It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible Group Buy for RACOR CCV Filter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:41 pm 
LOST Addict

I just talked with Marty at Mid-Atlantic Engine Supply and list for the V4500 CCV is $298.35, with group buy of 10 we can have them for $179.01 + S&H. The CCV has to have 2 fittings ordered (they are o'ring sealed) to connect the hose to the canister, we can get them in 3/4" so we would not need to do any hose adapting to fit our 3/4" fittings. The adaptors are $12.30 each, after 40% discount that would be $7.38 each. The spare filter is $37.90 list and if 10 are bought our cost would be $22.74, which I think we should do because it should give us 6+ years without needing to order a filter. This would have the total cost at $216.51 which would include the CCV4500 unit with one (1) spare filter and two (2) CCV 55251 fitting adaptors.

Link to the RACOR page at Mid-Atlantic

I was comparing sizes of the Mann & RACOR units and they are basically the same size so the Racor should fit the same place a couple others have installed the Mann units. Myself I think the RACOR CCV is the way to go, because of the filter life and change indicator telling when filter needs changing that offsets the cost differential. The $40 once a year for a Mann filter is kind of costly and will add at least $80 cost to the Mann unit to get where a RECOR will need it's first filter. I think the final install will actually cheaper with the RACOR.

Once we have enough here that say yes, we each just call them at 1-800-257-8133 and ask for Marty. We will use our individual credit cards for the purchace. Once he has recieved the 10 orders he will process the charge and ship the filters.

This is the unit I want guys and I hope enough of you do also.

Ok guys I need feed back here, so if you want in please post here so we know where we are in this procress.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I will read more up on this unit, but I trust your opinion. I would be interested. It's just a matter of getting the cash. So once we know if we have enough people I'll know if I have enough cash! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:54 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Wow! Nice savings! Count me in! I'll talk to my brother too (he bought a CRD right after me), so I might be speaking for two orders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:26 pm 
LOST Member

I'll take it!
Count me in for one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:20 pm 
LOST Member

I'll take one as well

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Man I wish we had someone in NJ who could drop by the Mid-Alantic store and do a check on fitting, just doing the check fitting with a tin can is not enough. Then of course I was saying the same to myself about the Provent filter. Everytime I go and look at the space in the CRD my first reaction is no way will this thing fit. Doesn't matter which one either, I was figuring to have to remote mount under the CRD when I first got the Libby.

Well the wife has finally gotten home, I guess I will go and do a look see again.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I in too,hope that we get enough people to get this going

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm in! But i will need lots of instruction from the experts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:33 pm 
LOST Member

I'm new to the forum, but not new to diesels. I've personally pulled and cleaned the intake on my 2003 Jetta TDI becuase of build up. Needless to say I do not want a repeat performance on the Jeep so I'm in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:51 pm 
LOST Member

OK, I do have one concern - the port configuration on the provent has them point the same way which makes installation easier. The Racor seems to have the ports 180 degrees apart and I'm not sure that it will fit. Any thoughts on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Maybe you heard of the CCV's I designed for the TDI? Yup, I'm the same OldNavy from the VW TDI Club Forum and the TDI in the pictures is my wife's that we just traded in for the CRD. I came up with this because of the lack of room for the ProVent under the hood of a TDI.

Check out this CCV. This is a machine shop that made them for the TDI club members, that has since been bought out and no longer builds the things.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Reggie wrote:
OK, I do have one concern - the port configuration on the provent has them point the same way which makes installation easier. The Racor seems to have the ports 180 degrees apart and I'm not sure that it will fit. Any thoughts on this?
It does appear the Provent can have the ports rotated to desired position, and the RACOR can't which would be a real hang-up. This is why I was wanting people to look these over and maybe catch something I missed.

Anyone else with any other possible mounting ideas for these? If not, I think this may make the RACOR a non starter.

The idea of $40 a year for filters really irks me. But then maybe the filter material can be removed from the filter holder and replaced by something we can get easier and on the cheap. Something like the foam stuff that cover the outside of some lawnmower airfilters and would be able to be removed, cleaned and reinstalled.

OK, I think I've just talked myself out of the RACOR guys.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:51 pm 
LOST Member

Count me in as well.

Yukon Rear Axles
265/75 16 TrXus M/T's and Bridgestone Revo's
Fumoto Valve
Aero Turbine 2525
Rock Lizard Komodo Bumper
Sundance Custom's Front Bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:43 am 
LOST Addict

Guys, if it'll help, I'll do some "real world" measurements on my Provent and the space available. I know the pdf file for the Provent shows total height as being something close to 9", but the bottom inch or two is tapered for the drain. I'll measure and see how tall the full diameter portion is.

The Racor could work if one of the o-ring fittings they supply has a 90 degree elbow.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:26 am 
LOST Newbie

I have been considering the Racor 4500 also. I like that the filters are cheaper, and I could get it from my local diesel performance shop. I downloaded the pdf on it though, the size seems a couple inches larger in diameter than the Provent. I am not sure where it would fit. I called and talked to one of Racor's engineers, he said you can rotate the top part of the filter to adjust the orientation of the inlet/outlet. I also looked into a Donalson filter, but they are mostly making ones intended for the heavy truck market, too big yet again for our purposes. It would be great if VM Motori would just re-design the seperator provided with the engine so that it would actually do its job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:26 am 
LOST Addict

oz_crd wrote:
I have been considering the Racor 4500 also. I like that the filters are cheaper, and I could get it from my local diesel performance shop. I downloaded the pdf on it though, the size seems a couple inches larger in diameter than the Provent. I am not sure where it would fit. I called and talked to one of Racor's engineers, he said you can rotate the top part of the filter to adjust the orientation of the inlet/outlet. I also looked into a Donalson filter, but they are mostly making ones intended for the heavy truck market, too big yet again for our purposes. It would be great if VM Motori would just re-design the seperator provided with the engine so that it would actually do its job.
Oz would it be possible for you to check the RACOR out and see if it will fit in the same spot the ProVent does? Can the ProVent inlet/outlet can be adjusted to where they are on the same side or obsite each other. Can the RACOR do this?

Here is a link to where I'm hosting retmil 46's photo's of his install of the provent in his CRD. As you will see it's a real tight fit.

PS: Thanks for doing the extra measuring & photo's for us Mitch. If you could, look the filter assembly over and see if the filter material could possibly be taken off the filter holder and replaced with something of our own making.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:39 pm 
LOST Member

Old Navy,

I actually bought one of your devices, nicely made, by the way. I eventually added another inline seperator. I'm just not sure if there is enough room for the Racor if the ports are 180 degrees apart. I'll keep poking around to see if I can find an alernative location for the Racor. If it is any consolation, the filters for the provent run about $30 from http://www.airnowsupply.com/tdi/index.htm

I looked at the brochure for the Provent, but it did not list expected life of the element. Maybe it will last longer than a year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:52 pm 
LOST Addict

I'll get out tomorrow and do the measurements and such on mine. Unfortunately, I have to work this afternoon, scheduled Saturday overtime for the entire plant. Gotta get those 18 wheelers out the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:57 pm 
LOST Addict

P.S., I've also got a spare filter element that i ordered, I'll take some pics of that too so you can check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Navy,
I tried doing a mock fitting by finding stuff around the house that came close to being the same size as the Racor. The closest thing I could come up with was one of those big coffee cans, and I couldnt find anywhere that something that large could sit under the hood of my CRD. I think you could rotate the top part of the racor so that both inlet and outlet are lined up, it just seems like it would be a hard fit. I thought the one idea you put out about running hoses down and mounting the filter remotely sounded interesting. Any good ideas along those lines? Is there room between any of the skid plates and components to put one?