It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Timing Belt, Water Pump parts list
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:44 am 
LOST Member

I bought a tool set on eBay that looks exactly like that. The camshaft pins and tensioner adjuster worked fine, but I was unable to get the flywheel pin to thread properly. I suspect it had more to do with dirty threads than a faulty tool.

All in all: worked fine even though I opted for the allen key method on the flywheel.

2006 CRD Sport - Weeks kit, ARP studs, and DIY ECU flash
1985 CJ10 pickup
1985 CJ10A tug truck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:56 am 
LOST Newbie

I found a tool kit from Stallion that has everything but the VM 1085 for only $92.00! Now to find that one for a decent price....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-5L-2-8L-D ... ls&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221604062039?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Takes about a week to receive.

Rich

GDE Hot tune and Trans Tune
Euro TC RL037142AA
Rebuilt Trans w/Transgo 68RFE
Air Box Mod
BMW oil Sep
MRBP exhaust
F-104 Fumoto valve
Hayden fan clutch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:53 pm 
LOST Member

etravlr wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221604062039?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Takes about a week to receive.

Rich

I bought this kit and every pin is an exact match. The flywheel pin needs some rocking of the crank to seat it all the way (not pin's fault). 1/4" wobble drive socket is a big help in this tight spot for the flywheel pin.

The tensioner tool is weak but would do the job. Just don't forget to loosen the tensioner bolt before pushing on the tensioner tool.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Performed the timing belt change this afternoon at 106,000 and all went good. The hardest part was removing all the stuff like rad, CAC. I did have a difficult time getting the belt over the tensioner, but after several attempts I got it. I am kinda proud of myself. Rotated the crank a couple times by hand ensuring everything was still lining up. Then, sweating bullets, fired it up and it ran like a top :BANANA:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

My 2005 crd has only 21000 miles on it. I've never replaced the timing belt. Is there an age limit on the belt other than 100k miles.

Post subject: Timing Belt, Water Pump parts list
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

Replace it. I'd normally say 100k or 6 years. Its a rubber compound (I think) and it ages. I replaced mine 3 years ago, and I had only done 52k.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

How did the belt look?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:34 am 
LOST Member

A lot of it depends on where you are located and the type of driving you do. I just replaced mine at 98K and it looked perfect but I was already into the change and went ahead with it. I do all highway and long trips. The CRD is garage kept and I live in Chicago with moderate temperatures. If you live in a very hot or cold climate and do short trips you put more stress on the belt. Then time is a greater issue. You may have only 21K on the belt but have started the engine more than I have depending on how you use the vehicle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

GJJack wrote:
How did the belt look?

I didn't change it - I don't have the skill or the tools, but the guy who did showed it to me. There were some small cracks, and compared to a new belt, it was a bit stiffer and a bit less flexible where the material had started to age. I was glad to have it changed - just in case.
Cheaper than the possible alternative!

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi guys -

I was about to change out my thermostat...engine temp gauge moves around quite a bit and I really only get good cabin-heat if I am driving up a hill.
But now, I believe my water pump has gone out too...funny squealing noise. Also noticed the radiator fan isn't turning anymore...

So I was curious, if I am replacing the water pump and thermostat (and a fan motor), should I replace anything else while I'm in there? My timing belt looks fine and was done 35k miles ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Courtney

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:29 pm 

skifast84 wrote:
Hi guys -
I was about to change out my thermostat...engine temp gauge moves around quite a bit and I really only get good cabin-heat if I am driving up a hill.
But now, I believe my water pump has gone out too...funny squealing noise. Also noticed the radiator fan isn't turning anymore...
So I was curious, if I am replacing the water pump and thermostat (and a fan motor), should I replace anything else while I'm in there? My timing belt looks fine and was done 35k miles ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Cheers,
Courtney

If yours is a diesel Jeep; your signature does not say, the water pump is driven by the cam timing belt, not the serpentine belt that drives the radiator fan.
Check radiator fan hub bearing, there have been a few of them that have failed.
Or could be the belt tensioner or one of the idler pulleys for the fan belt?

As to the squealing noise; you can remove the radiator fan serpentine belt completely, start engine and see if noise is gone.
If it still makes the noise, then problem is either the water pump, or the cambelt tensioner, or one of the cambelt idler pulleys and will require pulling the cambelt cover to locate. :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
This applies to Diesels or Gassers alike that use Gilmer style Belts for timing
If you replace the water pump (or pulleys or tensioner) or have to remove the timing belt for any reason, If it has more than a couple thousand miles, JUST REPLACE IT. Timing belts are not made for re-use, and any that are, will fail early and without warning.
If it has no more than a couple thousand miles, it MIGHT be safe if you keep the tensioner setting a tiny bit light.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10