It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aftermarket mufflers and MPG
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:04 am 
LOST Member

I've been reading with interest about the gains in mpg with the aftermarket mufflers but it seems that the discussion has tapered off somewhat. For those of you that have installed an aftermarket muffler, could you please list the type of muffler and the change in mpg? I will be doing this mod before the 1st Annual AZ Fun in the Sun Run and was wondering which was the best bang for the buck. Hopefully we can get enough input for an average with each type of muffler. Thanks for your input!

Yukon Rear Axles
265/75 16 TrXus M/T's and Bridgestone Revo's
Fumoto Valve
Aero Turbine 2525
Rock Lizard Komodo Bumper
Sundance Custom's Front Bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:17 am 
LOST Newbie

It seems that if you are OK with added noise then the straight pipe method is the best bang for the buck at well under a c note, probably more like a couple of cases of beer depending on who you know. The $50-$150 range will get you a Magnaflow, Flowmaster, and Aeroturbine (in that order too) and all seem to sound about the same, very close to stock. Actually at some speeds the aftermarket items can be quieter. Having watched the Magnaflow and Flowmaster, the MPG gain is around 2 overall, city and highway. Turbo seems to spool quicker and pull seems to be a little better. The real benefit, in addition to MPGs, is probably the decrease in EGTs over stock. Hopefully this decrease in temp will equate to added longevity, but no one will know for atleast a couple more years.

Good luck,

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:34 am 
LOST Junkie

Used Aero Turbine muffler, installed two days ago. At least 2-3 mpg gain according to the display.

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:05 pm 
LOST Addict

It's a little early to say and yet too soon to say also. We only have 4,000 miles on the CRD and I did the Flowmaster 40 install ($90+tax) at about 1,500 miles so we didn't have the CRD broken in as yet (diesels usually keep getting better mpg's till about 5,000 to 10,000 mile point depending on several variables) and we have seen 31 mpg high so far on the highway with around town now up to 21 and 21 mpg average.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:50 pm 
LOST Member

oldnavy...what was your average before? I have all the armor, 2.5" of lift and heavier tires and realistically get about 20-21 in mixed driving. It'd be nice if I can get another 2mpg just from the muffler alone. Thanks!

Dave

Yukon Rear Axles
265/75 16 TrXus M/T's and Bridgestone Revo's
Fumoto Valve
Aero Turbine 2525
Rock Lizard Komodo Bumper
Sundance Custom's Front Bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:25 pm 
LOST Addict

My CRD is approaching 15,000 miles, so it's good and broken in. On the winter blend of diesel that we have now I was averaging 20 mpg stock. I straight-piped the CRD for a while, and to my surprise I still got 20 mpg. Wife complained it was too loud, so now I am running a Magnaflow muffler. Manually calculated today...19.9 mpg. So in my experience, I have gained no mileage with an aftermarket muffler.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:45 am 
LOST Addict

Like I said I converted too soon to really tell, but my guess is yes the wife is getting about 2 mpg's more then before. If you straight piped and tended to do as most do and get on the throttle a little more you could easy loose 2 to 3 mpg till you get used to it and stop playing with the throttle. In my Magnum I dropped from average of 18 to 21 mpg around town to 13 mpg and then it hit me that I was letting the exhuast talk a lot, which means I was revving it out further and listening to growl. I have since dropped back to normal style and mileage is back to normal of 19.8 mpg this last fillup.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine