It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scantool Problem with CRD: GMCTD?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:29 pm 
LOST Addict

2005 CRD, 49K: When we first got it at 20K, it had (according to VIP) already received all the latest "updates" (including F37) and one that I recall was to allow "generic" scanners to work. Soon after, I bought an SP Diesel module. This had a propensity to set a particular code and turn on the CEL, so I bought an Actron "pocket" scanner. This worked perfectly to detect and "clear" this code, severl times. At some point the SP module developed a problem that made the vehicle barely run, so I stopped using it. Hadn't used the scanner for several months, then the CEL came on. This time the scanner indicated "no codes". Jeep dealer scanner picked picked up a failed senser, though. They replaced it, cleared the code and all was well for months.

(BTW, this predated sending the OEM ECU along with a "junkyard" ECU to InMotion to be "cloned" and reprogrammed.)

Recently, I reinstalled the OEM ECU and put in the SEGR "bypass" plug to prep for Mass state inspection. Sailed through with no problems, but a couple days later the CEL came on. Again, my Actron said, "no codes/ MIL off". The code went away by itself a day later, then came back a couple days later. and didn't go away this time

I was planning a trip to install my lift pump anyway at Webb Auto in Danvers Mass at the end of the week, so I figured electronics wizard Bruce would have no problem with it.

However, his megadollar SnapOn scanner reacted the same way. It indicated that the CEL should be "off", but it was obviously "on".

Next trip was to the Jeep dealer who got a number of active and stored codes. So I pulled fuse 17 to disable the lift pump, removed the EHM and returned the vehicle to a state indistinguishable from stock. Problem turned out to be that the solenoid that controls the turbo vanes was not moving through the full range of motion. A new one returned things to normal and all the codes were cleared by the dealer.

I then ordered an Innova 3120 at the suggestion of a LOST member. This supposedly has "enhanced" capabilities for Chrysler/Jeep vehicles. However, in that mode, it indicated that it could not establish communication with the ECU. I went o the Jeep dealer and we tried it on a recent Grand Cherokee. It would communicate with the ECU, but not the TCM. (On our CRD, it would not communicate with either.)

The dealer was stumped, only offering that the vehicle has "all the updates" it should. The diesel tech pointed out that this is the only DCJ vehicle with a Bosch computer.

I then pulled the plug to the MAF sensor to set a CEL. That didn't work after ten min of driving, so I also pulled the plug to the MAP senser. That immediately set a CEL. However, both the Innova and Actron indicated "no codes/Mil off" in "global" mode, even though the CEL remains on. (Innova would still not communicate in "enhanced" mode.)

Obviously, several LOST members successfully use generic scannners and I've pretty much ruled out that it is scanner problem.

So, anybody have a clue as to what's wrong with our CRD?

Thanks As Always

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you try a Scan Guage II ($165)? Only problem with it is the ABS-module contention glitch which also affects the TCM - way more versatile than actron\equiv, it causes no problem as a functional scantool as long as the KJ is not moving

Autoenginuity ($295) and ELM Carcode ($125), both scantool pcware, talk to the KJ CRD systems, no problem

KJ CRD's are termed 'hybrid' because their systems are partial CAN, and the last holdouts for the earlier DCJ buss - rest of DCJ is CAN - KJ ECM's are exclusive Bosch - transmission control is via external TCM, as are Ram Cummins with Bosch CP3

'05 KJ CRD's require the old DRBIII (still $6500), won't talk to the Starscan ($4500) because of a programming error in Starscan

'06 KJ CRD's talk to Starscan, but not DRBIII, because of same error

DCJ released one TSB to fix ECM's that wouldn't talk to some aftermarket scanners.

Other than that, in the immortal words of Sergeant Schultz: I know nothing..........................

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks GM. Would it make any sense to have the dealer try to reinstall the "fix" that was supposed to allow communication with "generic" scanners?

Mr Mopar??

Thanks,

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

The KJ ECU does diagnostics over the J1850 bus, but communicates with the rest of the vehicle over its CAN bus which goes to the gateway module since the rest of the KJ was J1850 (since it was designed in 2002MY).

No Starscan will work with a KJ vehicle, and I've used the DRBIII on both 2005 and 2006MY KJ CRDs so no issues there.

I would first make sure that you're not having issues communicating with a DRBIII. A generic scanner will only bring up SAE standard codes (Pxxxx, Uxxxx, etc) - some of the P-codes you're seeing are most likely Chrysler-specific that you'll only see with a DRBIII or something more specific like those that GMCTD mentioned.

I know that in some cases, the gateway module causes some issues with scanner communication, but the SnapOn unit should have worked provided it had the right cartridges or com files installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Snap-On software doesn't support the CRD and never will. I called them on this.

Post subject: Re: Scantool Problem with CRD: GMCTD?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Did they ever make the starscan work on the 2005 crd? I was able to connect to a 2006, but didn't do much, so not sure how well it talks

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Nevermind, doesn't work on 2005.
Starscan for sale $900...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:12 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
starscan is supposed to work on 2006 vehicles, but for our uses I believe it will only work on the gassers.
The 2006 CRD ECM architecture is largely (where concerns the engine) modified from earlier 2.8 editions, it's highly unlikely the starscan would work on anything engine wise, but things like TPMS, or resetting the trans, or hooking up high end factory stereos; It would have a better chance.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

Has anyone used the DRB III emulator??
https://www.controllertech.com/products ... i-emulator

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

LMWatBullRun wrote:
Has anyone used the DRB III emulator??
https://www.controllertech.com/products ... i-emulator
I might be wrong, but I thought Sir Sam might have tried one....

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16