It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Timing Belt, Water Pump parts list
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:23 pm 
LOST Member

I just bought the crd a couple of weeks ago. It has 137000 miles I don't know if the timing belt been done. How long will the water pump last.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you cannot with absolute certainty determine that the TB was done do youself a huge favor and replace the TB like immediately, a new Gates T-336 TB is all of $72 with free shipping on Amazon. A careful DIY job, ample guidance on the forum, takes like 6 hours (physically hardest part is getting the fan nut undone but there are helpful hints on that too). If the various pulleys, including water pump, in there are not weeping grease and are solid with little play then IMHO they are probably good to 200K assuming you don't have a mysterious water leak.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:29 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
If you cannot with absolute certainty determine that the TB was done do youself a huge favor and replace the TB like immediately, a new Gates T-336 TB is all of $72 with free shipping on Amazon. A careful DIY job, ample guidance on the forum, takes like 6 hours (physically hardest part is getting the fan nut undone but there are helpful hints on that too). If the various pulleys, including water pump, in there are not weeping grease and are solid with little play then IMHO they are probably good to 200K assuming you don't have a mysterious water leak.

I think I just ordered the last one in stock on Amazon. Ordered new shocks, too.

Where to buy that timingcover gasket from (Timing cover gasket 5066921aa)? The site http://www.moparonlineparts.com/ breaks everytime I attempt to use it.

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks like you did get the last one at least for now. On the CRD the timing cover gasket really doesn't "do" much as the timing cover is a sheet metal dust cover. When I helped on lgoodbar's TB job we did not need to replace it so you can probably skip getting one. But if you want one it's only a $20 list price item vs. $13.50 on-line so you may be just as well off at a dealer as shipping charges may eat up most of the savings.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 am 
LOST Newbie

I am trying to find a water pump for a 2006 CRD. Is THISthe right one?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:38 pm 
LOST Member

whitedog wrote:
I am trying to find a water pump for a 2006 CRD. Is THISthe right one?

Listing says:

Item specifics
Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is ... Read more about the condition
Subtype: Pumps & Plumbing
Model/ Series: Cherokee, LIBERTY, KJ
Manufacturer: Jeep
Intended Use: Replacement Part

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Without pulling mine out of the sealed box to look it appears to be correct and the Jeep part # matches. I know they have been hard to get recently but you might try contacting http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/C ... 985AA.html as they show them "in stock".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
Without pulling mine out of the sealed box to look it appears to be correct and the Jeep part # matches. I know they have been hard to get recently but you might try contacting http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/C ... 985AA.html as they show them "in stock".

That is a "Crown" brand water pump. Is there any info on the reliability of these pumps? I would not want to install C.R.A.P. parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:52 am 
LOST Junkie

FWIW, the timing tensioner pully wrench (miller 9660) cross-references to the list below. At the moment, Amazon seems to have one of the best prices, at around $25: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YK7FUC/ref ... =dradis-20

From the UK Laser website: http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=686&item=1686

Code OEM Toolcode Description
C203 2587
H2587
Matra V159
U30009
VM9660
Hazet 2587/Stahlwille 127-17
MP 1-302
Hazet 2587
MP1-302 Tensioner Wrench

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:18 am 
LOST Newbie

If you are a VW TDI guy, the tensioner wrench from metalnerd works too. His price is a bit higher since he includes a spanner and comfort grip handle, but no need to buy one special for the CRD if you already have the one for the TDI.

msilbernagel wrote:
FWIW, the timing tensioner pully wrench (miller 9660) cross-references to the list below. At the moment, Amazon seems to have one of the best prices, at around $25: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YK7FUC/ref ... =dradis-20

From the UK Laser website: http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=686&item=1686

Code OEM Toolcode Description
C203 2587
H2587
Matra V159
U30009
VM9660
Hazet 2587/Stahlwille 127-17
MP 1-302
Hazet 2587
MP1-302 Tensioner Wrench

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm at 100k and need to do the timing belt. But I also have some suspension needs (for saftey/control - not a lift). I can't afford everything at once so I need to space my purchases.
I read through how to change the timing belt, and how to change both the timing belt and water pump. But the fsm i have doesn't have water pump replace section for the 2.8. So I'm not sure what it would take for just the water pump if i did it later.
So here are my questions:
1. If i just do the timing belt now, how much work will i have to redo when i need the water pump and idlers etc...?
2. What's the risk of the water pump failing? Or any of the other parts other than the timing belt?

Thanks guys,
Josh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was looking for something else on the forum today (March 2012) and found this post. I heartily recommend Justin (oldpoopie) to change your timing belt if you're anywhere near Portland, Oregon. I'm the one who talked him into doing mine more than a year ago.

http://www.moparpartsonline.com was a good source for the parts.
http://www.westburyjeep.com was another.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not sure how long the water pumps last for. When I did my timing belt last year the pump appeared fine, and rotated smoothly. But..you will basically be doing the timing belt change over again if you do them at different times. The water pump is driven by the timming belt. The wp Pully has a ridge on it that would prevent one from slipping the belt off. I'd do them at the same time. But I started saving money and parts at about 80k. Good luck. If you get stuck or need advice, just ask. More than enough helpful people here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anyone try the timing belt kit from IDParts.com?
Seems like a good deal. OEM parts available for an extra charge.

Timing Belt Kit (Liberty CRD) $385.95
Timing Belt Kit (Liberty CRD)
Click to enlarge

Complete Timing Belt Kit for the Jeep Liberty CRD. The Liberty CRD 2.8L turbo diesel has a 100,000 mile timing belt change interval.

This kit includes:

Timing Belt
Timing Belt Rollers (Qty 2)
Timing Belt Tensioner
Water Pump
Water Pump Gaskets & Seals
Serpentine Belt

A new complete thermostat is available below as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:31 am 
LOST Newbie

don't know the web site or the quality of the parts, but that is a huge savings over what I spent at moparonline. I looked high and low for a timing belt kit. couldn't find one last summer. even if I had to change it again (not hard now that I've done it) at 160K miles it would still be cheaper. I guess the biggest concern would be the quality of the belt. the others could fail and it would be a pain, but not so much damaging as the belt could cause if it failed early.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Peter is a well known supplier of parts for TDIs to the TDI world, so that part isn't a worry.

I won't address the quality of the parts, but on TDIs if there is a belt failure, it's typically from a part in the belt path failing, then taking out the belt. So I would be less worried about the belt as long as the time interval isn't grossly exceeded.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I can vouch for ID Parts as well. I bought most of my VW TDI parts from them. They actually stock most of the parts they sell vs most internet parts houses that are simply a retail 'middle man'. They are also true diesel enthusiasts that wrench on their own vehicles, and often offer installation advice, tips, etc. gladly.

I'll be ordering my timing belt kit from them shortly. I asked them about their 'standard' vs 'OEM' choices for the tensioner and water pump. Cory at ID Parts told me that the standard tensioner is mfg'd in Europe vs the OEM tensioner which is mfg'd in Canada. The standard water pump has a metal impeller vs OEM water pump that has a plastic impeller. I'm going with the standard version of both parts.

Link to ID Parts TB list:

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=2721

Only those who do not move do not die...but are they not already dead? Jean Behra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm deployed right now overseas with the AF, and will do both the TB and WP when I get back later this year. What comments can anybody make about the ID Parts kit? It seems tempting to go with them. Can anybody comment about the "standard" verus "OEM" parts they offer? I'd also like to order ALL the coolant hoses I'll need, so would appreciate somebody giving part numbers and a source for them too. Does anybody know if ID Parts offers those hoses?

MANY thanks in advance,

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Good idea to change the hoses also. I was going to do them all also but only ended up doing the lower radiator hose and a tiny angle hose that comes off the WP and would be hard to replace later. Seems they are all specially bent hoses and the cost was going to get me. I tried to do the upper but the hose ordered was about 2" short. Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:37 am 
LOST Newbie

As others above mentioned, I too contacted ID Parts to get a quote. Their price was approx $1,350 for the following (incl shipping to NM):

timing belt kit (with OEM pump and belt tensioner)
thermostat
radiator cap
all coolant hoses (not just upper/lower radiator hoses)
alternator decoupler pulley
fan clutch
timing cover gasket kit
serpentine belt tensioner
timing belt tensioner tool

How does this track with what others have been quoted?

Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next