It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 K Mile EGR Failure
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:38 am 
LOST Addict

Not on mine (not yet anyway), but on my friend's down in Texas. Called him tonight during break at work. While I was down there last week, he mentioned that the week before they'd gotten a CEL for a couple of days, and then it went away.

We checked the service manual CD. According to it, the computer has to see the same out of spec condition over 2 startup and shutdown cycles to throw a CEL. Then, if the condition corrects itself, and the computer sees 3 startup and shutdown cycles without any out of spec indications, the CEL will go off, but the trouble code will still be logged in the computer. If the computer sees a subsequent 40 startup and shutdown cycles without any out of spec indications, then the trouble code itself will be self-erased from the computer.

He'd been planning on taking it into the dealer to have it checked out, and during the last couple of days started hearing a high pitched buzzing like an alarm clock when it was running. He checked under the hood, felt down on the EGR valve, and it was vibrating like mad.

It was still driveable, so he got it into the dealer pronto. Sure enough, the EGR valve had went south. He lucked out, the dealer located a replacement in Dallas, 3 hours drive away, and should have it tomorrow.

I told him about the glow plug failure info on another thread, about how it might be related to EGR failure, and recommended he have the dealer check out the glow plugs as well when they swap out the EGR.

FYI, he had over 20 K miles on his, running regular #2 dino, still using 0W40, no Provent or any other mods as yet.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:35 am 
Man, that report of a 20k EGR failure just momentarily sucked my will to live :(

It puts a cloud on the horizon for those of us who are holding on to the though that we may be lucky enough to escape this failure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:08 am 
LOST Addict

Yeah you are right. I've got almost 15,000 on mine now and I've been thinking "man I'm going to have one of the CRDs that doesn't have this problem." But now I'm not so sure. :( I'm driving my CRD 11 hours to Florida next week, and my worst nightmare is that the EGR will fail on that trip. With all the other little things that have gone wrong with this Jeep so far (including my appt. today to have my transmission shifter fixed), if the EGR does go bad on this trip my wife will probably say "sell it".

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:02 pm 
LOST Addict

I remember the tech's telling me the EGR failures were from some bad electrionics or dirt in the electronioc section of the EGR, I have wondered about that every since dealer had to take the EGR apart to put in a new oil dipstick tube. (don't ask why, it take to long to tell) While he had the EGR out he took it apart and cleaned it, and I seem to remember it was dirt in the EGR. I will be going to the dealership later and will check and see what he says.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:08 pm 
LOST Addict

oldnavy wrote:
I remember the tech's telling me the EGR failures were from some bad electrionics or dirt in the electronioc section of the EGR, I have wondered about that every since dealer had to take the EGR apart to put in a new oil dipstick tube. (don't ask why, it take to long to tell) While he had the EGR out he took it apart and cleaned it, and I seem to remember it was dirt in the EGR. I will be going to the dealership later and will check and see what he says.

If that's the case, sounds like they need to switch suppliers, or if it's built in house by DC, have a serious heart to heart with their QC inspectors and assemblers!

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:15 pm 
LOST Addict

VW had a bad time with outsourced MAF's for about 3 years after the problem was found and they got new MAF's in the system and all the problems cause ironed out.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine