It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ECM - P0610
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

There are a lot of comments and cries for help on P0610 in CRDs on the web, dating back to 2007. Many of them cite the onset of this error code to an attempt to jumpstart the Jeep (successful or otherwise). Other potential causes are sometimes mentioned as possibilities, such as grounding problems or the transmission being detected as manual (possible only in Europe), but the most definitive posts almost always point to a recent jumpstart. Green Diesel Engineering replied to my inquiry with the statement that the cause is almost always a jumpstart, but they no longer do ECM tuning. My CRD ran fine for over a year with the CEL on before I could get it fixed and others posted that their Jeeps did also, so I don't think any other modules were damaged by the jumpstart. No other OBD codes were displayed. The dealer thought it was a transmission problem and changed the transmission oil and filter, with no effect. Having an internal code available that can't be cleared without reprogramming the ECM is clearly a defect that should never have been allowed by Daimler/Chrysler. Bottom line: it's better to replace the battery or have it towed rather than to trying to jumpstart a CRD (and possibly other models).

Post subject: Re: ECM - P0610
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:12 pm 

lelandj wrote:
There are a lot of comments and cries for help on P0610 in CRDs on the web, dating back to 2007. Many of them cite the onset of this error code to an attempt to jumpstart the Jeep (successful or otherwise). Other potential causes are sometimes mentioned as possibilities, such as grounding problems or the transmission being detected as manual (possible only in Europe), but the most definitive posts almost always point to a recent jumpstart. Green Diesel Engineering replied to my inquiry with the statement that the cause is almost always a jumpstart, but they no longer do ECM tuning. My CRD ran fine for over a year with the CEL on before I could get it fixed and others posted that their Jeeps did also, so I don't think any other modules were damaged by the jumpstart. No other OBD codes were displayed. The dealer thought it was a transmission problem and changed the transmission oil and filter, with no effect. Having an internal code available that can't be cleared without reprogramming the ECM is clearly a defect that should never have been allowed by Daimler/Chrysler. Bottom line: it's better to replace the battery or have it towed rather than to trying to jumpstart a CRD (and possibly other models).

That is good information to know, thanks for sharing, it may prevent someone else from causing the same issue from jumpstarting.
Bottom line, like you said, install a new battery.
Or it might be safe to use a jump box since it does not provide any charging current like when using another vehicle to jump??? :juggle:
One should also be very careful of using a battery charger's start selection since it could cause the same issue. (High Amps/voltage)
Probably best to disconnect the battery cables from the battery when using any higher rated amp battery charger.

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount