It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ECM - P0610
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:15 am 
LOST Junkie

I've just returned from a short trip and had to jump start the CRD and now i have a P0610 which i can't clear.

Checked a web site and this code is apparantly P0610 Control Module Vehicle Options Incorrect

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by mackruss on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Correct - the Diesel ECM looks for input from a TCM, indicating an automatic transmission is in service - if that signal is not present, ECM assumes manual transmission - you might try removing the ECM connectors, then reinserting them, which burnishes the contacts - if there is a control module on the turbo-side fender back of the airbox, try R&R'ing those connectors, also - all with battery power disconnected, of course - reconnect power, see what transpires

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:12 pm 
LOST Junkie

gmctd wrote:
Correct - the Diesel ECM looks for input from a TCM, indicating an automatic transmission is in service - if that signal is not present, ECM assumes manual transmission - you might try removing the ECM connectors, then reinserting them, which burnishes the contacts - if there is a control module on the turbo-side fender back of the airbox, try R&R'ing those connectors, also - all with battery power disconnected, of course - reconnect power, see what transpires

Thanks, i tried the battery disconnect earlier on today but hasn't helped so i'll try the ECM disconnect. I'm hoping i haven't damaged the ECM when i cabled started the CRD with a power surge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:59 am 
LOST Junkie

I disconnected everything i could see and then reconnected but the CEL is still on.

Could the connector on the gearbox be faulty and perhaps not sending a signal to the ECM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Any of the connectors could be faulty - faulty connectors give same symptoms as faulty switches, sensors, etc
- first thing to look for is oxidation and corrosion, as all the pins and terminals are tinned copper or brass
- next would be frayed insulation, or chafed on transmission case, or burned on exhaust pipe, broken wires, loose crimps
- next would be loose or otherwise damaged pins\terminals in the connector shells, where the female\male components had been deformed, preventing firm electrical connection

Does your Euro KJ have a module on the turbo-side fender?

Clearing a CEL for a communications error likely requires a scantool, as that is a critical error - scantool will point to specific failure area, which may even require an ECM reflash

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Last edited by gmctd on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:08 am 
LOST Junkie

gmctd wrote:
Any of the connectors could be faulty - faulty connectors give same symptoms as faulty switches, sensors, etc
- first thing to look for is oxidation and corrosion, as all the pins and terminals are tinned copper or brass
- next would be frayed insulation, or chafed on transmission case, or burned on exhaust pipe, broken wires, loose crimps
- next would be loose or otherwise damaged pins\terminals in the connector shells, where the female\male components had been deformed, preventing firm electrical connection

Does your Euro KJ have a module on the turbo-side fender?

The ECM is on the right side looking from the front and there are about 3 connectors on the left hand side next to the airbox.

I have disconnected the main unit on the right but not the connectors on the left hand side or the one on the gearbox. I'm not sure where the connector is on the gearbox either.

Let me explain what happened, tried to start her and she turned over twice and then gave the battery flat click click. Cluster lights were on and radio were on so the battery wasn't dead. I then jumped started her from a GC
and then i noticed that she had thrown an error when pulling off. On the way home, i switched her off and on about 4 times but the CEL would stay on. I'm just wondering if there was a power surge that may have blown something but then wouldn't the fuse blow?

[img][URL=http://s385.photobucket.com/albums/oo292/mackruss/?action=view&current=IMGA0794.jpg][IMG]
[/img]Image

[img][img]http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo292/mackruss/IMGA0791.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow! That is a super-clean engine bay, if that area is any indication - ok, so no module

You'll need to get a scantool on it, as ECM may require reflash to de-confuse it - worst-case, replacement ECM, as that is a hard communication error over the PCI buss, servicing the TCM, ABS, BCM, and ECM - thus, the hybrid label for the KJ CRD's

You might also consider getting Autoenginuity Enhanced for DCJ - pcware scantool monitors everything the dealer scantool looks at, so is very helpful in understanding engine function, plus enhances troubleshooting when the need arises - plus, you could prolly recoup the ~$300USD cost by aiding and abetting other CRD's and DCJ vehicles in your area of the world

DRBIII for '04-'05's is ~$3000USD pre-owned, Starscan for '06^ is also ~$3000USD pre-owned - Autoenginuity covers all years, incl Cummins and all gassers (patooie!): I4's, V6's, V8's, Hemi's

Autoenginuity monitors all OBD2 and CAN functions, incl Fuelrate, Boost, Rail Pressure, all drivetrain functions, but does not allow any commanded tests, option reconfiguration, or reflash

You prolly should also get your battery load-tested, as the CRD doesn't start on low battery voltage - BCM and Front module senses the loaded voltage, refuses startup if not within spec - that's protection against impending battery failure

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Last edited by gmctd on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

Cleaned it up before the photo shoot :wink:

I guess then i'll have to ask the dealer to reflash and see if the CEL clears :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BTW, Mackruss - excellent pics, very revealing:

Folks, there is the elusive turbo controller, replete with solenoid-operated vacuum regulator, filter and reservoir

Also, observe and weep, for there is the clearly-exposed DCJ part number for the mystical and legendary Euro ECM, configured for manual transmission service - P56044773AD - ennybody wanna lose their 545RFE?

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

gmctd wrote:
Wow! That is a super-clean engine bay, if that area is any indication - ok, so no module

You'll need to get a scantool on it, as ECM may require reflash to de-confuse it - worst-case, replacement ECM, as that is a hard communication error over the PCI buss, servicing the TCM, ABS, BCM, and ECM - thus, the hybrid label for the KJ CRD's

You might also consider getting Autoenginuity Enhanced for DCJ - pcware scantool monitors everything the dealer scantool looks at, so is very helpful in understanding engine function, plus enhances troubleshooting when the need arises - plus, you could prolly recoup the ~$300USD cost by aiding and abetting other CRD's and DCJ vehicles in your area of the world

DRBIII for '04-'05's is ~$3000USD pre-owned, Starscan for '06^ is also ~$3000USD pre-owned - Autoenginuity covers all years, incl Cummins and all gassers (patooie!): I4's, V6's, V8's, Hemi's

Autoenginuity monitors all OBD2 and CAN functions, incl Fuelrate, Boost, Rail Pressure, all drivetrain functions, but does not allow any commanded tests, option reconfiguration, or reflash

You prolly should also get your battery load-tested, as the CRD doesn't start on low battery voltage - BCM and Front module senses the loaded voltage, refuses startup if not within spec - that's protection against impending battery failure

That's a new battery and that's why i cant understand why she wouldn't want to crank her over. Nothing was left on over night to drain the voltage.

I found this post on the P0610 but i dont grasp what is being discussed here.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... 610#154239

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd have it checked, anyway - could be a weak cell, even in a new battery - or possibly was not in a state of full charge when you got it - and, thanks for the pics - very useful for several threads

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

By following a specific procedure, DTC's will display on your odometer - if you read the code on your odometer display, the last two digits are likely reversed - dealer replaced the culprit ECM in that instance, rather than a reflash - all 0600 to 0610 DTC's are communication-related errors, which may prompt ECM replacement as the fix, rather than taking chances on getting even more errors - as stated earlier, comm errors are critical, sometimes fatal, errors

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

gmctd wrote:
By following a specific procedure, DTC's will display on your odometer - if you read the code on your odometer display, the last two digits are likely reversed - dealer replaced the culprit ECM in that instance, rather than a reflash - all 0600 to 0610 DTC's are communication-related errors, which may prompt ECM replacement as the fix, rather than taking chances on getting even more errors - as stated earlier, comm errors are critical, sometimes fatal, errors

How do i get the code on the tripmeter :?: and the scanguage refers to my VSS which could possibly be a faulty sensor on the gearbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The code reading capability seems to have been removed on the 06's. On the 05's, you could toggle the key on-off-on 3 times and the codes would appear in the odometer display.

If you're lucky, you just got a PCM/TCM/BCM/God knows what other XCM all jumbled and a battery removal/code clearing may get you back up and running. More likely is the over-voltage spike from both alternators charging at once fried one or more computers and you're in for an intensive electronic module replacement session at your dealership.

It was considered neighborly in decades past to provide a jump-start, but that was when generators and voltage regulators were all copper coils and mechanical. Today's electronics mean just say no, call a tow truck, it will cost less in the long run.

Good luck.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

This code according to the manual says " incorrect coding between manual and auto transmission or vice versa. Upon inspecting the trans i found a connector and unplugged it to clean it out. Replugged but still have a CEL.

I cannot seem to find this connector in the manual so i'm not sure what part i need to order if i want to take a chance without having to go to the dealer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Unplug and reseat all those connectors on the turbo-side fender bracket - you'd still be better served to have the service tech Starscan it, as that is an error on the communication buss

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

gmctd wrote:

Is it possible to change some settings with a scantool as i had an ELM unit connected but didn't work and then an autotap connected which gave me some readings via laptop.Is it possible that one of the default transmission settings could of been altered?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The quoted post tells the tale: dealer scantools can alter parameters - aftermarket scantools cannot - that is not to say that indiscriminate use of the DLC port cannot farkle the ECM (all three communication busses terminate in the 16-pin DLC connector), but in any case, the only way to recover is with a dealer scantool, DRBIII for '05<, Starscan for '06^ - if the dealer tech cannot recover a bum flash, a replacement ECM reflashed to your KJ's specifics is the only option - but, you will need to let Mr MoService do a scan to make that determination - apparently ECM initially tries to talk to a TCM - if no response, ECM figgers that there is not an automatic transmission involved, and configures for manual trans service - could also be the Euro version ECM looks for no input, since the missing TCM cannot possibly be online, but excess noise on the Buss can confuse the issue, so ECM assumes the TCM is there and configures for automatic trans - hence, the DTC - noise on the power buss can do the same, as in connecting\disconnecting jumper cables, battery charging, even grounding-out the positive side of the battery creates surge-related noise - dunno the intimate software mechanics fer sure, but that P0610 DTC does indicate your ECM is confused on some level

Time for a professional scan, aamompo

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:59 am 
LOST Junkie

gmctd wrote:
The quoted post tells the tale: dealer scantools can alter parameters - aftermarket scantools cannot - that is not to say that indiscriminate use of the DLC port cannot farkle the ECM (all three communication busses terminate in the 16-pin DLC connector), but in any case, the only way to recover is with a dealer scantool, DRBIII for '05<, Starscan for '06^ - if the dealer tech cannot recover a bum flash, a replacement ECM reflashed to your KJ's specifics is the only option - but, you will need to let Mr MoService do a scan to make that determination - apparently ECM initially tries to talk to a TCM - if no response, ECM figgers that there is not an automatic transmission involved, and configures for manual trans service - could also be the Euro version ECM looks for no input, since the missing TCM cannot possibly be online, but excess noise on the Buss can confuse the issue, so ECM assumes the TCM is there and configures for automatic trans - hence, the DTC - noise on the power buss can do the same, as in connecting\disconnecting jumper cables, battery charging, even grounding-out the positive side of the battery creates surge-related noise - dunno the intimate software mechanics fer sure, but that P0610 DTC does indicate your ECM is confused on some level

Time for a professional scan, aamompo

Well i went to the dealer today and was told that my ECM was fried probably when i jump started it. To replace 735$ - these guys don't do anything else but replace parts. Strangely enough she runs fine, no limp mode but my ECM is fried, weird.

Any options for me, second hand or try and isolate the problem which i still believe to be a faulty output sensor on the gearbox as recorded by the scanner, can a scanner lie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:28 am 
LOST Junkie

Call Inmotion and ask about buying an ECU from them. He had some for sale several months back.

- Chris

Suncoast TC, Transgo shift kit, Inmotion, ORM, EHM, Magnaflow SS exhaust, Fumoto valve, EVIC added, Hensley TruControl brake controller, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LR-D in spring/summer/fall, FIA winter front and Blizzaks in winter