It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: P0671
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:07 am 
LOST Newbie

Since I had my oil changed at the dealership, second code: P0671.
Anybody knows what this code is?
So far no loss of power.
The other code did not come back since I cleared it.

Side Air Bags, B100, Ipod kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:09 pm 
LOST Member

Cylinder #1 Glow Plug circuit

If you cleared it, and it did not come back, don't worry about it.

If it does come back, inspect your wiring.
Perhaps swap glow plugs and see if the error moves, etc. Replace the problematic glow plug.

If you dont live in a particularly cold climate, your going to be ok on 3 glow plugs, but it need to be replaced.

Even in a cold climate, use of a heater negates the need for the glow plugs somewhat, but keep in mind they they are cycled while the engine is in operation and not just used for starting. (when cold)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Don't know about the circuit - but the Glow Plug itself is P1261,2,3,4

(I had 6 -1263 glow plug replacements - and then the dealer broke one they had to pull the head - to fix it
- cost me $100 deductible on the 1st plug)

Post subject: Re: P0671
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just received this code. I cleared the code and will drive it tomorrow and see if they CEL stays off. If it does not, is there any harm in driving the vehicle a bit longer until I can either get the parts or have it serviced? Also, how difficult a job is it for me to replace with an average set of tools and is there any risk of breaking the glow plug when pulling it out.

I've also read a bit about 5v vs. 7.5v plugs, how can I tell which ones are the OE parts and more specifically, which ones are in my Jeep?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:26 am 
LOST Newbie

To check voltage you can remove one plug and read the voltage stamped on the shoulder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:05 pm 
LOST Member

glaspak845 wrote:
Just received this code. I cleared the code and will drive it tomorrow and see if they CEL stays off. If it does not, is there any harm in driving the vehicle a bit longer until I can either get the parts or have it serviced? Also, how difficult a job is it for me to replace with an average set of tools and is there any risk of breaking the glow plug when pulling it out.

I've also read a bit about 5v vs. 7.5v plugs, how can I tell which ones are the OE parts and more specifically, which ones are in my Jeep?

Driving it will be fine. If it is cold where you are, use the block heater when parked to assist with the starts. If you do need to change one, get in there will some liberally applied PB-Blaster around each glow plug socket, then drive it a few times adding more PB-Blaster in-between to loosen them up. That will lessen the chances of the plug separating at the base as so many have reported on here. If you need to replace 3 or 4, it would be wise to take the time to install a weeks kit since you'll have some of the parts removed anyway, but it is not necessary. If you do not install a weeks kit, you'll just need a replacement intake elbow gasket. IDParts should have them.

Most have gone with the 5V glow plugs regardless of the glow plug control programming in their CRD. They seem to give the best performance across the board even if you have a 7V tune.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:35 pm 
LOST Member

First advice I've heard to replace intake elbow gasket. Or that I remember anyway. My new plugs came in the mail yesterday but waiting for warmer weather or when I do the timing belt to replace them. I'll get that gasket in the mean time, thanks.

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:40 pm 
LOST Member

I am of the mindset that gaskets should be replaced when they are removed, regardless of the intended use. That one is under pressure from the turbo so I would always change it if removed. It is just peace of mind in my opinion. You can obviously choose whether to change yours or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:02 pm 
LOST Member

You guys are all responding to a post from 2 years ago :SOMBRERO: