It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mods ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I was wondering if you guys can tell me what kind of mods are available for the CRD. Such as engine mods for more power, lift kits, gauges all that sort of stuff. Also pro cons about BD vs WVO. I just went from a Ford PowerStroke to the CRD so im a little curious how I can better my CRD with some more power and the possibility of homebrew BD or WVO etc.... Thanx

Mike <------Newbie

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:22 am 
LOST Junkie

You're in luck, you already bought the rig that is already been hot rodded.
Take the torque/liter rating from your Ford when stock and the value from the CRD and you'll see that it already been done at the factory.
If I remember right from another discussion some time ago. The Ford is about 90 ft lb/liter, the CRD is already 115 ft lbs/liter out the door.
The CRD is much more high tech in design and messing with it will only decrease your reliability. Most of us are just going to a Magnaflow 40 or like designed muffler and calling it good. The stock muffler doesn't hold up well to the "crush" test. the Magnaflow and others are heavier metal.
My rig stock, pulling like sized boats over the Cascades with a 4.7 L Ford
F-150 ate his butt for lunch and got much better MPG doing it.
Remember to cooldown your turbo before shutdown as the manual instructs and all will be good. I know my Dad doesn't do this to his Ford, but again your in a whole different animal now.
Oh, almost forgot, a couple times a tank of fuel you need to go WOT for a short time to get full travel out of your turbo's variable vane linkage. It will keep it from freezing up on you and limiting your travel if you need it later with a load or something. I just put my foot in it getting on the freeway a couple times and it's done. Don't have to hold it down, just give the linkage full travel and back off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

spoonplugger1 wrote:
Oh, almost forgot, a couple times a tank of fuel you need to go WOT for a short time to get full travel out of your turbo's variable vane linkage. It will keep it from freezing up on you and limiting your travel if you need it later with a load or something. I just put my foot in it getting on the freeway a couple times and it's done. Don't have to hold it down, just give the linkage full travel and back off.

Im curious to know what a "WOT" is ? I have never heard that term before. So your saying all I really can or need to do is upgrade the exaust?

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:38 pm 
LOST Member

WOT Wide Open Throttle, I think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:10 am 
LOST Newbie

http://www.edgeproducts.com