It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery post really oxidized, new cat battery.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I cleaned my battery posts last fall and they're all oxidized again. Working in an airline electrical shop, I asked my more qualified buddies who told me the battery was sulfating because it was about to give way. Anybody experienced this before? I ordered myself a Caterpillar battery with 690 cca to replace the bean counter peace or cr%$p. Anybody tried cat batteries?

Thanks.

2006 CRD KJ, 245/70R16 A/T KO, GDE eco tune, ARB bull bar, OME lift, AVIC-N4, turbo timer, pulsetech solargizer, Racor CCV3500, Racor 245R122 fuel head, Caterpillar battery, oem light bar, KC lights, HID fog lts, cb, ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:03 pm 
LOST Addict

While not the best battery in the whole wide world, the stock Optima red top was up-speced from the usual bean counter crap. A battery has a useful life, and if one makes it four years in AZ, like my Optima has, then I am thankful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In Quebec, we didn't even get the optima battery, we're getting a mopar standard low maintenance battery (not even maintenance free). The positive post was blue from copper oxide and the negative was white. I suspect they're using this battery because it resists better to cold weather and heavy cranking during extreme cold start. Once again, the life expectancy of this battery seems also to be 3 to 4 years.

2006 CRD KJ, 245/70R16 A/T KO, GDE eco tune, ARB bull bar, OME lift, AVIC-N4, turbo timer, pulsetech solargizer, Racor CCV3500, Racor 245R122 fuel head, Caterpillar battery, oem light bar, KC lights, HID fog lts, cb, ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:29 pm 
LOST Addict

e_poirier2004 wrote:
In Quebec, we didn't even get the optima battery, we're getting a mopar standard low maintenance battery (not even maintenance free). The positive post was blue from copper oxide and the negative was white. I suspect they're using this battery because it resists better to cold weather and heavy cranking during extreme cold start. Once again, the life expectancy of this battery seems also to be 3 to 4 years.

If the cat battery is lead acid like the one you're taking out I don't think it will be any better. The Optima battery is great for the little diesel. All you have to remember about it is if you take many very short trips is that it will run low on charge. When you do charge it use only a slow charger overnight. My Optima battery is 11-2005 and still going strong.

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:36 am 
LOST Addict

Anyone able to buy the Optima from somewhere else than the dealer? I was told (Interstate batts.) they were not able to sell this battery to anyone but a dealer. Sounds like a load of crap to me. The guy laughed at me and said I was gonna pay dearly for "that" battery. Mine's still working fine, going on 5 years now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:57 am 
LOST Addict

go to http://www.optimabatteries.com/home.php

They list the CRD as a group 34 but I think a 34R is correct

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:04 pm 
LOST Addict

R is for the + and - reversed?? $160 is not so cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:15 am 
LOST Addict

Yes, I believe our battery is reverse and why I think 34R is the right battery. As for price, we are talking about an AGM spiral cell battery which cost more. Maybe you can find for better price at BJ's or Costco if they carry them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't know about the optima but the battery I have now is definitely a group 34, not 34R. The cat is a 34/78 and is a bit bigger but I'll fit it. No problem there, it's part of jeepin'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:25 am 
LOST Member

onthehunt wrote:
Anyone able to buy the Optima from somewhere else than the dealer? I was told (Interstate batts.) they were not able to sell this battery to anyone but a dealer. Sounds like a load of crap to me. The guy laughed at me and said I was gonna pay dearly for "that" battery. Mine's still working fine, going on 5 years now.

I believe I've seen the Optima's ad Advance Auto Parts. Now if they sell one for the CRD?...question to be answered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bought my new Red Top Optima off eBay, $139.95 delivered, arrived in the official sealed Optima foam-insulated shipping carton - the gel-cells hold their charge longer in vehicles that are parked for long periods, such as a RV tow-behind, or R&D - this KJ , with a new wet lead-acid battery, would not start after sitting one week on several occasions - popped the new Optima in there, and it reliably cranks after two weeks sitting - ECM will not allow starting when batt voltage is low, which will reduce cranking speed and can degrade injection timing - this also can result when battery posts\cables are oxidized\corroded

FYI: Optima batteries are Johnson Controls - that Cat battery will be made by Gould or Johnson Controls or Interstate or...............

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:52 pm 
LOST Member

gmctd wrote:
- the gel-cells hold their charge longer in vehicles that are parked for long periods, such as a RV tow-behind, or R&D - this KJ , with a new wet lead-acid battery, would not start after sitting one week on several occasions - popped the new Optima in there, and it reliably cranks after two weeks sitting - ECM will not allow starting when batt voltage is low, which will reduce cranking speed and can degrade injection timing - this also can result when battery posts\cables are oxidized\corroded

FYI: Optima batteries are Johnson Controls - that Cat battery will be made by Gould or Johnson Controls or Interstate or...............

Just started my chevy K5 Blazer with 4 year old Optima after sitting since October through a Colorado winter at 9100 feet.

Well worth the money.

Gary

front receiver hitch pending,
Factory Skids
Frankenlifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just fitted a cat 230-2368 in the kj. This battery is a group 65 which is just about 1/2 inches wider at the base than the oem. I had to modify the battery tray a bit and make new attachments but this monster is an industrial battery (machinery) and it cranks 880cca with a 140 min reserve. My oem was el cheapo automotive 600 cca with 120min reserve. Now I feel more confident to avoid problems this winter. I also have a lot of accessories and I wanted a reliable battery. This should solidify the kj a bit more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

e_poirier2004 wrote:
Just fitted a cat 230-2368 in the kj. This battery is a group 65 which is just about 1/2 inches wider at the base than the oem. I had to modify the battery tray a bit and make new attachments but this monster is an industrial battery (machinery) and it cranks 880cca with a 140 min reserve. My oem was el cheapo automotive 600 cca with 120min reserve. Now I feel more confident to avoid problems this winter. I also have a lot of accessories and I wanted a reliable battery. This should solidify the kj a bit more.
You should have looked into one of theses batteries,well worth the extra cost.
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1500series.htm

I have one in my KJ and load tested it and it returned a whopping 1395cca's,it took the place of a Optima Yellow Top that would never get past 800cca's.I like Optima's and have used them for years but these Odyssey batteries just blow them out of the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:39 am 
LOST Addict

How much???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The cat battery is about 150$ can. Not too bad considering an optima is 210$ at walmart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FYI - Jeg's has Optima Red Tops with a $25 rebate through Aug.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Optima/Optima-RedTop-Batteries/747399/10002/-1

makes the 34R $145 (before shipping)

Post subject: Re: Battery post really oxidized, new cat battery.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:10 pm 
LOST Member

e_poirier2004 wrote:
I cleaned my battery posts last fall and they're all oxidized again. Working in an airline electrical shop, I asked my more qualified buddies who told me the battery was sulfating because it was about to give way. Anybody experienced this before? I ordered myself a Caterpillar battery with 690 cca to replace the bean counter peace or cr%$p. Anybody tried cat batteries?

Thanks.

You can get a conductive paste or gel for the terminals that will help prevent the corrosion. Sulfating may be case for the internal lead plates, but I'm not so sure that's the case for the terminals. The terminals wouldn't be "sulfating" unless sulfuric acid is somehow getting on them. It's more likely lead oxide on the posts and then the corresponding metal oxide on the clamps. Anytime you have two dissimilar metals, the presence of moisture will promote a galvanic reaction and corrosion between the two.

For those looking for an Optima, it appears that $25 rebate is offered by all merchants...Advance Auto Parts (was looking for an example of the gel/paste mentioned above) and saw the rebate offer.

Post subject: All lead acid bateries gas some are worse than others
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Some European cars have batteries with vent hoses to direct the hydrogen gas and other junk away from the battery posts that causes the corrosion. Apparently our CRDs have an airflow dead spot near the battery posts that allows the gases to hand around and do their nasty deed. Your Lead acid battery may be a bad gasser.

Since I have better things to do, I stuck with Optima when the Bean Counter Chrysler Optima died. When my rear glass popped open with the rear hatch button and the dome light killed the battery (I quit using the button on my key and check my dome light when I am going to park for a week now) Optima gave me a new one for free and restarted my warranty with a fresh one.
Since I don't like having my wife stranded and don't like cleaning battery terminals, I fitted her TDI with an Optima as well.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:26 pm 
LOST Member

My factory orginall dc optima red topper dies today without any warning. Bu4ild jeep has a build date of 8/05 so 4 years and 57k hard miles was the best I could muster.
The oddesy looks good but over twice the price of an optima.
Costco has red tops for $115 a bat. Have to see what the group number is but that was a month ago I walked by the bread and saw them sitting there an took mental note.
Can't find an interstae with the cca and size to fit under the hood. Any thoughts? Replace with same?
For some fun I called to see what the dealer wanted, only $260.

Skid Row Engine and Fuel Tank Skid Plates, straight pipe, modified air box, Tow Hooks, 245/70/16 Hankook ATM RF10s, Kennedy Lift Pump,Home Made Provent, Husky Liners throughout, Wet Okole seat covers, All J Products Rear Storage Shelf, Fumoto, Frozen Rotors-Cross Drilled and Slotted, and Bilsteins all around