It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting Cold and No Glow Plugs!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:27 pm 
LOST Member

Last 2 weeks the cel has been on in my crd and throwing a code of p1265, I called the dealer and nobody knew what the code was and they advised me to bring it in at the next available appt. Well, 1 week later I finally get a appt, and they find 2 bad glow plugs! Wonderfull! And they cant get the parts for a week! And there fresh out of loaners. There diesel tech did advise that it is driveable though. Id plug it in but dont know how the condo board would feel about that. Getting down to the teens here and I just hope this thing start. So in less than 10000 miles bad glow plugs and a egr.

Still like the CRD though, just cant beat the feeling of all that torque!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Temp. got down to about 19°F here this morning. I didn't have my block heater plugged up. My Jeep started, but only after cranking for a few seconds and when it fired up it sounded AWFUL and actually smelled like a real diesel for a few seconds instead of it's usual "chemical" smell.

So I take it that even though you can start these CRDs in below freezing weather without the block heater, it seems that about 20 degrees is the threshold for efficient starting. From now on, below 20 and I'm plugging this thing up.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:17 am 
LOST Member

WOW, I'm having the starter sound. I turn the keys to on until the glow plug light goes off, usually after a couple of seconds, and then try to turn it over and I get that sould like your trying to start your car when it's on. That nasty sound like your frying your starter. THen I turn the key back and wait a second and then restart and it's fine. THis has been happening alot.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Post subject: Re: Getting Cold and No Glow Plugs!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Danno wrote:
Last 2 weeks the cel has been on in my crd and throwing a code of p1265, I called the dealer and nobody knew what the code was and they advised me to bring it in at the next available appt. Well, 1 week later I finally get a appt, and they find 2 bad glow plugs! Wonderfull! And they cant get the parts for a week! And there fresh out of loaners. There diesel tech did advise that it is driveable though. Id plug it in but dont know how the condo board would feel about that. Getting down to the teens here and I just hope this thing start. So in less than 10000 miles bad glow plugs and a egr.

Still like the CRD though, just cant beat the feeling of all that torque!

I had the same error code right after the egr was replaced. That's a generic error code, it reads differently on the dealer scan tools. There it read P0671, P0674 on mine or glow plug fault on plugs #1 and #4. An ohmmeter check of these 2 plugs showed an open on one and very high resistance on the other. The correct resistance was .5 to 1.5 ohms. It seems if your egr fails in the open position, the burn temperature is too low due to not enough oxygen in the cylinders and the ecm keeps the glow plugs cycling too long to heat it back up and they fail prematurely. This would indicate that the ecm software didn't have the proper safequard built-in to keep excessivel glow plug cycling from occuring with fault conditions, but this happened before I had the ecm software update performed. One of those updates did change the duty cycle of the glow plug controller. Wonder if DCX software coders have any simulator tools to check for logic errors for common sensor fault analysis? I mean if a software logic analyzer that checks to see if components are range bound exceeded if a failed sensor input or anomoly causes an extended out of range condition or overcorrection. but I digress...

I would expect to see some more glow plug failures on those CRD's whose egr valve has been replaced, were overstressed, but haven't yet failed to the point where resistance is out of spec where a fault will be set. You probably have had some heavy black smoke on acceleration as well.

I also had to wait a week for glow plugs and this was back in the summer. I tried to buy a spare glow plug and DCX wouldn't sell it - they were on restriction. Once they were replaced the CRD was quieter and the smoke disappeared. Without overuse, the glow plugs should last a long long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That starter sound could be a bad starter drive, had the same problem on my last truck, a 1986 chevy 6.2 diesel. Minnesota starting, iffy glowplugs, and high compression ratio (22.5:1) killed my starter

255/70/R16 Fleet Farm All Terrain (yes they work)
Class 3 hitch
Hellas
Police Scanner/CB radio
LOST #: JH061986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:58 pm 
LOST Member

Well, a few days ago they diagnosed 2 glow plugs being bad and ordered the parts. Today they got the parts -1 gasket. The diesel tech called Chrysler Tech and was informed that the gasket was part of a kit and had no seperate part number and could not be ordered seperate. WTH? So the tech decided to make his own.. Well about 2:00 today DC Tech called with a part number and told him not to make his own. OMG! First they hold off on even shipping the part till Thursday(Dealer ordered them Tuesday, Being in Chicago we should have them next day), then leave parts out of the kit! Darn it, DC needs to get there act together. Same deal happend with the EGR, ordered the part, and DC didnt ship it for a few days. Now im stuck with the POS loaner Mini Van.
I swear one more MisHap like this and Im going to get DC to take this POS back, and go right to the GM dealer.

We got 6" of snow last night and I was stuck with there loaner Town & Country.