It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ProVent alternative
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hi, all,

At 1200 miles, and thanks to this forum, I pulled the inlet hose to my intercooler to see what I could see. Sure enough, a fairly heavy coat of sludge on it. During one service trip to the dealer (to see why the AC compressor never comes on with the heat turned up), I showed the sludge to them. "They all do that." Off the record, the tech agreed with me that this was a design flaw, but the chances of getting DC to do anything about it is pretty much nil.

I remembered something in the clutter in my garage that I thought might be useful before I got a ProVent. I had a water trap from a compressor that wasn't being used, complete with a sintered bronze filter. It has an easily-removable bowl on it, so it doesn't need a pressure drain.

I just ran hoses for it and hung it from the hoses up in front of the air filter. One thing that I tried to do was to give the output hose from the CC valve a bit of an "upslope," and sure enough, there seems to be less oil collected in the bowl than I expected. There is no oil in the outlet hose coming from the water trap. I think the stock CCV hose basically encouraged oil splash to make the trip through the hose and down to the turbo because it was level. It may well be that doing a different hose that simply put a good rise in after the CCV valve would fix much of this problem, but I don't have a good feel for the velocity/volume of air that goes through the hose at high loads.

Anyway, water collectors for compressors are cheap and plentiful. I'm not sure how critical filtration in this thing really is, given that the oil is filtered elsewhere, as is the air. So to me, this is a good potential alternative to ProVent style dedicated CCV filters.

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:48 pm 
LOST Member

Got any Pics?

2005 CRD Limited 4x4 - Deep Beryl Green - Selec-Trac
Trac-Lok - Skid Plates - BFG Radial Long Trail TA's- Rotella T 5W40 Synthetic.

2007 GC CRD Limited. Silver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This is the one reason why I have a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on my Liberty. Also why I'm not going to lift it or do anything else after market. Once it bites it in 30k or so, Chrysler is going to fix it. The only way Chrysler is going to do anything about it is if you guys let it run it's course and let it screw up. Once it does that and it's under warranty, Chrysler has to fix it. Once they have a bunch come in for the same problem maybe they will do something about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

Taz wrote:
Got any Pics?

Sorry, Taz, I don't have pics. I can try to get some later, but honestly it won't be too enthralling. If you just go to Harbor Fright's web site (www.harborfrieght.com) and use the keyword "regulator," you should see a couple of different air filter/regulator setups. Even if this is all you can find, it's still cheaper to pull the regulator off the assembly and use just the trap, and perhaps the filter, if you think you need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ricky5 wrote:
This is the one reason why I have a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on my Liberty. Also why I'm not going to lift it or do anything else after market. Once it bites it in 30k or so, Chrysler is going to fix it. The only way Chrysler is going to do anything about it is if you guys let it run it's course and let it screw up. Once it does that and it's under warranty, Chrysler has to fix it. Once they have a bunch come in for the same problem maybe they will do something about it?

I negotiated an extended warranty into my purchase, too. Unfortunately, the only thing it means in this case is that they will replace the turbocharger if it is damaged, but I'm not sure that will happen...it might just be getting lubed! :wink: It may be that the primary problems associated with this are not catastrophic failures, but rather performance loss. The TDI guys can say more about that.

If the intercooler gets clogged partly, DC won't do squat. I wouldn't be surprised to find that DC doesn't do anything about the cause of the problem even if a significant percentage of CRD owners have warranty repairs because of this. And even after they replace damaged parts, the original problem is there to screw up the replacements, so that it will happen again after the warranty is up. If you can prevent the issue for $25 or so, it seems worth it to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

Went to the harbor freight site, doesn't look like they have a unit with the right sized lines. No psi restriction across the filter info or at what cfm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:51 pm 
LOST Member

"I negotiated an extended warranty into my purchase, too. or so, it seems worth it to me."

I thought the drivetrain had a 100K warranty from Jeep, standard.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:02 pm 
LOST Addict

No, it's a 70k warranty on '05s, 36k on '06s. I have heard rumors that the diesel engine itself has a 100k warranty, but I haven't found any proof yet.

My dad found some parts just laying around the shop...like a master cylinder off an old fork lift and some hoses and made his own CCV filter for free. He didn't see the point in spending $150 for something you can make for free, or at worst $10 at Home Depot. I, on the other hand, am not quite as mechanically inclined. So I have NO filter on my CRD yet. Still waiting to see how necessary this becomes...

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:21 pm 
LOST Member

I would check my owners manual, but,,, the kj is STILL at the stealership (EGR), I'm fairly sure I read about the warranty in the owners book. I've been wrong before though. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

spoonplugger1 wrote:
Went to the harbor freight site, doesn't look like they have a unit with the right sized lines. No psi restriction across the filter info or at what cfm.

Most of these units come with female threads on the part in question. You can get fittings that will accommodate 3/4" line as I did. As for the pressure drop, some of these traps do have a valve on them to prevent...something. But I found mine fairly easy to disable. The only pressure drop should be due to the filter, and seemed negligable.