It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:32 am 
LOST Junkie

chrispitude wrote:
Call Inmotion and ask about buying an ECU from them. He had some for sale several months back.

- Chris

Thanks Chris that is an option however i'm not sure if the US ECU is compatible with my Euro model but then i suppose i could ask the dealer to reprogram it.

I wonder if an Inmotion ECU would work on my CRD :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:36 am 
LOST Junkie

Oops, didn't notice the different locale. If the ECU has a part number on it, maybe you could give it to him and see if he's got one that would work?

- Chris

Suncoast TC, Transgo shift kit, Inmotion, ORM, EHM, Magnaflow SS exhaust, Fumoto valve, EVIC added, Hensley TruControl brake controller, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LR-D in spring/summer/fall, FIA winter front and Blizzaks in winter

Post subject: This is the latest...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:22 am 
LOST Junkie

Here's a question for the electronic wizards;

I fitted a lift pump which blew with the fuse after the jump start.

The CEL appears error code P0610 which we now know is related to vehicle options, output speed sensor and comm with the bus.

How could i test if it is the speed sensor that is perhaps faulty as per the diagnostic scanner without buying a new sensor :?:

Secondly, is my ECU not perhaps confused now that the lift pump has been removed after it blew with the fuse although i have replaced the fuse and not a new lift pump yet :?: Would the scanner be able to diagnose this particular fault if the ECU is not programmed to control a lift pump :?:

If it's only a circuit that's blown and lets assume that it is the speed sensor,
with everything operating normally at the moment, could i not just bypass that particular circuit with a resistor or whatever to clear the CEL :?:

I don't know if i'm making myself clear but i'm trying to solve a mystery and hoping not to have to fork out big bucks for a new ECU.

Any help here would be appreciated :? :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:18 pm 
LOST Addict

The ECU doesn't monitor for the presence or absence of a lift pump, so you can rule that out as a possibility.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:17 pm 
LOST Addict

mackruss wrote:
Well i went to the dealer today and was told that my ECM was fried probably when i jump started it. To replace 735$ - these guys don't do anything else but replace parts. Strangely enough she runs fine, no limp mode but my ECM is fried, weird.

Any options for me, second hand or try and isolate the problem which i still believe to be a faulty output sensor on the gearbox as recorded by the scanner, can a scanner lie.

I see several ECU's for sale in the US for $150USD to $250 and above.

you should be able to check for continuity at the speedo sensor, as well as check for continuity between the sensor and the ecu.

I would have to double check, but poking at the wiring diagrams seemed to indicate that the speed sensor signal went into the BCM(body control module) and from there was either broadcast on the Bus or had a different dedicated line to the ECU(though some of this could be me confusing 2002 with 2005CRD stuff).

In the FSM pdf you can pullup the pinout for the speedo sensor, it will say the circuit number to the left of the pin function, for example a sensor ground might be K4, if you then search the pdf for K4 you can see everywhere that that circuit runs.

Makes tracking down circuit a lot easier, you can trace them through connections, splices, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

mackruss wrote:
gmctd wrote:
The quoted post tells the tale: dealer scantools can alter parameters - aftermarket scantools cannot - that is not to say that indiscriminate use of the DLC port cannot farkle the ECM (all three communication busses terminate in the 16-pin DLC connector), but in any case, the only way to recover is with a dealer scantool, DRBIII for '05<, Starscan for '06^ - if the dealer tech cannot recover a bum flash, a replacement ECM reflashed to your KJ's specifics is the only option - but, you will need to let Mr MoService do a scan to make that determination - apparently ECM initially tries to talk to a TCM - if no response, ECM figgers that there is not an automatic transmission involved, and configures for manual trans service - could also be the Euro version ECM looks for no input, since the missing TCM cannot possibly be online, but excess noise on the Buss can confuse the issue, so ECM assumes the TCM is there and configures for automatic trans - hence, the DTC - noise on the power buss can do the same, as in connecting\disconnecting jumper cables, battery charging, even grounding-out the positive side of the battery creates surge-related noise - dunno the intimate software mechanics fer sure, but that P0610 DTC does indicate your ECM is confused on some level

Time for a professional scan, aamompo

Well i went to the dealer today and was told that my ECM was fried probably when i jump started it. To replace 735$ - these guys don't do anything else but replace parts. Strangely enough she runs fine, no limp mode but my ECM is fried, weird.

Any options for me, second hand or try and isolate the problem which i still believe to be a faulty output sensor on the gearbox as recorded by the scanner, can a scanner lie.

you need to have the ECU reflashed to fix the problem and have the variant coding reset (this is part of the flash procedure). You only need to replace the ECU if you have a P0606 that won't disappear. Ask the dealership to do this first before replacing the module. You could try to disconnect the battery overnight but I'm not sure if it will do anyhting - worth a shot though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

MrMopar64 wrote:
mackruss wrote:
gmctd wrote:
The quoted post tells the tale: dealer scantools can alter parameters - aftermarket scantools cannot - that is not to say that indiscriminate use of the DLC port cannot farkle the ECM (all three communication busses terminate in the 16-pin DLC connector), but in any case, the only way to recover is with a dealer scantool, DRBIII for '05<, Starscan for '06^ - if the dealer tech cannot recover a bum flash, a replacement ECM reflashed to your KJ's specifics is the only option - but, you will need to let Mr MoService do a scan to make that determination - apparently ECM initially tries to talk to a TCM - if no response, ECM figgers that there is not an automatic transmission involved, and configures for manual trans service - could also be the Euro version ECM looks for no input, since the missing TCM cannot possibly be online, but excess noise on the Buss can confuse the issue, so ECM assumes the TCM is there and configures for automatic trans - hence, the DTC - noise on the power buss can do the same, as in connecting\disconnecting jumper cables, battery charging, even grounding-out the positive side of the battery creates surge-related noise - dunno the intimate software mechanics fer sure, but that P0610 DTC does indicate your ECM is confused on some level

Time for a professional scan, aamompo

you need to have the ECU reflashed to fix the problem and have the variant coding reset (this is part of the flash procedure). You only need to replace the ECU if you have a P0606 that won't disappear. Ask the dealership to do this first before replacing the module. You could try to disconnect the battery overnight but I'm not sure if it will do anyhting - worth a shot though.

CRD booked for dealer for Friday only, my question is, will the current error cause any further damage until then even although it's not a flashing CEL and it's comm related.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Shouldn't - ur ECM is looking for a TCM so it can activate the Torque Reduction Request to save the 545RFE, which you don't got one of - do your pennance, don't do any more jump\boosts, and go in peace, my son.............

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

gmctd wrote:
Shouldn't - ur ECM is looking for a TCM so it can activate the Torque Reduction Request to save the 545RFE, which you don't got one of - do your pennance, don't do any more jump\boosts, and go in peace, my son.............

Thank you Father...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

There is no way for an MTX module to think it's an ATX car all of a sudden because the two are entirely different calibrations - in other words, transmission selection is not just a setting that is done with the DRBIII. I'm guessing the problem is deeper than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Didn't see your response, back when - just fer grins'n'giggles, maybe you could check in the MDS system and see how many KJ CRD ECM's have been reported with DTC 0610, wrong transmission type - this has been reported on two separate forums within the last months resulting from same scenario: owner jump-starting a KJ CRD, one BUX-MTX, one US-ATX - betcha there's bunches more, if you start digging..................

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

Myself and a fella from Canada plus i'm sure some more to follow in the future :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

I actually just had to deal with this issue specifically - reflashing the module took care of it. Just something to consider for the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:09 am 
LOST Junkie

MrMopar64 wrote:
I actually just had to deal with this issue specifically - reflashing the module took care of it. Just something to consider for the future.

Thanks for the feedback, one dealer i went to said that i needed to replace my PCM so i'm off to another dealer to see what they say.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:32 am 
LOST Newbie

mackruss wrote:
MrMopar64 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, one dealer i went to said that i needed to replace my PCM so i'm off to another dealer to see what they say.

I had a backup of the ecu before the problem occured as I was working on a new map for it , so I got this P0610 on a KJ 2006 renegade cherokee CRD after the alternator shorted out when driving I was not there at the time, i am not sure if someone tried to jumpstart it, but after replacing the alternator, even reflashing the Rom does not clear the code, nor will any of my OBD scan tools clear it , perhaps a different scan tool can clear it I have used more expensive scan tools that are able to clear some codes i cant on the cheap obd interfaces, they can do more like program the injector codes so it really depends on the scan tool i think.

Perhaps you could give more detail of what you mean by reflashing the module ?

thanks.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:52 pm 
LOST Member

mackruss wrote:
MrMopar64 wrote:

@mackruss what part of South Africa are you in?

The Dealers have always been pretty useless in SA but are even worse now with the new Fiat/Alfa/Suzuki/Mitsibushi configuration.
I am currently in White River..Dealers worse than useless.

I saw a post here long ago where someone had the same problem and battled to get the Dealers to change the setting in the ECM for Auto/Manual gearbox but eventually prevailed. This was in the UK if I remember correctly!

Is yours a Bosch ECM?
There are Bosch Vehicle Service Centers around that may be able to help you if the Dealers cannot. They could not help me with the ECM on my 2002 Export 2.5L CRD in Strydom Park Randburg but try a search for them! :?

LHD 2006 CRDs have a known problem with the Fuel Filter Mounting Bracket damaging the wire harness going behind it but I do not believe that this is the case for RHD CRDs from a previous post that I was involved in years ago! :wink:

The Aussie Site http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com has the same configuration RHD KJs as we do so they can be quite helpful!

Post subject: Re: ECM - P0610
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just got this fixed on my 2005 CRD. It was caused by a bad jump start. It cannot be reset in a straight-forward way, but requires reprogramming part of the ECM. The only place I could find to do it in 3 months of looking was Pascale Performance Diesel in Warwick, RI. Patrick there is great to work with. email: Patrick@PascalePerformanceDiesel.com
https://www.facebook.com/PascalePerformanceDiesel/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:54 pm 

Please share if he is able to correct your problem.
I am sure others would like to know. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:05 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes, Patrick reprogrammed the hex table to delete the P0610 code permanently.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:27 pm 

lelandj wrote:
Yes, Patrick reprogrammed the hex table to delete the P0610 code permanently.

Just curious as to how the jump start went bad?
May be real good information for others as to "Don't Do This" when jump starting your vehicle?

P0610 – ECM or one of its supporting control modules detects an error.
Do you think the bad jump start could have actually damaged one of the ancillary modules during the jump start?
Did you get any other DTC's indicating which module?

By reming out or deleting the P0610 DTC did you simply mask over another problem? :shock:

:POPCORN:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount