It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok, so I'm a newbie here and relatively new to CRD ownership. I have had mine a year and put about 23,000 mi on it in that time.

OEM specs Mobil 1 0W-40. Everyone here is using 5W-40. I'm confused what is the benefit of using a different grade? Should I be using 5W-40?

Is the factory recommended change interval of 6,500 mi just a BS number? Can I safely run 10,000 - 12,000 per change?

Please help...I'm now thoroughly confused!!

1978 Jeep CJ-5
Blue Metalic
3" Lift
T-18 Transmission (4 spd w/ granny)
One piece Mosser Rear Axles
Rebuilt V-8 305
Soon to be Frnt & Rear Ox Lockers (Hopefully)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think most people here use 5W-40 because it is easier to get and cheaper. Plus the owner's manual states that 5W-40 is OK if 0W-40 is not available. Just make sure it's synthetic and designed for a diesel engine, like Mobil 1 5W-40 TurboDiesel Truck or Shell Rotella T synthetic. (Blue bottle)

I was running 5,000 miles between changes, then I got an oil analysis from Blackstone. They recommended I extend to 7,000, but I just did my last one at 6500. I wouldn't run it out to 10K, personally. Just too risky when it is so easy to change the oil and the filter on the CRD.

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:39 pm 
LOST Addict

BobFarley wrote:
Ok, so I'm a newbie here and relatively new to CRD ownership. I have had mine a year and put about 23,000 mi on it in that time.

OEM specs Mobil 1 0W-40. Everyone here is using 5W-40. I'm confused what is the benefit of using a different grade? Should I be using 5W-40?

Is the factory recommended change interval of 6,500 mi just a BS number? Can I safely run 10,000 - 12,000 per change?

The mobil 1 0W-40 is really a gasoline engine motor oil. It's not the best choice for diesel engines. The two oils mentioned in the above post are what most of us are using because they are diesel rated (CI-4+ or CJ-4). Several of us run a 10k mile change interval with good results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I run all my diesels to 10k+ or 1 year. I use Amsoil, 5w-40 Euro synthetic in the CRD. Never had an analysis done. How much does that cost any ways?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There you go

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

06 CRD
OME HD w/clevis top plate
JBA 4.5 UCAs
245/75/16r Goodyear Duratrax
Fumoto Valve, V6 ABM
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Cobra 75 WX ST
ECO GDE tune, 2.5 straight piped
ProVent, Samcoed
Non F37ed TCM
DieHard P1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:14 am 
LOST Junkie

CATCRD wrote:
BobFarley wrote:

The mobil 1 0W-40 is really a gasoline engine motor oil. It's not the best choice for diesel engines. The two oils mentioned in the above post are what most of us are using because they are diesel rated (CI-4+ or CJ-4). Several of us run a 10k mile change interval with good results.

Mobil 1 0W40 is recommended for diesel engines.

http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/lubes/ ... _0w-40.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:42 am 
LOST Addict

CRD-Guy wrote:

:shock: wow, 22.50 for the test and 30 for the pump:shock:

Currently at the CAT dealership I work for, the oil sample pump (1U5718) is 24.06 and an oil sample bottle (sos-reg) is 13.10...... The great thing about our samples is they already have the tubing in them and the price of the bottle includes testing.

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:56 am 
LOST Junkie

CATCRD wrote:
BobFarley wrote:

I could be wrong here, don't see the CI-4 or CJ-4 rating :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:02 pm 
LOST Addict

mackruss wrote:
CATCRD wrote:
BobFarley wrote:

I could be wrong here, don't see the CI-4 or CJ-4 rating :oops:

I'm with you.... yes it may meet MB and VW specs, but in my mind, those are light duty diesels while the Lib is a medium duty beast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Diggerfreek wrote:
CRD-Guy wrote:

Currently at the CAT dealership I work for, the oil sample pump (1U5718) is 24.06 and an oil sample bottle (sos-reg) is 13.10...... The great thing about our samples is they already have the tubing in them and the price of the bottle includes testing.

You don't have to use the pump to do a sample for a UOA with Blackstone. They actually recommend waiting till your normal change interval, running the vehicel out on the highway for a little while to get it to operating temp (not just idling it) and catching the sample about halfway through the drain. Also, they email your analysis in a .pdf and make it available online for you to log in and look at.

I went with Blackstone because they were recommended by bobistheoilguy.com

Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:11 pm 
LOST Addict

linewarbr wrote:
Diggerfreek wrote:
CRD-Guy wrote:

You don't have to use the pump to do a sample for a UOA with Blackstone. They actually recommend waiting till your normal change interval, running the vehicel out on the highway for a little while to get it to operating temp (not just idling it) and catching the sample about halfway through the drain. Also, they email your analysis in a .pdf and make it available online for you to log in and look at.

I went with Blackstone because they were recommended by bobistheoilguy.com

I know you don't have to use the vampire pump.... I was just relating prices......

Wagner equipment company, which is who I work for, also emails sample reports in pdf form and mails a hard copy...

If blackstone is working for you, then continue :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CRD-Guy wrote:

Thanks, I will just keep doing my oil changes. Did any one ever get a bad result?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:19 pm 
LOST Addict

mackruss wrote:
CATCRD wrote:
BobFarley wrote:

Mobil 1 0W40 is recommended for diesel engines.

http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/lubes/ ... _0w-40.asp

No CI or CJ rating though. Only CF, which is ooooold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:59 pm 
LOST Addict

te]

Last edited by onthehunt on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:39 am 
LOST Member

There are def a few nasty looking slips on here, and here's another.
While not horrible, it's not good. I would like to note, however that my ODO is about 7% low, with that in mind i am not particularly worried, however i will not be doing this again. Then again the liners are not exactly hard to replace.

I was going to go to 10k BUT i experienced excessive consumption near the end of this oci and I though perhaps that it was caused by high soot levels.
I am still not clear as to what changed to make the lubricant unable to protect the cyl effectively, nor am i sure what happened to cause the film to be burnt off.

So, consumption elevated = oil being burnt = oil not protecting on a the power stroak = scuffing, also scuffing is caused by excessive cyl pressures at lower speeds. For instance if you started off in fourth gear and floored it, pistons want to go sideways on the wrist pins, causing scuffing on walls (if they defeat the lubricant) Also i would like to mention that my filter was damaged by an impact with a rock.

So again, this is m1 TDT 5-40 this was a CI-4PLUS not cj-4 and a M1-301 Filter, air was k&n (swapped from a wix/napa gold at 2k because it was covered in mud and the k and n was handy, put in a amsoil at 8k) I expected more si due to the k&n but it simply is not there.

I am going to go 7k on my next oci/uoa and after than i will run 7k on RTS and uoa/tbn/tan. In the past i had experienced higher levels of consumption with RTS at 6k OCI's than I had with tdt 5-40.

It has been proven in other places that our crd's can do 7k no problem on RTS so at this point I am not seeing any reason to use TDT

This could have just been a bad/contaminated sample.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Last edited by onthehunt on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Post your CRD oil analysis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Oil: Shell Rotella 5W-40 CI-4+
Miles on oil: 9500
Miles on engine: 45000
Oil Filter: Mobil 1 M1-301
Air Filter: Mopar
Oil added: none

Code:
Aluminum:   10
Chromium:   3
Iron:       43
Copper:     4
Lead:       2
Tin:        2
Moly:       3
Nickel:     1
Manganese:  1
Potassium:  1
Boron:      2
Silicon:    8

SUS Visc @ 210: 73.5
Flashpoint: 405
Fuel %: 0.5
Insolubles %: 0.3
TBN: 9.3

Here's my latest analysis from my second interval at around 9500 mi. Wear rates per mile are still at half of what they were before I disabled the EGR. I will probably keep extending it to 12000. I'm still using up my stock of old style Rotella. I'm glad I bought a bunch. I think I still have 3 gallons left. TBN is still amazingly high. That's not a typo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:08 pm 
LOST Member

Just got back my oil analysis, spectro chem analysis shows all properties are within range, with the exception of lead 3070ppm. Other than bearing corrosion any ideas where this is coming from??

06 LIMITED 100000miles, MAGNAFLOW, HOMEBUILT CCV FILTER, POLAR PAD, 02 AIRBOX, CUMMINS LIFT PUMP, SEGR, PILLAR GAUGE POD, CAT FILTER MONITOR, SPYDER TRAX, ALWAYS A LITTLE TWO STROKE OIL OR BIO, WATER/METH INJECTION

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What type of 2-stroke oil do you use in your fuel?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:45 pm 
LOST Member

Have been using Pennzoil outboard full synth for about 12 months. Good catch, never thought of that! I will post the full report.

06 LIMITED 100000miles, MAGNAFLOW, HOMEBUILT CCV FILTER, POLAR PAD, 02 AIRBOX, CUMMINS LIFT PUMP, SEGR, PILLAR GAUGE POD, CAT FILTER MONITOR, SPYDER TRAX, ALWAYS A LITTLE TWO STROKE OIL OR BIO, WATER/METH INJECTION

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next