It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glass Oil Catch Can with pressure relief
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:39 pm 
LOST Member

a continuation of http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=39868 but i figured i would open another thread since this is a specific question about this product and if it would work.

While it is pricey... i think i like a see through better than a Provent. I was thinking about venting the other side down to the frame. Any ideas / concerns about this before i order?

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/new_page_1.htm

Emailed this guy requesting more information and this is what i got.

---------------------------
Hello, Ribbon,

Are you referring to the segment of hose between the PCV valve and the filter? This is normally under vacuum and as the filter gets "dirty" vacuum pressure in this area will be reduced. Upon wide open throttle flow can actually reverse so that blowby gasses exit the fresh air intake (typically on the driver's side of the engine). I would surmise that if the filter were severely clogged, positive pressure could be created in the aforementioned area, but to be honest with you, I have never measured positive pressure there. You do have a couple of options, though. McMaster-Carr sells an adjustable pressure relief valve that can relieve vacuum or positive pressure. It costs less than $10 and can be teed into the catch can on the PCV side. It is part number 48935K25 in www.mcmaster.com.

The other option is to add a tee to the catch can to allow you to check vacuum pressure at idle, using a simple vacuum gauge. The gauge port can be plugged until ready to use. I generally check mine every 5000 miles. As a rule of thumb, a drop of 10% vacuum pressure means it's time to change the filter. For most cars, that would be about 2 inches of mercury or approx. 18"Hg vacuum pressure.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Dave Sulli
Conceptual Polymer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:43 pm 
LOST Member

I like the idea of the glass catch can so you can see what is happening. The only question I have is will the 3/8" fittings be too restrictive vs. the 3/4" hose currently used with EHM? I had a similar idea by using a air compressor water separation filter. The problem with it were it was probably too small and the plastic bowl may not be suitable for hot gas temps. Do you know what temp. the gas coming from the puck is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:50 pm 
LOST Member

Edit: reread it and it says 3/8 or 1/2
Emailed the guy again to see if 3/4 can be ordered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:57 pm 
LOST Member

Response to the question about 3/4. Can anybody answer this?

-----------------------

Do you have a 3/4-inch (inside diameter) hose? If so, I can include an adapter and hose barb that will work. Please keep in mind that the adapter will add some length to the overall width of the filter assembly. A 90 degree elbow would help in this regard. All components will be brass.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:40 am 
LOST Junkie

The inlet and outlet to the filter unit should be 3/4 without using adapters as you don't want to restrict the flow in and out of the filter unit.

Post subject: Re: Glass Oil Catch Can with pressure relief
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:06 am 
LOST Member

ribbon wrote:
a continuation of viewtopic.php?t=39868 but i figured i would open another thread since this is a specific question about this product and if it would work.

While it is pricey... i think i like a see through better than a Provent. I was thinking about venting the other side down to the frame. Any ideas / concerns about this before i order?

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/new_page_1.htm

Emailed this guy requesting more information and this is what i got.

---------------------------
Hello, Ribbon,

Are you referring to the segment of hose between the PCV valve and the filter? This is normally under vacuum and as the filter gets "dirty" vacuum pressure in this area will be reduced. Upon wide open throttle flow can actually reverse so that blowby gasses exit the fresh air intake (typically on the driver's side of the engine). I would surmise that if the filter were severely clogged, positive pressure could be created in the aforementioned area, but to be honest with you, I have never measured positive pressure there. You do have a couple of options, though. McMaster-Carr sells an adjustable pressure relief valve that can relieve vacuum or positive pressure. It costs less than $10 and can be teed into the catch can on the PCV side. It is part number 48935K25 in http://www.mcmaster.com.

The other option is to add a tee to the catch can to allow you to check vacuum pressure at idle, using a simple vacuum gauge. The gauge port can be plugged until ready to use. I generally check mine every 5000 miles. As a rule of thumb, a drop of 10% vacuum pressure means it's time to change the filter. For most cars, that would be about 2 inches of mercury or approx. 18"Hg vacuum pressure.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Dave Sulli
Conceptual Polymer

The provent is an oil separator with a pressure relieve , and it drains from under the jeep when you do your oil change. Look online for good video of how it works.

The glass one is a simple "catch can" that will get half of the oil.......maybe.

After a few weeks you won't see thru the glass !!!

Post subject: Re: Glass Oil Catch Can with pressure relief
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:55 am 

PZKW108 wrote:
The provent is an oil separator with a pressure relieve , and it drains from under the jeep when you do your oil change. Look online for good video of how it works.
The glass one is a simple "catch can" that will get half of the oil.......maybe.
After a few weeks you won't see thru the glass !!!

Very true, and not having a safety vent could be real dangerous if the internal filter were to stop up.
With this engine and the vacuum pump dumping into the crankcase internally, any pressure buildup internally can blow out oil seals. This has actually happened to a few unfortunate souls.
Very best option is the ProVent 200.
SasquatchParts.com sells a very nice kit now with everything you need to install one:> https://shop.sasquatchparts.com

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve