It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headlight & Foglight Removal
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:49 am 
LOST Addict

Since we bought the Liberty Sport the wife has had only two complaints, E brake requires too much pull up to hold car and poor light output from headlights. So I put a set of GE Nighthawk bulb's in the light's, they are suppose to about 50% better then standard bubs and they helped, but are nothing to brag about. I am currently looking for Eor spec lights from an aftermarket supplier with no luck so far.

While I had the headlights and grill out I took out the fog lights and installed yellow bulbs. I was amazed at how well thought out the engineers were about changing bulbs in the Sport, :roll: just remove the grill. Then remove two bolts holding head lights and tilt them and remove. The fogs are one bolt, use a screw driver to gently pry up tab on one side and pop out the light. When replacing the fog lights they just push straight back and snap in place the replace holding bolt. The head light is a simple reverse of take off procedure. There is no way you can reach in behind the headlight on passanger side, maybe on driverside. And noway to do fog's without removing them.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:20 am 
LOST Addict

Do the fogs take a standard bulb, or do you have to find a special "jeep only" bulb? I heard the grill is a piece of cake to remove on the '05s. I guess it's a good thing, huh?

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:04 am 
LOST Addict

Your rtight about the grill, it takes a total of about 30 seconds to remove then reinstall.

The bulbs in the fogs are standard H10 as used in all Dodge cars & trucks that I can think of off hand.

Here is where I bought them on the internet. Racinglab.Com

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:39 am 
LOST Addict

Gawd, the car's I've owned over the years must have had some really sucky headlights, the ones on the CRD are by far the best on any car I've ever had.

Do you think it might be a problem with aiming? Comparing my CRD to my friend's down in Texas, having driven both at night, mine seem to be aimed quite low compared to his. Or perhaps the suspension on his was tweaked a little different from the factory than mine. He bought his back in March, so it was an earlier build than mine built in May.

On my friend's CRD, both he, his wife, and myself said that it had the best headlights of any vehicle we'd driven.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Well part of the problem is Linda was use to Euro spec headlights in her VW and her old Jeep Cherokee, for myself I'm the same as I had Euro spec headlights in my MB, in my Magnum I have the HIR's which put out more useable light in the pattern. I have friends with HID equipped lights and they can't believe my $150 option lights were far better then their HID's that cost thousands extra. The lighs have no dark spots in the pattern and on bright they are good enough for 100+ mph night driving, were the stock lights are unsafe at on low beam at 40 mph on the Magnum.

Here is a link to HIR Headlights

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: Headlight lamp replacement
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:45 pm 
LOST Member

Every vehcile I own now has Sylvania SilverStars.

The light is much whiter than any other bulb except HID systems.

At less than $20 per lamp, it is awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:06 am 
LOST Addict

Having worked in the optic's & electronic field for about 25 years I can tell you that the bulbs with blue tint actually put out less light then a clear bulb. What happens is they have to over drive the wattage to make them bright enough to use, which greatly shortens their life. If you put a camera light meter in front of a headlight with Silverstars the light out put will be about 20% to 30% less then a standard clear bulb. Below are a couple of sources you can read up on blue tinted bulbs.

Daniel Stern Lighting

BMW car Club of America

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:05 am 
LOST Member

Go to stuffville (ebay username) Candian based bulb supplier that's where I got mine I know they are H4 instead of HB4 but he will I assume have something like Osram silverstars or Eurodezigns 6500K (I jhave them and am delighted by the improvement so much I bout H1 for the BMW and h7 for my Ford from him