It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hot engine hiccups when accelerating
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2005 KJ Renegade 2.8 CRD with 109000kms on the clock. My problem: When the engine is running hot (specially after sitting in traffic jams), and I get to accelerate on open road (simple steady acceleration), the engine will give a 1/2 second hiccup (only way I can describe it), it's as if it's trying to change down from Drive to 2nd or 1st gear. Very scary, as it is as if the vehicle wants to stop, but doesn't. It will hiccup violently for about 1/2 sec and then continue. If it is running really hot, it may do this another few times, always and only when accelerating. It never shows this symptom when cold. At first, I used to be worried to see the water temp running close to the red line after being stuck in traffic, but the fan kicks in and the water levels are fine. The 'hiccup' issue is very worrying. Desperate for advice/suggestions.

PS. This is my 4th Jeep previously owned Grand Cherokees, with not a single problem. This is my 1st diesel and I have had lots of niggly issues. (Recently replaced both inlet and outlet turbo hoses (of course, they blew in the middle of nowhere, within a month of each other, on two separate out of town trips). Didn't know some rubber hoses would be so darn expensive to replace!

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Hot engine hiccups when accelerating
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:18 pm 
LOST Member

See my Liberty does that too, Im not sure if it has anything to do with it running hot, but sometimes I will be driving down the road and it will seem like I take my foot off the gas for like a 1/2 second, then it will continue going. Its like you explained as a hickup. It just feels like it skips something while its traveling at a steady speed. Very strange. :?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:28 pm 

Moving this to the correct Section. CRD guys should be able to help you.

Jeep Tech Files

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Howdy jeepaddict welcome to LOST

most hiccup/ stutters are traced to an air in fuel or fuel filter problem - check the fuel head and see if the heater plug is leaking fuel out - if fuel comes out - the air will go in -(it's supposed to be a vacuum from the tank to the engine)

the other thing is how old's the fuel filter? - these things typically need a change ~20K miles - but that's highly variable with the quality of the fuel it can go bad on one tank of bad - or last 40K with good stuff.

also check tranny fluid level hot - that can also cause some weird behavior.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had something like that not long ago. The darn think hesitated like mad. It was also doing it at 1500rpm on the 2nd or 3rd gear. Then it started almost stalling when cold the first time I would brake. I really started getting worried then I got a CEL. Turned out it was the FCV. 2 teeth were broken on one of the 2 gears inside the actuator, keeping it from moving. Another symptom is that the truck really shake when you turn it off instead of shutting off smoothly. I changed the FCV and everything came back to normal.

2006 CRD KJ, 245/70R16 A/T KO, GDE eco tune, ARB bull bar, OME lift, AVIC-N4, turbo timer, pulsetech solargizer, Racor CCV3500, Racor 245R122 fuel head, Caterpillar battery, oem light bar, KC lights, HID fog lts, cb, ...