It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fixed Rear Main Seal Leak 06 CRD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

After battling 2 years of stained driveway concrete, I accidently fixed our pesy rear main seal leak. I took our CRD out on a 600 mile trip towing a 3500 lb camper over the following Colorado Mountain passes: Wolf Creek Pass-7-8% grade, 10857 ft elevation, Coal Bank Pass (6.5% grade), Molas Pass (10,910 ft) and Red Mountain Pass (11,018 ft), Monarch Pass 11,312 ft elevation.

I had put in fresh Mobil 1 5w-40 (I usually run Rotella but wanted a true synthetic for the towing) prior to the trip and carried a spare gallon in case I needed to top off.

When we returned from our week long trip, the RMS quit leaking. Our Libby has 1200 miles on her since the trip all oil leak free.

PS Yes, she got hot towing on those long steep grades. I probably overheated the trannya little going to Ouray from Durango but did pull off the side of the road to cool down whenever the engine temp gauge exceeded 2 tick marks from half-way normal guage temp reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:55 pm 
LOST Addict

This is a strange one. :shock:

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah :shock:

guess it likes mobil better :?

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject: Strangeness of the Viton seal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Viton seals are weird and if you have any oil on the shaft, the Viton seal will leak. Perhaps the guy in Italy had greasy hand from dipping his bread in olive oil and got it on the crank shaft sealing area. Your trip must have seated in the seal.
One time I made a trip to Lewistown, MT to replace 7 leaky seals, we replaced 2 and found the springs inside were not the correct length and did not put enough lip seal pressure on the shaft, causing the seals not seat in. As I was there the other 5 stopped leaking. I shortened the springs on the rest of the new seals and gave them to the plant, they smiled and put them in their spare parts stock.
Unlike a conventional seal, when I install a Viton seal, I clean the shaft with brake cleaner and install it dry.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:03 am 
LOST Junkie

Diggerfreek wrote:
Yeah :shock:

guess it likes mobil better :?

Actually, it started leaking with Mobil 1 5w40. I switched to Rotella since it was cheaper and I was topping off with oil every couple of weeks.

I'm just happy that I can delay dropping the tranny for a while to replace the stock torque convertor. When I do drop the tranny, I'll probably replace the RMS just to be safe.

BTW, I have a racor fuel filter. Anybody know how long its good for? I've got 50k on it and am thinking of replacing it soon.

Post subject: fuel filter element replacement interval
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:12 am 
LOST Addict

We typically replace the element every 25-30k, but this depends on the type of fuel you are using. If using bio then the filter change interval should be more often. It is a fairly inexpensive component and having less fuel system restriction is always a plus.