It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Comments please
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:?: I found this on another site. I was wondering what the CRD community here thinks.

I have a 2005 Liberty Sport CRD. The dealer didn't have a 2005 Brochure, so he gave me a 2006 one. I took our 2005 out on a hot test run, pouring rain, slick roads, high winds and did some tests, trying to spin it out. I'm comparing the performance of this to a 2004 Subaru Forrester I traded in for it.

The Forester system is totallly seamless, no wheelspin or noticeable changes in control handling at adverse parameters.Very short turning circle in AWD. Seamless, automatic and total control.

The Jeep Liberty in 2 wheel mode will spin a rear wheel on sharp slick cornering, but the control system comes on and stops it. You can feel it. In part time four wheel mode the turning circle is reduced and you can feel it binding if you crank it over to hard. Couldn't get it to break loose in that mode, although steering is stiffer, but handling is very sure footed, actually more stable than the Forrester. In Low 4WD postition this thing could crawl up the walls of the Grand Canyon. Very high clearance, front end skid plate, long travel suspension, excellant angle of attack.

In short, I think the 2005 has the same or similar control system as the 2006. A little more delayed the Forester, and a little more harsh. But it is all there.

Hard swerving braking in the two wheel mode gave the same results, some sliding, then a takeover of reduced power and braking systems brought it all under control. Just a moment or two there of wondering what was going to happen.

I got the Jeep Liberty CRD to get more towing power and off-road capability. I got a real good deal on a 2005 Sport, plus the happy miles thing that extends the warrrenty to 5/60K, a $2400 fuel card, and free schedule B service for 24K., and 10% off on accessories for 60 days. In turns out that when you buy a Jeep, in addition to the deal you can make with the dealer, Jeep sends you additional 20% discounts on stuff.

I got a hood deflector, rear deflector, side window deflectors, tail lite guards, cargo area protector, and a cargo organizer. All very good stuff that fits right in,

Iv'e been getting 21.7 mpg combined, 27 freeway consistantly. I use a fuel additive for increased cetane and lower soot deposits. I try to run in the 2000 rpm range where the torque is best -- about 67 mph. I use the cruise pause and the OD OFF to slow down, and the foot pedal to resume.

I now have 1800 miles and the engine is getting quieter and smooter. I occassionally use floorboard throttle to clear carbon and seat the rings. Not longer than 30" or so. Had it up to 90 mph with no vibrations. I always have the OD OFF in town. I find the OD works in any gear. So with it off, even in town in 3rd gear it will go OD without searching.

I have been doing a lot of research on mods for the intake, the engine control module and the exhaust system. For my needs which are daily mixed town/freeway, occassional towing of around 4000#, and staying around 2000 rpm, I have found that the best mods seems to be the Aero Turine Muffler. PERIOD.

I'm not a hothead, just looking for long term reliability and fuel effeciency in an already super machine. I've looked at the performance modules, the intake systems and the following mufflers in detail.
- Aero Turbine
- Spin Tech
- FlowMaster Hushpower
- Magnaflow

What I found was that Spin Tech is basically a chambered more or less free flow silencer for racers. Using spining gases for recirculating gas silencing. Ok for hot big big cube racers. But not so effiecient for low rpm torqey stuff. They are relatively cheap.

Magnaflow is a straight through perferated tube with lots of side packing for silencing, but sound clips are loud and harsh for my taste. Sort of spendy at around $200. Reported to be one of the best for quick turbo spin up and quick accelleraton.

Flowmaster Hushpower actually sounds the quietest according to the sound clips I downloaded. It is straight through descending perforated cone asencending into a larger perforated cone with a claimed extracting flow (faster out than in). Some what expensive for the Liberty around $172. I may get this, but I don't like the perforated inlet tube, seems like it would carbon up.

Aero Turbine is the best rated for most free flow and quick turbo spin-up. It uses a straight through design with spirally perforated tube (apparently no side silencing material,) depending on gas swirl for reduced harshness. The sound clips (even though I couldn't find one for the Liberty) sound really good. Louder than stock, but not harsh like the Magnaflow. Expensive at $192. They also have a resonater at an additional $84 which calms things down.

I like the design of the Aero the best. Seems less prone to carbonizing and general gunking. I'll probably go for this one, and add the resonator if I get a headache.

My research has shown that at lower rpms one does not need a freeflow air intake. I kind of agree with that. On a Subaru Outback I had K&N Ram air intake and a catback exhaust extactor. That thing sucked about every other vehicle on hills even pulling a boat/camp trailer. It would redline any gear (manual) in the right spot. I used to haul booty on any RV rig I met on hills. But it wanted to do that at about 4500 rpm or more and was very loud!

So for low rpm maxi torque efficiency I thing the Aero might be best.

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Get the Magnaflow or go straight pipe. You will not be able to notice the added sound with the Magnaflow, but will have all the benefits of a less restrictive exhaust. The straight pipe is as good, but you may induce a droan at cruising rpms. I was able to source a magnaflow for onlly $55 shipped, from A1 performance. Link is in another thread. It was easy to R&R for the muffler shop.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:48 am 
LOST Addict

Dollar wise the Magnaflow or Flowmaster 40 is the way to go and both are about the same price. The Fowmaster 40 has a throathy idle sound but not loud, just a nice sound. When throttled up it is as quite as stock and it cost me $100 and change installed. The Flowmaster is very heavy built and is probably best choice for off roading because id is smaller then stock muffler and has about 1 1/2 to 2 inches better ground clkearance then stock, the Aero is larger then stock and decreases ground clearance by about an inch one of the guys reported. The choice should be made for how and where the rig is to be driven.

PS: welcome to the forum. Also some find the drone of a straight pipe hard to put up with, I don't but wife does so I did the Flowmaster 40 and got of cheap.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I appreciate all the input. i know, I want to take her off-roading and hopefully some day get to go up some rocks with you guys & gals :) I would definately like to start with some performance gains.

other mods coming soon...