It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody seafoam the CRD?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:53 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Yes it has. I've used maybe 6 cans of it in the CRD in the 4 years that we have owned it. Just about any "snake oil" will cost you. Only question is...do they work. I think Seafoam has passed the test of time.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:29 am 
LOST Addict

The one thing I'm not sure of is where to pour it in to clean the intake. for a gasser you would pour it in a vacuum line like the PCV hose. but I'm not sure with our CRD's. I know that I can put it in the fuel and crank case before an oil change for cleaning and will do that, but I would like to clean the intake too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:46 am 

mikey1273 wrote:
The one thing I'm not sure of is where to pour it in to clean the intake. for a gasser you would pour it in a vacuum line like the PCV hose. but I'm not sure with our CRD's. I know that I can put it in the fuel and crank case before an oil change for cleaning and will do that, but I would like to clean the intake too.

It says on the instruction page that to introduce ANY liquids into the intake on a diesel will cause damage and BLOW IT TO KINGDOM COME!! Don't do it. You will probably have a run-away and who knows after that. If it were a nuke plant, you would be looking at a China Syndrome.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah I seen that after posting..... seems like the only way we can do that kind of cleaning is with a fuel filter change. Fill the new filter with seafoam, prime it to remove air, start the engine run it for 2 minutes shut off let the seafoam soak in the fuel system 5 minutes or so then restart and drive like five miles aggressively.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

For cleaning the intake, some of the ford, chevy and dodge dealers have recently purchased a m achine that will clean your entire intake all the way to the exhaust. Not sure how it works but it does work. The guy who told me about it said he has his ford diesel cleaned at the dealer for 350 bucks. It took 3 hours, smoke was pouring out his exhaust while they did it and once done there was a pile of ash a foot tall under his tailppipe and when he left he said his truck ran like it was brand new again.
I imagine the same procedure can be done with any diesel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:44 pm 

^This is a bad idea. Mechanics used to do this type of cleaning but most have stopped due to damaged engines. You can actually clog up the valves from the gunk because of close piston tollerances, plus, you wouldn't want all that crap going through the turbo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:58 pm 
LOST Addict

yeah I would say to be carefull with that. I am told never ever put any cumbustable liquid directly into the intake of a diesel engine it can over speed or cause a runaway condition. THis could cause severe damage to the engine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:03 pm 

mikey1273 wrote:
yeah I would say to be carefull with that. I am told never ever put any cumbustable liquid directly into the intake of a diesel engine it can over speed or cause a runaway condition. THis could cause severe damage to the engine.

I'm with you. :BINGO:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

BVCRD wrote:
^This is a bad idea. Mechanics used to do this type of cleaning but most have stopped due to damaged engines. You can actually clog up the valves from the gunk because of close piston tollerances, plus, you wouldn't want all that crap going through the turbo.

This is brand new technowlogy, less than a year old in fact. Mechanics NEVER used to do this. It involves use of a machine that they pay $100k for, they do it at the dealers with 20,ooo dollar PSD engines, i don't think they would be doing this if it would harm the engine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:44 pm 

They have been doing it for years....decades. Read up. Just because you (they) can do something doesn't mean they should. Best scenario is to take off the intake and clean it that way, NOT on the engine. Even this way would be better, although I don't recommend it. I would bead blast it. You are saying intake but they way you describe it, it is cleaning up the combustion chamber on back. Gotta name of the machine?

http://cincitdi.com/intake-manifold-cle ... d-neck-way

Last edited by BVCRD on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:56 pm 
LOST Addict

I gues I am a skeptic sometimes. if its just a year old procedure then it needs to be more proven before I will take in a vehicle I owe the bank for. Seafoam my not be as radical of an atack on the dirt that may be in there but its been sold for many years and has stood the test of time in automotive and marine use.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:59 pm 

mikey1273 wrote:
I gues I am a skeptic sometimes. if its just a year old procedure then it needs to be more proven before I will take in a vehicle I owe the bank for. Seafoam my not be as radical of an atack on the dirt that may be in there but its been sold for many years and has stood the test of time in automotive and marine use.

Seafoam needs to be introduced with the fuel though, not directly into the intake. The intake manifold doesn't benefit from Seafoam, only the combustion chamber.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:08 pm 
LOST Addict

yeah that is correct for our engines. The ingectors and combustion chambers will get a good cleaning.
my next oil change is in a week or two and I'm doing it in the oil as a precleaner and in the fuel. when I chage the fuel filter next time I will fill that with seafoam.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:11 pm 

mikey1273 wrote:
yeah that is correct for our engines. The ingectors and combustion chambers will get a good cleaning.
my next oil change is in a week or two and I'm doing it in the oil as a precleaner and in the fuel. when I chage the fuel filter next time I will fill that with seafoam.

Good deal. Many years ago, we used to pour a can (back when they sold cans) of ATF fluid in the oil. It is high detergent and that would clean things up in about 30 minutes or so. Does the same thing. History repeats itself. I used to pour a 6oz coke bottle of water down the carb throat to steam clean the combustion chamber too. Can't do that anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:58 pm 
LOST Addict

[quote][This is brand new technowlogy, less than a year old in fact. Mechanics NEVER used to do this. It involves use of a machine that they pay $100k for, they do it at the dealers with 20,ooo dollar PSD engines, i don't think they would be doing this if it would harm the engine.
/quote]

The machine your talking about is/was made by Motorvac. I have personally seen them used. It is quite a machine. You run it with the engine off, then on. It uses high and low psi spikes to dislodge deposits and build up. The cleaning solution is very expensive. I used one on a students 6.5 GMC and he was really impressed with the results. They were around $3k last time I checked.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

onthehunt wrote:
Quote:
[This is brand new technowlogy, less than a year old in fact. Mechanics NEVER used to do this. It involves use of a machine that they pay $100k for, they do it at the dealers with 20,ooo dollar PSD engines, i don't think they would be doing this if it would harm the engine.
/quote]

The machine your talking about is/was made by Motorvac. I have personally seen them used. It is quite a machine. You run it with the engine off, then on. It uses high and low psi spikes to dislodge deposits and build up. The cleaning solution is very expensive. I used one on a students 6.5 GMC and he was really impressed with the results. They were around $3k last time I checked.

Thank you, 3k is alot less than what I was told - 100k - heck for that price a may get one for the shop! :pepper:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

" Diesel Tune IDT 4000

Complete Fuel System Service for Diesel Engines

Profitable Shop Service That Cleans Carbon From a Diesel Engine in Less Than An Hour
Greatly Reduces Turbo Lag and Restores Peak Pressure
Increases HP and Torque Throughout the RPM Range to Improve Fuel Leakage
Removes Carbon from the Combustion Chamber to Increase Injector and Glow Plug Life
Cleans Injector Pumps by Dissolving Harmful Deposits to Slowly Extend the Life of the Pump
System Will Service Cars or Trucks Up to 750 HP
Excellent Return on Investment; One Service per Day Will Pay for the Machine in a Few Months!

The DieselTune Detergent™ is specifically formulated to be used with the DieselTune System! "

" Slowly Extend the Life of the Pump" What the heck does that mean? :5SHOTS:

More information: http://www.motorvac.com/manuals/DieselTune_Manual.pdf

When would you have it done... 75K, 150K...225K? (or) 100K, 200K...?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:37 pm 

^ Yea, so? Not an intake cleaning at all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

BVCRD wrote:

Your such a tool...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:37 am 

CHenry wrote:
BVCRD wrote:

Your such a tool...

How's that? Who jerked your chain? We were talking about cleaning the intake at the time, then a post comes in about cleaning the combustion chamber like you first proposed in your confused state. DW cautioned you about your name calling. I will do the same. Have a good day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next