It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: P1189 code
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:30 am 
LOST Member

Has anyone solved this code and issue. The wife said the Libby had a short lose of power the other day. It happened only once and is running fine now. Ran the codes and it showed P1189. I searched everything here and no one seems to knows what it means or what to do. Just wondering if anyone has any more info.

'01 Dodge/Cummins - Work truck; Lots of mods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:24 am 
LOST Junkie

That's exactly what happened to me recently, short loss of power, switched off ignition and restarted and problem solved until next time :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:54 pm 
LOST Member

Actually, it wasn't a short loss of power, it was all the time. You just don't notice it is you drive it easy. I drove it the other day and it definitely wasn't right. I got to looking around and the

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:57 pm 
LOST Member

Actually, it wasn't a short loss of power, it was all the time. You just don't notice it if you drive it easy. I drove it the other day and it definitely wasn't right, very low power. I got to looking around and the air temp sensor on the air box was not plugged in completely. Plugged it up and all is well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Good call. P1189 is for the intake pressure sensor open circuit. That sensor does not measure air temp, but just correlates the outside pressure to the pressure measured in the intake manifold while in idling conditions. The connector retention clip is very weak and tends to break. You may need to do a tape job to keep it making contact.

Post subject: Re: P1189 code
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just had this on my jeep. Short loss of power, even completely stalled a few times. Where is the sensor plug that seems to be the culprit? Oh, I have p1189 and p1186.

Mods- EHM, In tank Cummins lift pump, Red Samco Hoses, Cleaned MAP senso, and changed oil with full synthetic

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:15 pm 
LOST Addict

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
Good call. P1189 is for the intake pressure sensor open circuit. That sensor does not measure air temp, but just correlates the outside pressure to the pressure measured in the intake manifold while in idling conditions. The connector retention clip is very weak and tends to break. You may need to do a tape job to keep it making contact.

I know this an old post of yours GDE, but I seem to remember you mentioning since then that your tunes have modified the routine which monitors this correlation to prevent CELs. Is that right or am I dreaming? If so, about when was the date that was implemented?

Edit: Nevermind, found it:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54305&p=607999#p607999

Does that mean we won't get P1189, or P1190?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:40 am 
LOST Newbie

altdiesel wrote:
Just had this on my jeep. Short loss of power, even completely stalled a few times. Where is the sensor plug that seems to be the culprit? Oh, I have p1189 and p1186.

I found the plug near the turbo hose. It was dangling and unplugged. Drove it a few miles and the check engine light turned off. Interesting enough, I have the Elm327 Bluetooth OBD2 reader and the Torque app for my phone. The app says that p1189 is for Oil Pressure sensor. Not all that happy with the Elm327. You get what you pay for, and in this case that is true. It cost me about $20 for the reader off of ebay. I may look into the kiwi http://plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTWIFI, instead.

The other thing that bothers me is my wife just came back from a 200 plus mile highway trip to Denver and about 177 city driving. We just filled up and only got 21MPG.

I have cleaned the MAP sensor, and changed the oil, changed the fuel filter,installed Samco's, and installed the Cummins in tank lift pump.

Any idea why my mileage is so low?

Mods- EHM, In tank Cummins lift pump, Red Samco Hoses, Cleaned MAP senso, and changed oil with full synthetic

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Your mileage is about average for a stock CRD, maybe a couple mpg low, but it depends on the tires, brake drag, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm no expert, but when I got my CRD the biggest thing dragging down my mileage was the stuck thermostat. I regularly got EVIC readings in the low 20s. After adding the inline thermostat I average something near 30mpg on the EVIC... so really something in the higher 20s. Just something to check maybe.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Maiettan wrote:
I'm no expert, but when I got my CRD the biggest thing dragging down my mileage was the stuck thermostat. I regularly got EVIC readings in the low 20s. After adding the inline thermostat I average something near 30mpg on the EVIC... so really something in the higher 20s. Just something to check maybe.

Interesting. And how would I check to see if my thermostat is stuck? Would I have to take it out? How time consuming it that? Any writeup's on how to add an in-line thermostat? I assume you would eliminate the OEM one?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The tstat typically fails "open" or by opening early which sends coolant to the radiator too soon and the engine never warms up to full operating temp. Typically this is seen in the temp gauge by the needle no longer running essentially straight up or 1/2 a needle width left of center but rather reading 3/8ths or less. NOTE this can be masked in summer weather with the AC running which tends to "force" the temp up to normal.

Options - 1) replace OEM tstat, cost ca. $120 and 1-2 hrs of time (use a 1/4" drive extension and socket the reach the bottom back tstat bolt) or 2) inline, see chat at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=63587&hilit=thermostat+line

I went with option 1 partially because I need the tstat core to send to Kap and because no one had come up with the inline idea at the time.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

The p1186 came back in and I have no communication with the BCM. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All, just got done with another tank of Diesel. Was surprised the fuel light came on at 341 miles, more surprised I only got 18MPG :shock:

I still need to check the thermostat, and now I am thinking maybe I need to get another MAP sensor, the thing that clogs up with black gunk, I cleaned it once, but it is dirty again.

Probably should also unplug the MAF sensor, but I don't want the CEL to mask major problems. I need to either invest in the GDE upgrade, or buy an SEGR. However, I wanted to make sure my Jeep was stabilized first, and I knew what issues it has to fix, prior to putting more money in possibly masking problems even more.