It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Differences between European and NA CRDs?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:22 am 
LOST Member

I was just curious if there was any differences between the CRD engine in Europe and the one we get here in North America. I know that in America, the EPA is more focused on NOx than in Europe, so I've got to wonder if the cam timing, injection timing, and EGR flows are the same? For example, I know on the third generation Dogde Cummins, the cam timing was retarded 5 degrees for emmisions. This was thought to be one of the reasons that the fuel economy dropped on the newer engines. I also wonder what the oil requirements are for the European CRD. Can they use the MB 229.5 5W30 or 0W30 oils?

Just idle curiousity at this point, but it would be nice to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Hmm not sure on the oil but as for the emissons the european standard is HIGHER than in the US. That is why you see particle filters on european cars now and not in the uS. The high sulfer content was a huge factor in the TDi E-spec cars not making it to the US as it caused havoc on the sensors. Every car made in europe has a TDi brother. OK well except for the sports cars. The US is behind the times on TDi cars and trucks. About 12 years behind. I am not sure as to what all is different on the 2.8 Fiat motor that is in the Cherokee/Liberty(US). I have only driven one with the 6sp and that was briefly. I really did not get a chance to look it over well. The next chance I get I will have to look at a E-spec CRD. The same engine also comes in the Grand Cherokee as well. There are quite a few cosmetic differences in the US and E-spec KJ's though. Nothing major just little things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:53 pm 
LOST Addict

It's not a Fiat engine, it's a VM Motori as in our US Liberty's. Just tunned different for the ULSD fuel in Europe is all, and I don't believe they are required partical traps till '06 or '07 model year, and '09 in the US. By the way VM make quite a few diesels and have even some running in Asian vehicles they build and in some cases designed for the Asian car but mfg under licence by the Asian company.

The LX cars like my Magnum has the MB V6 diesel now in those cars in Europe. Sure would like a V6 CRD MB V6 in a Magnum.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:08 pm 
LOST Member

jinstall wrote:
Hmm not sure on the oil but as for the emissons the european standard is HIGHER than in the US. That is why you see particle filters on european cars now and not in the uS. The high sulfer content was a huge factor in the TDi E-spec cars not making it to the US as it caused havoc on the sensors. Every car made in europe has a TDi brother. OK well except for the sports cars. The US is behind the times on TDi cars and trucks. About 12 years behind. I am not sure as to what all is different on the 2.8 Fiat motor that is in the Cherokee/Liberty(US). I have only driven one with the 6sp and that was briefly. I really did not get a chance to look it over well. The next chance I get I will have to look at a E-spec CRD. The same engine also comes in the Grand Cherokee as well. There are quite a few cosmetic differences in the US and E-spec KJ's though. Nothing major just little things.

I could be wrong, but the US is real anal about the NOx emissions, where the European standards focus on particles, fuel economy, and green house emissions. That was why I was wondering about the cam and injection timing. Both of these have an affect on lowering cylinder temperatures. And if these are retarded, both would affect throttle response and fuel economy. I agree that the European standard make more sense, but since when does the US government make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:14 am 
LOST Addict

Just found out that the Grand Cherokee has a V6 3.0LCRD avalible with 218ps and 510Nm. This should be the same CDi motor that is in the new ML and S-Klasse.

Cubic Capacity 2987 cc
Configuration 6 cylinders in vee
Bore x Stroke 83.0 x 92.0 mm
Compression Ratio 18.0:1
Fuel System Common rail diesel, compression direct injection
Maximum torque 376 lb ft @ 1600 rpm
Maximum power 215 bhp @ 4000 rpm
Gearbox 5-speed automatic
4x4 system Quadra-Drive 2, active full time, electronically engaged clutch pack coupling in centre differential and front and rear variable locking Electronic Limited-Slip Differentials

Combined Cycle 27.7 (10.2) mpg (l/100 km)
Extra Urban Cycle 32.8 (8.6) mpg (l/100 km)
Urban Cycle 21.6 (13.1) mpg (l/100 km)
CO2 Emissions 270 g/km

0-62 mph 9.0 seconds
Maximum speed 124 mph
Kerb weight (max) 2310 kg
Gross vehicle weight 2750 kg
Payload 440 kg
Maximum towing capacity (braked trailor) 3360 kg
Fuel tank capacity 77.7 ltr

Oldnavy BTW I have been told by every DC dealer here that the 2.8 was a Fiat motor built in Italy so that is where the info I put out came from. Also MB does not have CRD's they have CDi's. 8)

Wow on th UK website I found this and it is not avalible in Germany.

Cherokee is now available as a commercial vehicle. The Jeep Cherokee Pioneer boasts more than 1954 litres of load space and a payload of 370 kg. The completely flat cargo area in the commercial version is created by replacing the rear seats with a full length galvanised metal floor that is finished with a hard wearing minimum slip carpet for load security. The OTR price applies to VAT registered customers only (£21,784.23 standard OTR price).
http://www.jeep.co.uk/jeep/derivatives/ ... rlcoat.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:55 am 
LOST Addict

Here a link to the VM website for the V6 used in Jeep in Europe. Motori V6 CRD VM is owned jointly Penkse (of race fame) & Detroit Diesel, and DD is owned by MB which is owned by D/C which owns Chrysler, which owns Jeep. Wheew!!! I have been told D/C is using MB V6 CDI for the LX series (300C, 300C Estate which is the Magnum wagon in US cars. Do you know if that is true?

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

One says "Liberty CRD" The other says "Cherokee CRD" LOL

~JUD :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:24 pm 
LOST Member

There are minor differences lighting interior the "Oh doo doo bar" is missing, sunroof is a rare option 17" alloys on Ltd CRD a single CD player and no Sub woofer
Tyres are standard Goodyear Wrangler S4 no DSC leather is an option albeit a free option from DC at the moment on LTD, Renegades only have two roof lights, have 16" rims with 225/70 x 16 S4 Wranglers as standard
Only LTD's get the good hifi speakers, thats about it trim wise.
Under the hood the spec reads 163Hp 295 lb ft and yes we DO get the egr screw up's too.
Engine wise it is a VM and a nice wee thing it is, in the KJ and Mercedes out of Stuttgart in the Grand. No plans to fit this to a KJ. Also I just saw my first 300C CRD today it is faster the the 3.5 V6 petrol a real beauty. Even sounded mean from the outside inside was as quiet as the hemi I drove late last summer

One other major difference in the UK spec our steering wheel is way over yonder on the wrong side :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Derek Mc wrote:
T...Renegades only have two roof lights...

I want to see a picture of one of these!

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Derek Mc wrote:
One other major difference in the UK spec our steering wheel is way over yonder on the wrong side :lol:

Yeah, I noticed that oddity. Do you guys do that just to be different? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Derek Mc wrote:
There are minor differences lighting interior the "Oh doo doo bar" is missing, sunroof is a rare option 17" alloys on Ltd CRD a single CD player and no Sub woofer
Tyres are standard Goodyear Wrangler S4 no DSC leather is an option albeit a free option from DC at the moment on LTD, Renegades only have two roof lights, have 16" rims with 225/70 x 16 S4 Wranglers as standard
Only LTD's get the good hifi speakers, thats about it trim wise.
Under the hood the spec reads 163Hp 295 lb ft and yes we DO get the egr screw up's too.
Engine wise it is a VM and a nice wee thing it is, in the KJ and Mercedes out of Stuttgart in the Grand. No plans to fit this to a KJ. Also I just saw my first 300C CRD today it is faster the the 3.5 V6 petrol a real beauty. Even sounded mean from the outside inside was as quiet as the hemi I drove late last summer

There also seems to be a lot more diffent configurations available in europe.
Like CRD + 6sp manual transmision, or Renegade CRD... :(
What is the milage rating on the CRD in Europe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Derek Mc wrote:
the "Oh doo doo bar" is missing

There are some important naming differences between th UK and the US too:
Cherokee = Liberty
"Oh doo doo bar" = "Oh sh|t handle"

Edit: didn't realize it was the forums censoring rules that changed oh sh|t to "oh doo doo"

Last edited by LEDfoot on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Well here on the "Main Land" the steering wheel is where it is suposed to be LOL, on the left. I have seen one CRD 300 on the lot but I have not driven it. The local US dealer finally got a Magnum AWD in, but alas it is too wide for the driveway. I will be doing alot of E-spec conversion parts to the US Libby and will soon call it a Cherokee. One option Ihave not seen on any Jeep is the heated windshield that almost all Ford products have here in Germany. I will be fitting one of these in my Focus as soon as I can break it. Maybe it will come out later and I will fit it to the KJ. I still have not settles on a colr yet. Ihave a siver one on hold but I had to finally break down and tell the wife I bought her another new car. So I have to wait to see what color she picks. Currently the silver is on hold. Oh crap off topic.

What the heck is a doo doo bar?

Te 6sp is a ok to drive a little short in the gearing for a autobahn car I think.

You can really get a KJ stripped in europe.

Yeah I have seen the KJ here with only the 2 lights on top. I think it is some kind of regulation they have in europe to have only 2 lights on top.

Teh rear bumper is differentas it has to support extra fog lights. The re rear licenceplate holder is in the spare tire.

I will have to look and see if I can find some photos.

http://www.jeep.de/content/jeep/de/cher ... im3-HL.gif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:16 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Hee hee...what a great topic. The "Oh doo doo bar," or OS Handle, is the handle above the glove box that the passenger grabs (yelling "OH SH*T!!!") when you're driving up the side of a tree and/or over the edge of a cliff. Some also call the ingress handles (handles attached to A-Pillars to assist entry) "OS Handles."

Personally, I really like the idea of calling it the Doo Doo Bar, because it seems almost as fear-induced appropriate as "Oh crud!". But we might run into copyright infrigements since that's the nickname of a Baby Ruth candy bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:31 pm 
LOST Member

NJBill wrote:
Derek Mc wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that oddity. Do you guys do that just to be different? :shock:

Personally I tried driving on the right but after three police arrests, four major pile ups and three hundred and fifty near misses I just chose to conform with the other 100 million drivers and stick to the left :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:34 pm 
LOST Addict

dog_party wrote:
Hee hee...what a great topic. The "Oh doo doo bar," or OS Handle, is the handle above the glove box that the passenger grabs (yelling "OH SH*T!!!") when you're driving up the side of a tree and/or over the edge of a cliff. Some also call the ingress handles (handles attached to A-Pillars to assist entry) "OS Handles."

Personally, I really like the idea of calling it the Doo Doo Bar, because it seems almost as fear-induced appropriate as "Oh crud!". But we might run into copyright infrigements since that's the nickname of a Baby Ruth candy bar.

Old school here we called it a OS handle as well. Now I know.

I am seriously thinking of switching the guage cluster out for the KPH. Would be easier to use here.

First thing I have to get is the license holder for the rear. Got to put the log plates on the car.