It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trip Odometer Malfunction
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:57 am 
LOST Addict

OK guys, here's a new one. Yesterday afternoon I got in the CRD to go to work. I did my normal routine, turning the key to the ON position and waiting for the warning lights to finish their self-test before cranking the engine. As soon as the engine fired, the trip odometer started clicking off 1/10th's of a mile until it had added 2 miles, then stopped. Everything operated normally after this, so I started on to work.

About 8 miles up the road I stopped at a Shell station to get 4 gallons of dino until I was able to get to my normal station that sells B20. When I started back up, the same thing happened, the trip odometer clicking off tenths until it added another 2 miles. Again, everything operated normally after this.

I called the dealer service dept when i got to work, and it was a new one on them as well. We scheduled an appointment for Monday morning to bring it in and check it out.

There's been 4 other occasions where something quirky with the dash display happened. On 2 occasions, when i turned the key to the ON position, all the gauges went thru a full range gauge sweep, as if a module or ECU had been reset, or power had been disconnected. On 2 other occasions, shortly after the engine started, I'd get a warning chime, but no lights or other indications were present. In all instances everything operated normally after this happened.

I'm beginning to think that perhaps there's a loose connection in the wiring harness to the dash display.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The only strange thing I have noticed with the console is that every once in a while the gauges go through a full reset, similar to what happens when pulling the codes by holding the trip odometer button in while turning the key to the "on" position. Has only happened twice in the two months I've owned my truck.

Otherwise, goes through the normal operation when key is turned on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:12 pm 
LOST Addict

CRD4ME wrote:
The only strange thing I have noticed with the console is that every once in a while the gauges go through a full reset, similar to what happens when pulling the codes by holding the trip odometer button in while turning the key to the "on" position. Has only happened twice in the two months I've owned my truck.

Otherwise, goes through the normal operation when key is turned on...

That's what I'm talking about with the "full range gauge sweep", as if something had been reset.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I suppose then yes I have seen it. Never paid much attention to it, because it only happened a couple times and doesn't seem repeatable. I am taking my CRD in to have the transmission TSB performed (Oldnavy's post) this Monday so I will ask them about it.

I would be interested to know what you find when you take it in....