It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vacuum (Whoosh) Under Driver Side Dash in my CRD
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

2005 2.8 CRD with 104K miles. In park or nuetral, can rev and everything is normal. Place tansmission in drive and begin to go down the road and as soon as rpms come up and there is slight load on engine a loud air swooshing sound comes from under the drivers side of the dash. When backing off on throttle, the noise dissipates (like vacuum leak). Sounds just like a separate blower motor. Engine & trubo sounds normal and does not seem to have lost power, but there is deteriation in speed accleration at highway speeds. Almost like transmission is not using the power that is available? Is there a vacuum connection under the dash that goes to the tranny? I have read the posts about the turbo hoses, but this "seems" to be on inside side of the firewall. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Vacuum (Whoosh) Under Driver Side Dash in my CRD
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Your intercooler hose is busted. Time for new ones. Just did this a few weeks ago.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:01 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
x2.

It has blown a hole in the bottom of the hose at the final bend closest to the engine-end of the hose. It cannot be seen without removal of the hose.

Until you can get a new hose (get the Samcos or the upgraded dealer hose) get a couple rolls of the Stretch-and-Seal silicone tape from Home Depot in the plumbing section. Clean that hose WELL with foaming engine cleaner spray, and brake cleaner to get all the oil out of it and off of it. Remove and save the chinese finger puzzle. Stretch the tape at least 50% longer than the section in your fingers, and overlap it 50% on each wrap. It will seal TIGHT and cure up very quickly. It only sticks to itself, but it is a SOLID seal once it bonds.

That should set you up for a while until the new hoses arrive. You should do both, the hose at the turbo-to-intercooler will be just as trashed. Also, do an EHM to prevent any further damage. If you run the EHM forward and down in front of the radiator, you won't even know it is there, but your engine will be much happier. A standard wine cork (synthetic) plugs the tube perfectly.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Make sure you use the wine cork to plug the CCV-to-intake hose, NOT the EHM hose!!

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:50 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Doh! Yea, I guess that could be a problem to decide... After solving the question of where to put the wine after you've got the cork out. *hic*

Plug the little black hose that leads to the turbo, NOT the EHM line. :SOMBRERO:

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:25 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok - that helps - Thanks! I need some clarification. I am going to get the tape so I can keep driving it until I get the hose.

- I have drove it a bit already to and from work in winter - is that bad?
- So my intercooler-to-turbo hose is blown, but I should also tape and replace the turbo-to-the intercooler hose as well - right?
- How much stuff has to come off to get to this thing and do the job?
- All recalls done. Am running in ORM mode since 50K. I clean MAP regulary and use cetane regularly. Am not running Provent (I know...). Haven't had any problems until now. What and where is this CCV-to-intake hose you recommend plugging with a wine cork??
- And what is EHM?

Sorry for the questions - Thanks for the help! I'll order hose(s) once I hear back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mbutch wrote:
Ok - that helps - Thanks! I need some clarification. I am going to get the tape so I can keep driving it until I get the hose.

- I have drove it a bit already to and from work in winter - is that bad? Not really
- So my intercooler-to-turbo hose is blown, but I should also tape and replace the turbo-to-the intercooler hose as well - right? You need to replace both your CAC hoses - turbo to intercooler, intercooler to engine block - with Samcos or new factory hoses. The first hose runs just to the passenger side of your engine block, back to front. It should be black, about 3" in diameter, with a mesh protectant netting, and soaked in oil. The second is on the exact opposite side, though it runs down from the intercooler, not up. It's a little bit wider, but otherwise the same. Look at the appropriate hoses on the Samco website, that is what you are looking for.
- How much stuff has to come off to get to this thing and do the job? Just a couple of worm clamps. It's a 10-20 minute job to replace both.
- All recalls done. Am running in ORM mode since 50K. I clean MAP regulary and use cetane regularly. Am not running Provent (I know...). Haven't had any problems until now. What and where is this CCV-to-intake hose you recommend plugging with a wine cork?? The CCV is in the back left of the engine block itself. Looks like a flying saucer, but all black. It will have a hose running out the front of it and down to the turbo. This hose is used for either the EHM or a Provent.
- And what is EHM?EHM stands for Elephant Hose Mod. It is when you drop the CCV hose down into a container to collect the oil vapors that run through the CCV and back into your engine. Others (myself included) prefer a Mann-Hummell Provent or a DIY Provent, which filters out the oil without the potential of smoking and dripping on your driveway. It's also legal and eco-friendly.

Sorry for the questions - Thanks for the help! I'll order hose(s) once I hear back.

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey - the members of this LOST KJ Forum are awesome. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The driver side CAC hose was split (about an inch) at the place it connects up at the inner cooler - clear up by the radiator! I can't believe how convinced I was that the noise was coming from under the dash. Vhat a Vooosh - Eh!! I have even had that hose off before to clean oil out of it and clean the air mixture valve. I taped up bad hose and new ones come in tomorrow. They are not hard to get to so will replace them tomorrow night. The small town dealer wanted $313 for both hoses and the city dealership wanted $370 - but I got city dealer to price match and I have to drive into city tomorrow anyway. I guess my next thing will be the wine cork and provent or EHM. I was holding out as there was a lot of experimenting going on a year ago or so. Then - start reading about if I really need a timing belt now and what will that cost... I don't think I would hang on to my Jeep if it wasn't for this resource - thanks again for your help!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you can wait a few days (and your patch is holding), moparpartsamerica can sell you the pair for about $190 (pre-shipping). That's where I got mine (engine-side only was 77 bucks).

Recent related topic with part numbers:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49862

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is a link on doing the EHM to avoid this problem in the future: viewtopic.php?f=98&t=22703

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:24 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the link. Looks easy enough. Will do EHM this weekend.