It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Latest Dyno Results
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:41 pm 
LOST Addict

For those of you following this story, you may recall that the last trip to the dyno compared the InMotion Stage II with the GDE ECO tune, resulting in:

ECO: 168.3HP @ 3500
307.8 lb/ft @ 2500

IM SII: 180.8 HP @ 3500
328.7 lb/ft @ 2530

This time, it was GDE vs. GDE:

HOT: 180 HP @ 3600 RPM
320 lbs/ft @ 2700 RPM

ECO: 160 HP @ 3600 RPM
293 lbs/ft @ 2600 RPM

Check my previous posts for testing details (same dyno/same operator/same method). The only difference in the vehicle this time was the addition of a "euro" JK TC.

These are all SAE corrected numbers. The ambient was about 58 compared to 80 in June. The correction factor added power in June and took away power in Nov.

All runs made in June were with the SEGR enabled. The latest runs were made with it both enabled and disabled. There was no meaurable difference either way, as one would expect with GDE ECUs.

Given that the "reference" ECU (GDE ECO) was down 8 HP and 15 lbs/ft from the last runs, it would make sense to add those numbers to the current HOT ECU numbers if you want to try to get a sense of how the GDE HOT tune might compare to the IM SII. However, the current numbers should be a very precise comparison of the two tunes GDE currently offers because this was same day, back-to-back. (BTW, I strongly suggest the ECO unless you have a TC that can handle the additional torque of either the HOT or the IM SII.)

It is unclear what all was involved with the power being down somewhat this time with the same ECU that had previously been tested in June. However, the sllghtly higher RPM of the torque numbers accounts for some of it. The only known change to the test vehicle was the replacement of the TC.

Please carefully review all my previous dyno test threads before posting questions about these results. Don't mean to be rude, but I'm moving my office and am really pressed for time for a while. I'm happy to respond to questions that have not previously been posed, though.

On the subjective side, when driven conservatively, the HOT tune seems to me to produce the same remarkable MPG numbers as the ECO.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:11 am 
LOST Addict

Awesome info. I am holding off on the hot tune and keeping the eco for now. Waiting for the turbo...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have the IM S2. I'd like to know general driveablity and MPG differences between the IMS2 and HOT GDE tunes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The difference on the ECO tune from May and November could be winterized fuel :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:33 am 
LOST Addict

Interesting thought, Joe R. Does anyone know if antigel additives lower the energy value of a gallon of diesel the way increasing the alcohol content of gasoline does?

CRD Joe,

GDE offers a seemingly always increasing array of neat little features that nobody else does, but if you already have SEGR installed, the only reason I would consider dumping the IM SII (which I bought first) is mileage. My wife drives the Jeep everyday in a very conservative, consistent pattern of 50/50 local/highway. She never got better than 23 MPG (hand calculated) with the stock ECU. This jumped to 26 with the addition of BOTH SEGR and IM SII (at the same time). Addition of the GDE ECO bumped it to a consistent 30 over the summer, with a long straight highway trip yielding almost 34. 4 tanks with the GDE HOT seem to be yielding similar mileage.

It's been a long time since I have driven with the IM SII, so my memory for the real subtlties has faded. The main difference is the vastly better throttle response of the IM when you first touch the pedal. I really liked that, but cutting back on that is probably where GDE gains a good part of their MPG advantage.

As you can see from the dyno numbers, as long as you get into the pedal, the power is there when you really want it with the GDE.

An important part of the most recent runs is that there seems to be no difference (at least at WOT) in performance with/without SEGR with GDE ECUs. Some people have been skeptical about GDE's claim to be able to fully control the EGR with the ECU in the face of IM's claim that this is "impossible". While these dyno results are far from "proof", they do add to the mounting data that GDE's claims in this area may well be true. Personally, I have been running SEGR disabled for over 6 months now and at 6K oil change intervals the oil finally stays translucent for at least 500 miles following and the MAF sensor is only slightly "colored" with literally no "gunk" when I take it out to clean it.

Prior to SEGR, the MAF would be "caked" in 1000 miles (maybe sooner, I never checked more often) and the oil would be opaque after a change and just having idled for a minute.

I have not had a chance to try the viscous heater "early off" feature yet GDE has just added. BTW, if you remove the VH relay, you will pick up a minimum of 2-3 MPG in the winter. This is no joke. It consumes a huge a mount of power. In New England, last winter we ran without it, but with a FIA blanket and warmup was not much different than the previous winter with the VH operational and no grill cover. The new programming turns it off at a much lower coolant temp. The idea is for it to turn off after about the first 5 minutes from cold.

In summary, it looks like the GDE HOT may make just a little more HP and torque than the IM SII, but probably not enough that anyone could really feel. However, for anyone who does not already have SEGR actually installed and clearly working properly, the dramatically lower overall cost of the GDE tunes make them the obvious choice.

BTW, the "euro" JK TC (with GDE HOT) has shown absolutely no signs of shudder, so far, even under the most brutal towing conditions I could throw at it (5K tall horse trailer up long highway hills). (The IM SII with the F37 converter would literally blur my vision.) Since this is now the "standard" replacement TC for our US CRDs, I see it as the only thing to consider now. It will not void any factory warranty coverage for the trans, TC or related parts. The price is a fraction of Suncoast ($225 @ MPA) and several people have had shudder problems with Suncoast.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DOC4444 wrote:
Interesting thought, Joe R. Does anyone know if antigel additives lower the energy value of a gallon of diesel the way increasing the alcohol content of gasoline does?
DOC

Most if not all fuel is winterized by additng kerosene and it has less btu's per gallon :shock: I was talking to a tank truck driver for a local respected distributor and he said they added 30% kero :cry:
I got my first diesel car in the fall of 1978 and have noticed decreased MPG every year starting in early fall :cry:

Post subject: Re: Latest Dyno Results
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Quick question on dynoing the CRD . . . Do you use the OD off button on the tranny to keep it in 1:1 and the TC locked up? If so, do you have to be careful when applying the fuel pedal to keep it from unlocking? I've dyno'd a manual tranny vehicle but not an automatic.

2004 Dodge Ram Cummins, lots-o-mods
1990 YJ Repowered with 06 Cummins B3.3T
2005 Kubota BX1500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 am 
LOST Addict

Yes, you take O/D off, slowly accel up to about 38mph when it shifts, hold there then roll into the throttle as fast as you can without unlocking the TC. It may take a few tries.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:01 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks.

2004 Dodge Ram Cummins, lots-o-mods
1990 YJ Repowered with 06 Cummins B3.3T
2005 Kubota BX1500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:04 pm 
LOST Addict

OP:

Would you mind posting the DXF file of your dyno runs?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:27 pm 
LOST Member

I have the imII and have had it for a long time, and i love it, however, i do have a cel for p0401 because i removed the fcv butterfly and plated off the egr.

California is soon to start smogging diesels, and you can not pass with a cel. In the future I will NEED a hot tune, and i would like it to have more power than the imII

For the price of the SEGR i could just about have a gde hot, if only it had more power.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great info. thanks Doc.