It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aero Turbine Mufflers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello:

I have read the muffler threads and I am thinking about replacing the stock muffler on my CRD (when it finally arrives).

Several folks have reported good results using the Aero Turbine 2525. Is there a dimensional increase in comparison to the stock muffler? That is, does it reduce ground clearance in comparison to stock muffler?

Also not looking for an increase in cabin noise.

Has anyone used the ST 2535 exhaust tip on their CRD? Does it look nice and perhaps help keep soot off the back bumper?

Thanks in advance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It appears that the Aero 2525 is about 1 inch lower than the stock muffler. Stock muffler is flatter in shape while the Aero is round.

Sound appears to be close.... however, when I measured mine with a sound meter, the Aero is 3 dbA louder than stock. At idle, with my stock muffler CRD, inside sound levels used to read 49 dbA. Now it's 52dbA. The sound is different. Definately a lower tone to it at idle.

One interesting change is I put it in reverse in my driveway, which is uphill, it now moves on its own without any accelerator pedal. It never did that before. That would seem to indicate that its generating more power at idle than before. I don't have enough miles yet to see if there is any fuel economy improvement.

Maybe some others with the Magnaflow can check and see if theirs now moves at idle...

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Last edited by Ranger1 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:58 pm 
LOST Member

I cant speak for the Magnaflow or Aero Turbine, but the Flowmaster series 40 has a nice subtle rumble at idle.

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject: Aero Turbine Mufflers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ohh... the Aero Turbine muffler reduces ground clearance an inch from stock?

That will not work for me. Too bad.

Does anyone know whether ground clearance is lost with Magnaflow or Flowmaster?

Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:31 pm 
LOST Member

I think you gain a little with the flowmaster. The stock muffler is huge. Where as the Flowmaster is fairly small and compact. Also, the Flowmaster is as tough as nails and can take a beating.

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Ranger1 wrote:
One interesting change is I put it in reverse in my driveway, which is uphill, it now moves on its own without any accelerator pedal. It never did that before. That would seem to indicate that its generating more power at idle than before. I don't have enough miles yet to see if there is any fuel economy improvement.

Noticed the same thing on mine. Haven't had the chance to check against my normal commute yet, but the tank of diamond shamrock I used in TX, 270 miles of freeway for the last inbound leg, and then a week of local driving, 425 miles total, averaged out to 26 miles per gallon. Not bad for regular #2 dino. Pre-AT, best on #2 dino with my normal commute was 23 mpg, B20 24.5 mpg. These are whole tank averages, miles driven/gallons to refill. Best on the trip to Texas was 30 MPG, 70 to 75 mph, all freeway, on B20, and on the return leg 29 mpg, 70 to 75 mph, all freeway, on #2 dino from Diamond Shamrock.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is an observation since installing the aero-turbine muffler. The exhaust note is lower while idling.... however, several times I've noticed that the low note was gone and it sounded just like the stock muffler. So I was letting the CRD do its turbo cool down and decided to listen to the exhaust sound. After about a minute, the lower note sound stopped, it became quiet and the amount of exhaust increased. I tested this several times over the last week. Once I pull into my driveway, around 60 seconds of idle time and the low note goes away, sound gets quieter and exhaust gas amount increases. This is repeatable.

I experiemented with the turbo vacuum control and found that by disconecting the vacuum line from the vacuum boost tank, the sound goes back to lower note - put the vacuum line back on and it quiets down. Several quick iterations of this and the sound immediately varys between low note and quiet again. It appears that the position of the VGT vanes are changing the idle sound characteristic.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:29 am 
LOST Addict

Ranger1 wrote:
Here is an observation since installing the aero-turbine muffler. The exhaust note is lower while idling.... however, several times I've noticed that the low note was gone and it sounded just like the stock muffler. So I was letting the CRD do its turbo cool down and decided to listen to the exhaust sound. After about a minute, the lower note sound stopped, it became quiet and the amount of exhaust increased. I tested this several times over the last week. Once I pull into my driveway, around 60 seconds of idle time and the low note goes away, sound gets quieter and exhaust gas amount increases. This is repeatable.

I experiemented with the turbo vacuum control and found that by disconecting the vacuum line from the vacuum boost tank, the sound goes back to lower note - put the vacuum line back on and it quiets down. Several quick iterations of this and the sound immediately varys between low note and quiet again. It appears that the position of the VGT vanes are changing the idle sound characteristic.

Whew, thanks! guess I'm not going crazy in my old age after all. Exact same story on mine, except i didn't try experimenting to see what was causing the change in tone.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler