It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rough idle...
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I drove about 160 miles today got to my destination and realized my Jeep was idling really rough. Runs out fine, got lots of power, and no unusual smoke on acceleration. I did get fuel at a place I don't typically but I put some diesel clean in with it. last fuel filter was about 6000 miles ago... Any ideas before I start back home

Post subject: Re: Rough idle...
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'd consider the 'usuals' - starting with the fuel filter. Check the air but I think you'd have more smoke and less power.

Barring something else obvious, perhaps a bit of junk made it to an injector.

How many miles on the engine?

Mark

littlebiggin wrote:
I drove about 160 miles today got to my destination and realized my Jeep was idling really rough. Runs out fine, got lots of power, and no unusual smoke on acceleration. I did get fuel at a place I don't typically but I put some diesel clean in with it. last fuel filter was about 6000 miles ago... Any ideas before I start back home

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just rolled over 97xxx guess ill get another filter tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well since i live in a little town in Arkansas, no one has my filter =(. So it will be Tuesday before they will get one in stock. On a positive note I got right at 30 miles to the gallon on my little trip YAY! :BANANA:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:42 am 
LOST Member

Not a filter if it runs fine under load. Do you have a lift pump? If not you may be getting air contamination from your filter housing.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:23 am 
LOST Newbie

No lift pump. How much is this gonna cost me? Is there anyway to diagnose air contamination? I'm still learning about all of this stuff lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

See Sir Sam's NOOB guide for how to bleed the fuel filter head. Follow those instructions (FYI I like to use a bit of clear vinyl hose to route the bleed into a small plastic catch jar instead of paper towels). If this solves your problem keep on Jeeping. If the problem happens again soon rebleed. If you get more air and you have a 1s gen fuel filter head replace the head and the fuel heater wiring pigtail (ca. $125). If that solves your problem (it did mine)....

If not see my post at the end of viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66969 . Replacing the quick disconnect fittings costs like $10 but IIRC involves dropping fuel tank. Adding an inline fuel pump cost depends on the type of pump you select (Facet runs $50 vs. Kennedy $200 plus some hose/clamps and an extra inline filter). I cannot advise on the cost of an intank pump but it's probably close to the Kennedy cost.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

I will try bleeding it when I get off work and I will post back my results later tonight.. Thanks for replying with all this great information!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok so I got home and bled it as I was supposed to. I had a few little spurts of air but then it was a stream and did that a few times. Cranked it up and it is still running the same. So I'm lost.. I'm gonna try the new filter Tuesday and see if that changes anything.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:08 am 
LOST Member

Try this. Go to a hardware store and buy 1ft. of 3/8" heavy wall clear vinyl tubing, 2 white nylon hose barb couplers (hose barb on both ends) and 4 small hose clamps. Unhook the inlet hose from the fuel filter head (passenger side of head) and install the vinyl tubing on the inlet barb on the head tighten down with a hose clamp. Now you may need an adjustable wrench to loosten the banjo bolt on the inlet to adjust the angle of the inlet hose but cut enough of the vinyl tubing to be able to slip on the nylon hose barb coupler and have about 1-1.5 inches of extra tubing to make you a "window" of the fuel entering your filter head then slip on the factory rubber hose over the other end of the nylon hose barb coupler and secure with hose clamps. Now do the same for the outlet hose. This will show you if your getting air contamination in your filter head.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:50 am 
LOST Newbie

I will most definitely try that and thank you for the tip! So I pulled out of the driveway and gave her a fair amount of fuel and felt a instant loss of power. After getting it back to the house I started inspecting to find that I have a split in my intercooler outlet hose. So I will have to order a OEM replacement hose as I can't afford that SAMCO kit right now :banghead: Im very new to turbocharged vehicles and diesels. With that being said, I wouldn't think this would be related to my rough idle problem but could it be the cause of the rough idle?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:23 pm 
LOST Member

It could certainly make your idle rough or at least add to it. The OEM replacement hoses are silicone like the Samco's only not as pretty. That's what I have on mine. Be sure to replace both if you can afford it. If one bursts the other one is not far behind it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

New filter is on and bled properly and it is still idling like crap. So my new hose will be in tomorrow it is parked until then.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok... So here is the latest on my jeep... Intercooler outlet hose came in today and I put it on. Started the jeep up, which still had a rough idle, and started toward town. I instantly heard that I was losing boost somewhere, so I stopped to investigate. I am now losing boost from the driver side of my CAC. So just for some extra input I stopped at a diesel shop between my house and town. He came out and said that I definitely need a new CAC and that he was concerned about my engine. I asked him why? And he replied that I had a dead cylinder. He took off my oil cap and pulled my dip stick and both had white smoke coming out of them. He said there was an excessive amouth of blow by and that he thought I would need a new engine. I actually have an oily mist that sprays from my intercooler when the turbo spoils. I am super lost would appreciate any advice/input/knowledge.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Perhaps he has a boat payment due. Are you using the terms CAC and intercooler to refer to the same thing. If you have an intercooler leak, oil spray, you need a new intercooler although if the leak is not too big and is accessible you might could do Sir Sam's JB weld repair.

Dead cylinder on a diesel? If the cylinder has compression and gets fuel at the right time it will fire. So I wonder about a leaky injector or one in need of service. I also note that you are right near timing belt replacement time. It's not impossible that you have jumped time but right now it doesn't sound like it; just wanted to get that horrible thought out there.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

At 94xxx miles my brother and I replaced the leaky water pump and while we were that deep we did the timing belt. The Jeep has ran fine since that and i now have 97xxx miles. When i first got the jeep i had a leaky injector so we replace all the o-rings and copper washers that was at 91xxx miles. All the mechanics that i have spoke with seem concerned about the "excessive" blowby and the white smoke that comes from the oil fill cap when it is removed. Is the white smoke normal from the oil fill cap? I am going to try to pinpoint the cylinder that is missing, take the injector out, and inspect the cylinder and piston with a borascope. Might also try to remove the intercooler tomorrow and take a gander at it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:27 am 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
Perhaps he has a boat payment due.
:ROTFL:
That's kinda what I was thinking! First off If you haven't done the ORM and EHM you need to like right now! A stuck EGR valve could prevent crankcase ventilation. I have had blowby through my EH for like 40K now which is as long as I've had it installed and it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the motor. If your using M1 0W-40 oil your blowby will be more because the thinner oil allows it. Also someone on here recommended you replace both CAC hoses. Also have you installed the clear vinyl tubing I recommended yet to verify whether your fuel filter housing is not sucking air? Why are you asking others for advice if your not going to use it?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:58 am 
LOST Newbie

I have the ORM done and plan on doing the EHM once I get things lined out. And no I have not done the vinyl hose test yet. Everytime i bleed the system I almost no air out. I would love to just go out and get all this stuff and slap it on my jeep, but I am working a very tight budget, as most people are these days, and can't afford it. I inspected the other CAC hose it appears to be fine as of right now. Also patched up the intercooler to get me by. When we unplugged injector #4 (closest to the firewall) there was no change in my idle. With the injector unplugged, of course when giving it fuel it missed, but when it was plugged in it only seems to miss at an idle. I am going to swap the injector around tomorrow and see if it is the injector. Sorry if anyone thinks I am ignoring their advice. I am trying to diagnose and rule as many things out as possible before I just start ordering and replacing.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just a reminder that injectors can be cleaned and serviced by a good injector shop as opposed to replacing. Also I could be wrong but IIRC there are injector codes that have to be put into the ECU for things to run right, how that plays out with respect to swapping current injector location I don't have a clue.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

So we switched injectors and the miss followed the injector. Who has had their injectors serviced and by who? Cost?