It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP- Intermittent rough running
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

folks, I have 2006 CRD with 32,000 miles and the Provent and SEGR. It has been carefully maintained. The fuel, oil and air filters were recently changed. I use 5% biodiesel blend.

Upon re-start, the engine sounds like it was running on three cylinders for 30 to 60 seconds but only after has been off for a short time. It does not happen on initial cold start or after the engine has had a chance to cool for one hour or more. This issue does not generate any CELs. Has anyone experienced this problem and what can be the root cause ?

Regards and a Happy Thanksgiving !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

is this the inital start right after you changed your fuel filter?

'05 Limited CRD Inferno Red Pearl Coat
Home made provent installed @ 35443, SEGR installed @ 35466, Fumoto valve @ 37500, trans and transfer case skid, In tank pump installed @ 43500, Suncoast TC & Transgo Shift Kit @ 44730, EGT, Boost, Trans temp gauges, Samco hoses, Rebuilt Trans w/ HD454RFE kit @ 56K, Inmotion Stage 2 @ 56K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mine has been doing this for the last 6 months. Dealer says cannot duplicate. Out of the blue for no reason, mine will do this too. After a shutdown and restart it's fine. I installed a lift pump hoping it would stop, but it still does it every once in a while. I'm living with it for now till it gets worse. I'm wondering if it might be a glow plug issue that's not working properly all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The fuel filter was changed 4 months ago at 30,000 miles. This does not seem to be related but i am not sure.

Post subject: Check for air leaks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Heater plug on filter housing was causing my problem over a year ago. Install a lift pump and say good bye to vacuum related air leaks.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Post subject: HELP- Intermittent rough running
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:19 am 
LOST Newbie

My 05 with 73k was running rough and mileage dropped from 29 to 25 mpg . Traced it down to a leaking fuel filter head. Replaced with new filter head replacement and mileage has returned to 29 on the freeway. I also have the SEGR.

SEGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks. I checked the filter housing and heater plug. No visual leaks. I wll drain bottom of filter and also bleed any air. If it does not solve the problem then I will proceed with the new fuel filter head.

Post subject: How to check the head for leaks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pump up the primer pump until it is hard to push down and hold it down. If your heater plug is leaking air it will be wet with fuel after pressurizing it.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Post subject: Re: How to check the head for leaks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:21 pm 
LOST Member

warp2diesel wrote:
Pump up the primer pump until it is hard to push down and hold it down. If your heater plug is leaking air it will be wet with fuel after pressurizing it.

I second the motion.

the reason you have to prime it to see if it leaks is it would be a vacuum leak and it wont get wet till its pressurized a little to push the fuel out.

and if you do it yourself replacement, make sure you get the needed heater plug. Design is different for the new fuel head ( which incidentally comes with a fuel filter too).

Skink super sliders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:07 am 
LOST Member

Hook it it to a heavy trailer, shut off the OD, and drive it like its a rental for a few hours. Diesel's need to be heated up and worked.

13 Edge Limited AWD

Post subject: do it!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Once my filter head started leaking, it didn't take long to get enough air in the system to "run on 3 cylinders" once or twice. Racor mod and lift pump will fix you right up. I should've done it even before I had problems.

2005 CRD, Racor Filterhead, elephant mod, straight piped, O.M.Emu HD springs/struts, Rocky Road strut cap, Old Man Emu HD rear springs + .5" spacer, skids, Al's A arms, Aussie Locker, TJM front bumper, Smittybuilt Winch, Yakima Racks, 245/75 Definity A/T's

Post subject: Re: do it!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:22 am 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

nalu wrote:
Once my filter head started leaking, it didn't take long to get enough air in the system to "run on 3 cylinders" once or twice. Racor mod and lift pump will fix you right up. I should've done it even before I had problems.

Which lift pump did you go with? Also, do you have a part number for the Racor that you used? I am going to do this mod next for sure. I have the CAT2 conversion, but just recently have been getting a vary infrequent air bubble that I have to bleed off. I think the writings on the wall.

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust

Post subject: Filter head mod
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just followed the suggestions in the thread. I believe it is in the CRD Tech section. Cummins Lift Pump, Racor 245? w/fuel heater, Omega fuel temp sensor, O'Reily's fuel pressure guage and brass fittings, diesel fuel hose.

2005 CRD, Racor Filterhead, elephant mod, straight piped, O.M.Emu HD springs/struts, Rocky Road strut cap, Old Man Emu HD rear springs + .5" spacer, skids, Al's A arms, Aussie Locker, TJM front bumper, Smittybuilt Winch, Yakima Racks, 245/75 Definity A/T's

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks to all for your advise. I did a thorough check on Saturday and found a loose drain plug at the bottom of the fuel filter. I also cleaned the MAF and MAP sensors and removed air from the fuel filter using the the primer pump. I drove over 80 miles on Sunday with several stops and the rough running problem seems to have gone away however I will plan on the Fuel filter and pump upgrades in the near future if it reoccurs.