It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Timing Belt, Water Pump parts list
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:34 am 
LOST Member

I was just online and themechanic kit mentioned above is now $572 :o . I just spoke to a mechanic locally who will do the job for $513 in labor. I can supply the parts myself so I was hoping to find them cheaper online than the dealership.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:17 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi All, haven't been on the forum for awhile which means I haven't had any issues in awhile either :D
I'm getting ready to order parts for the TB change and water pump. At this time I'm planning on the dealership doing the labor with me supplying the parts as it saves me a couple hundred if I supply them. Still looking for a trusty mechanic in Albuquerque area to do this though, but I'm in need very soon as I'm over 100K already.

Read this whole thread and still the questions lingers = is changing out the thermostat really necessary or recommended at this time? Having no issues with it so seems it should last quite a while, but haven't heard back from others on if it fails before 200,000 and if it can be changed easily enough if it does fail?
Thanks all for the sharing of knowledge here and the recommendationsI It's very much appreciated!

Missy

BFG AT TAKO's, Tint, Fumoto

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

MissysCRD wrote:
Hi All, haven't been on the forum for awhile which means I haven't had any issues in awhile either :D
I'm getting ready to order parts for the TB change and water pump. At this time I'm planning on the dealership doing the labor with me supplying the parts as it saves me a couple hundred if I supply them. Still looking for a trusty mechanic in Albuquerque area to do this though, but I'm in need very soon as I'm over 100K already.

Read this whole thread and still the questions lingers = is changing out the thermostat really necessary or recommended at this time? Having no issues with it so seems it should last quite a while, but haven't heard back from others on if it fails before 200,000 and if it can be changed easily enough if it does fail?
Thanks all for the sharing of knowledge here and the recommendationsI It's very much appreciated!

Missy

If your thermostat is functioning, there is no need to change it out. It can be changed fairly easily at anytime. It is the waterpump you are probably want to get changed out as it requires removal of the inner timing cover and all parts in between to change it out if it fails or leaks.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Wolverine, Yes I have the water pump and gasket in my parts list. Just wasn't sure how accessible the thermostat was so I appreciate the reply!
M

Post subject: Timing belt failure a function of mileage only?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

MissysCRD wrote:
. Still looking for a trusty mechanic in Albuquerque area to do this though, but I'm in need very soon as I'm over 100K already.

Missy

Hi Missy and others,

I'm in Santa Fe. Can you let me know who you find and whether or not you are happy with them? I may try to do the install myself; I'm able and have done it on a number of Toyota petrol engines, but may not have the time. I'd also love to chat with you about your eco tune on PM; I've just ordered one and will put it in when I get back to Santa Fe in July - along with removing the muffler and putting in a K&N air filter.

To Sam and/or other CRD gurus:

Is timing belt failure only a funtion of mileage or is there also a limited time span? My 4/2006 CRD has 73000 miles, so in theory it has another 27000 miles of life left in it safely. However, the rig is now six years old with the original timing belt. After reading what is required to be replaced if a timing belt breaks, is it worth doing the belt now to be on the safe side? There is one bloke here who mentions his belt breaking at around 71000 miles... obviously the exception rather than the rule.

I look forward to your thoughts.

CU Alumni
Flinders Law Alumni

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sam and I discussed duration vs mileage for the timing belt change fairly recently. I asked him because my 05 only has 45K miles and at the rate I drive per year it could be another 8-10 years before I hit 100k. The outcome was it's probably a good idea in my situation to just do the TB at 50K (about 8 years) which is when I'll do the serp belt anyway.

It's cheap insurance given the cost of a Gates TB and not particularly time consuming. Also at 50k I can check the various bearings but likely not worry about replacing any.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
Sam and I discussed duration vs mileage for the timing belt change fairly recently. I asked him because my 05 only has 45K miles and at the rate I drive per year it could be another 8-10 years before I hit 100k. The outcome was it's probably a good idea in my situation to just do the TB at 50K (about 8 years) which is when I'll do the serp belt anyway.

It's cheap insurance given the cost of a Gates TB and not particularly time consuming. Also at 50k I can check the various bearings but likely not worry about replacing any.

Thanks Papaindigo,

That is what I was thinking, so you have supported my instinct on it. I think I will do mine in the next year or so too.

Your rig must be fantastic. i wish mine was as new as yours. :) One question though: what's an 'inverted spare tire'?

Chamba

CU Alumni
Flinders Law Alumni

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The factory receiver hitch on the 05 and 06 combined with a standard length drawbar puts the hitch ball directly under the spare tire which makes it very challenging to hookup the trailer and latch it to the ball due to lack of vertical clearance. You can get a longer draw bar but that messes with tongue weight and such. The better solution is to remove your spare tire; unbolt the spare tire mount from the back door; invert (rotate 180 degrees) and reinstall the mount; and put you spare back on. That moves the bottom of the spare out of the way of the hitch latch and does it for free in like 10 minutes. FYI if you use a spare tire cover you will need to use several stainless steel washers on the bottom bolts the mount goes on to "shim" the bottom of the mount out just enough so the cover will fit between the bottom of the tire and the bumper.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the hitch tip. I have been fighting that thing for years. Defiantly the next mod I'm doing.
on topic, if any one in the santa cruz area needs assistance on a TB or to borrow tools let me know. Did mine last November.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Like I previously posted I was thinking of doing, I ordered all parts for my '06 from ID Parts. As I'm still deployed overseas, it was easy for my wife to order everything from one supplier instead of having to shop around a lot. I ordered both the upper and lower radiator hoses, but also want to get all the other various rubber cooling/heating systems hoses. Where have any of you bought those hoses from? If possible, please provide the source name and part numbers. If you got them from the Jeep dealership please provide the Mopar part numbers for them.

Thanks!

Steve

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I can be of only minimial assistance but will note that there are a lot of coolant hoses when you throw in things like the EGR cooler. Most of those hoses are simple over the counter stock straight heater hose in normal sizes. For those your best bet is to identify the sizes (5/8, 3/4, etc) and go to any good parts store and purchase XX' of the right stuff. There are a few places where the hose is molded (tstat to viscous heater comes to mind) and in those cases you kind of have 2 choices 1) OEM, see Sir Sam's link to the 06 parts fiche or 2) my personal preference which is to visit a REAL parts store like NAPA and look thru the hoses they have as I'll bet there is a hose or a hose section that will work perhaps with a bit of cutting and be way cheaper than OEM. If you do the latter please post what you find unless others have ones they can post now.

Two additional comments from personal experience:
1. figure on replacing every single OEM spring clamp with a SS worm clamp. Those spring clamps lose spring if manipulated much and can create endless invisible coolant leak points for future entertainment.
2. IMHO I'd leave the darn things alone and just do regular inspections. Not only are some (lower radiator hose) real bears to replace it has been decades since I've seen even high mileage modern coolant hoses need replacement. The good old days when radiator hoses were a carry in the trunk spare because they blew so often are decades long past.

Last edited by papaindigo on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:29 am 
LOST Newbie

I agree. I haven't actually seen a modern hose go out, but i did replace the lower radiator hose and a tiny 90 degree hose off of the WP that would be a real bear to do later. I just purchased a premolded hose from the auto parts store and cut it to fit. Although the hose that goes from the bottom of the overflow tank did leak. Very slowly, took me awhile to figure it out. It would be nice if they made a hose replacement package so you could do all 6435 hoses while you have it all apart.
on a cautionary note, i did manage to put a leak in my radiator while doing the TB. That fan and shroud are probably the hardest part of the job.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Chamba, I have mine at the dealership as we speak. I ordered all the parts and am having them do the labor. I'll let you know how it goes, as it's due out today. PM me if you wish, I'll check in.
Originally dealership quoted 5.4 hrs for the all the work when I requested both timing belt and water pump to be done and I told them I'd start worrying after 7.5 hrs of labor. They just called and said it'll be more like 7.1 hours total with the water pump. Gee, imagine that!
Tech advisor also said I don't have all the seals as there is a cover that needs to be removed to do the water pump? Not sure what 'cover' he talking about (nor does he) and he'll call back after the tech checks on this. I ordered the recommended parts lists on here from MOP, minus the thermostat stuff. I should have everyhting. We'll see what they say soon.
They better not make me miss voting this evening!
M

OK - valuable info learned. We all know the dealership has to follow the flowcharts. Well when they do the water pump portion, they replace a gasket and 2 seals behind the "inner timing belt cover". The only ones they found to replace these with was to order a new cover (#5159211AB) as the gaskets come with it. They couldn't find these available separately. BUT - if you order the timing belt gasket KIT you will get these in there. I had to call a different dealership (wish I had gone there now) to find this out. SO, IF u choose to do as I and purchase online and take all the parts to the dealership, be sure you order OE part# 5019861AA which will include the front cover gasket. Check out IDPARTs http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=2785 as they sell this kit, along with other folks.
This will save you time and money, as I've lost 2 days now waiting for new parts and duplicated the fromt timing cover gasket purchased separately earlier.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Those "covers" are stamped sheet steel dust covers that don't do all that much to keep dust out with the seals from the factory. IMHO the seals are not worth the paper they are made of.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Papaindigo, I agree about the dust covers and the seals and understand why the seals weren't added to the list of parts. If I had this done anywhere else it probably wouldn't have been a problem. But I guess since the dealership 'warranties' their work and follows the specs they are required to replace these so I was stuck in the position of having to get them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:43 am 
LOST Addict

Those timing cover gaskets are worthless. If you look closely at the crankshaft hub and the timing cover, there is a gap that lets dust in and no gasket. There have been a few field issues with deep water crossings or deep mud that got inside the timing cover and caused the timing belt to jump. Just something to note for the off-roaders out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:34 am 
LOST Junkie

914rrr wrote:
I can vouch for ID Parts as well. I bought most of my VW TDI parts from them. They actually stock most of the parts they sell vs most internet parts houses that are simply a retail 'middle man'. They are also true diesel enthusiasts that wrench on their own vehicles, and often offer installation advice, tips, etc. gladly.

I'll be ordering my timing belt kit from them shortly. I asked them about their 'standard' vs 'OEM' choices for the tensioner and water pump. Cory at ID Parts told me that the standard tensioner is mfg'd in Europe vs the OEM tensioner which is mfg'd in Canada. The standard water pump has a metal impeller vs OEM water pump that has a plastic impeller. I'm going with the standard version of both parts.

Link to ID Parts TB list:

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=2721

Can this be purchased WITHOUT the waterpump?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

striperman36 wrote:
914rrr wrote:
I can vouch for ID Parts as well. I bought most of my VW TDI parts from them. They actually stock most of the parts they sell vs most internet parts houses that are simply a retail 'middle man'. They are also true diesel enthusiasts that wrench on their own vehicles, and often offer installation advice, tips, etc. gladly.

I'll be ordering my timing belt kit from them shortly. I asked them about their 'standard' vs 'OEM' choices for the tensioner and water pump. Cory at ID Parts told me that the standard tensioner is mfg'd in Europe vs the OEM tensioner which is mfg'd in Canada. The standard water pump has a metal impeller vs OEM water pump that has a plastic impeller. I'm going with the standard version of both parts.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=2721

Can this be purchased WITHOUT the waterpump?

Yes, and I believe they also sell it with a factory pump for a few quid more (about $150 if I recall).

CU Alumni
Flinders Law Alumni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

Been a while since i have been here.. those of you who did the WP at the same time .. did you replace all the dampeners that were behind the cams on the cam shaft that come in the lit (5019861AA)?.. I am gathering all the stuff to get this job done. Thanks!

'05 Limited CRD Inferno Red Pearl Coat
Home made provent installed @ 35443, SEGR installed @ 35466, Fumoto valve @ 37500, trans and transfer case skid, In tank pump installed @ 43500, Suncoast TC & Transgo Shift Kit @ 44730, EGT, Boost, Trans temp gauges, Samco hoses, Rebuilt Trans w/ HD454RFE kit @ 56K, Inmotion Stage 2 @ 56K

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:50 pm 
LOST Member

irunmiles wrote:
I placed an oder with moparonlineparts.com. The water pump part number is different from my original post, but the parts supplier confirmed that the new number is for 2005 and 2006.

5142579AA - Timing belt - $133.09
5142798AA - Tensioner - $72.54
5142573AA - Idler pulley (2) - $99.10
5066921AA - Timing cover Gasket - $11.88
5159019AA - Water pump O-ring #2 - $3.96
4864575 - Water pump Gasket - $2.25
5142601AA - Thermostat - $93.49
5066806AA - Thermostat gasket - $1.76
5142985AA - Water pump - $153.99
Sub Total $572.06
Shipping $29.95
Total $602.01

Ok!
How up to date are these prices?

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2721

Which source is better?
136K I'm long over due.

http://www.lubedealer.com/ve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next