to snap. Wait til above 50 F I'd suggest or leave it sit in the sun a while. removing the grill is easy, I've done it a couple times now, and just last weekend to sandwich a tarp for a makeshift winter front.

All you need is a big flat head screwdriver. Work from one side to the other pop off the tab on the headlight, then press the next tab towards the motor and slide the screwdriver horizontal along the edge to help pop off the tab. There's a small lip and it will pop off once clear. The last 1 or 2 tend be be a bit tighter since the grill will be slightly twisted but just go easy and once all the tabs are off just pull the top down towards you like a tailgate and it will come right out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:53 pm 
LOST Member

Take the grill in the house to warm it up. Let it set for several hours, roll out the blanket and let it lay flat. Install the snaps using the blanket as the template. When you put the grill back on the jeep the blanket will be nice and snug and look good.