It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lock-up of torque converter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:58 am 
LOST Newbie

I would be interested to know at what speed the torque converter locks up on the CRD of the various members.
We might see a spread depending on 05 or 06 and after TSB reflash.
I got the mine October, 2006 lock-up is at 50-55 mph at slow accelleration. IMHO this is quite a high speed, would have thought 40-45 would be more appropriate.
When set on 'cruise' at 50 to 55 mph the rpm swings way up and down when the road slightly inclines and declines. Almost sound like the engine is turned on and off. Any opinions to share?

- Reese Pilot brake controller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:45 am 
LOST Junkie

When I got my '05 in September, I found the torque converter locked up around 55 with the overdrive on, and around 35 with it off.

Post subject: Re: Lock-up of torque converter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:37 am 
KJ79 wrote:
I would be interested to know at what speed the torque converter locks up on the CRD of the various members.
We might see a spread depending on 05 or 06 and after TSB reflash.
I got the mine October, 2006 lock-up is at 50-55 mph at slow accelleration. IMHO this is quite a high speed, would have thought 40-45 would be more appropriate.
When set on 'cruise' at 50 to 55 mph the rpm swings way up and down when the road slightly inclines and declines. Almost sound like the engine is turned on and off. Any opinions to share?

It did this to me too in this speed range, but on relatively steep inclines on cruise control. It is trying to decide between the two overdrive gears. If you accelerate to 60-62 mpg it will lock up in the highest overdrive gear. Then back off with cruise control until about 1700 rpm and it will stay there all day in the highest overdrive. It will go all the way down to just a hare above 1600 rpm in the highest overdrive but it can not hold it there in the hills.

It appears designed to lock up in either overdrive depending on speed because I know it's been locked up in the second highest overdrive at 52mph on level roads. I think it's a really good design now that I've figured out all the sweet spots to run at and how to 'feather' the gas (well really diesel) pedal to get the acceleration and shifts that I want.

Mine is built in June of 2005. See signature for details... I fall into a range for a transmission TSB to replace a possibly faulty transmission oil return filter, but I have had not had any adverse symptons so I'm not taking it in unless something is truely operationally wrong. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:48 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

50MPH...right on the dot.

I'm still getting accustomed to the shifting schedule. This is my first diesel vehicle and the first automatic tranny I've had since the car I learned to drive in. Takes a bit of getting used to and my left foot is getting fat and lazy, but it's all good.

I'm in the window for the tranny TSB too. That will be performed on my next trip to the service bays (or I'll find another dealer). If they tell me to wait for symptoms I'll tell them to wait (and hold their breath) to ever see me (or my money) again. There are too many Jeep dealers in the area to deal with that kind of behavior. It's unacceptable and should be reported to DailmerChrysler. At least take away their five glorious stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have an automatic 2005, recently flashed with new firmware. No difference in auto tranny shift points, though.

Looks to me like it locks up once at 50mph, and again at 57mph. Unless I am accelerating hard, this does not appear to change with load. It seems to me that at minimal load it should go ahead and lock up earlier.

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:44 pm 
LOST Addict

I've got mine to lock up around 45 mph, but I have to excel past the 45 and let off the throttle and it seems to lock up around 45 to 48 mph.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: My version
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:01 pm 
LOST Member

I am having this tranny issue.

I get out on the highway and the engine is running at 2500RPM @ 70MPH.

Once the engine warms up the engine drops back 2000RPM.

This has just started happening since the cooler weather.

Todays temp is 29F @ 7:00AM in North-Carolina.

Thanks,

Tom

Post subject: lock-up
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Great responses! 8) It looks like I fall pretty well in the range. I would have expected a lower range because of the torky diesel. My torqueless little Toyota cruises and revs happily at 1400 rpm even in 5th gear (do not accellerate,though and do not go up on hills).

I have to check things out with o/d off, did not realize the thing could lock up in o/d.
Trouble is around town most folkes kind of slumber along at 40-50 mph on the secondary highways - might be suitable to o/d off.

Bottom line is I should use cruise only on the highway . :roll:

- Reese Pilot brake controller

Post subject: Re: My version
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:08 am 
LOST Addict

tomasnc wrote:
I am having this tranny issue.

I get out on the highway and the engine is running at 2500RPM @ 70MPH.

Once the engine warms up the engine drops back 2000RPM.

This has just started happening since the cooler weather.

Todays temp is 29F @ 7:00AM in North-Carolina.

Thanks,

Tom

The tranny has to warm up to a certain temp before it will shift into overdrive and/or lockup. Had an '04 Dakota with the same tranny and it did the same thing during cold weather, would take a couple miles of driving if I started off cold or several minutes of idling to get the tranny up to where it would go into overdrive.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler