It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Samco or OEM CAC Hose
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Which CAC hoses would you recomend, Samco or OEM?

Post subject: Re: Samco or OEM CAC Hose
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Samco.... They are higher grade.

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:31 pm 
LOST Addict

I went OEM. A) Too many horror stories about Samcos swelling under pressure, leading to irregular flow. And too many stories of them being a tight fit and rubbing on things. B) OEM hoses are now better quality than what came on the Jeep originially. C) OEM hoses void no warranty you may still have intact.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 pm 
LOST Addict

LibertyCRD wrote:
I went OEM. A) Too many horror stories about Samcos swelling under pressure, leading to irregular flow. And too many stories of them being a tight fit and rubbing on things. B) OEM hoses are now better quality than what came on the Jeep originially. C) OEM hoses void no warranty you may still have intact.

Dude, no offense, but your the only one I see talking about the hoses swelling. All the talk I have seen about hoses swelling is just that, talk. Then to top it off you add in the words "horror stories" here, which to the poor un-initiated reader will stick in their mind. Now I may be wrong here, but I can't think of a single post where someone showed a hose swelling. I watched(with a loaded, spooled engine) and I cannot see evidence of swelling, I'm willing to admit its possible, but from day one with the prototype hoses I haven't been able to find it.

Second, irregular flow. C'mon really? This was brought up in the past and put to rest, as I recall we even linked to an outside source who had done the math(for a different vehicle and a different application, but still a good case study), where it showed that changes in hose volume due to swelling under pressure caused very little change in mass flow rate. Even then, it won't affect m_dot overall but rather initial mass flow in the 0.1 seconds of boost.

B)
How many people still under factory warrantee are questioning purchasing the Samco's? In my mind either you got the hoses replaced with your warrantee, or you believe that buying the Samco hoses will not void your remaining warrantee on other parts. Has anyone ever posted here that the dealer denied warrantee replacement on something else because the Samco's were installed?

Sorry if I sound like a Jackass, I don't mean to, but I feel as if you are bringing up mostly opinion and less facts about the Samco hoses.

racertracer:
The main thing to look at these days is cost, when the Samco's first came out the OEM hoses were total junk, they since have been replaced with a better OEM product that seems to hold up to oil exposure. So now you mostly need to look at the cost of the Samco set, versus the OEM set. IF you need only one hose, it makes for a good OEM argument. If you need/want both, then the Samco's become a more attractive option.

Also, if your the type who is otherwise going to leave the CRD like stock, as in running with your EGR(no ORM), and run without an elephant hose, your going to build up more oil residue, in that case I would say that running the Samco's will give you longer life, if you run without the EGR, and with a Elephant hose, then you will see much less oil, I cannot believe how clean my intake has stayed now that I have been running the ORM for 50k miles.

The only other thing to consider is how long you plan to own the vehicle, if you are thinking of owning it a while, (in excess of a year I'd say), then it would make for a stronger argument for the Samco's.

To be fair for the OEM argument, I know of ONE samco failure, Samco and the vendor were both very responsive and the person was able to get the hoses warranteed. Samco was very interested in getting the failed hose back because they wanted to see the failure and learn how it happened to improve the product. In all my communication with Samco they were responsive and interested in developing the best product possible, if we ever had any ways to improve the production I have no doubt Samco would implement it on future hoses.

That being said, almost 50k miles on the Samco's without issue.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Samco it is.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

35k on my Samco hoses with no issues.

'01 Beetle TDi B100, EGR delete
'83 Mercedes 240D B100, no EGR

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:06 pm 
Oilburner
Oilburner

I think this makes a nice sticky.

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Dude, seriously? Every thread I read about Samcos talked about them swelling under boost. Plus, I read threads about them failing. Whereas....the updated Mopar hoses have never failed on anyone I know of. I'm just saying...everytime this question comes up, people are instantly like "SAMCO!". Why? The only reason I can think of is if you want a color other than black. LOL.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For me, when I blow a hose, it will be Samco's, Silicone is superior to rubber. Since this is a sticky, how bout some one posts some links where to buy Samco's?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This is where I bought mine. http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=328

Currently $247.64 - not a bad price, comparable to the cost of OEM replacements.

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

linewarbr wrote:
This is where I bought mine. http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=328

Currently $247.64 - not a bad price, comparable to the cost of OEM replacements.

Just replaced mine with oem. boostcontroller says they are not taking orders due to illness. the only other place to get the samcos cheaper than oem was out of the UK and they said allow 4 weeks for delivery. Not an option. Got 86,000 out of the first oem set. after the eco tune and ehm mod these should last at least that long(I hope anyway)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I was forced to select OEM due to failure. Wanted SAMCO. One dealer charged 50% more for the same part so i drove 60 mi RT and got the cheaper one. OEM is NOT the stock hose that came on the machine. Much more rigid and reinforced where mine failed. I don't know well enough to argue about which one is better. I do know that OEM replacement, from a Jeep parts shelf, is not the same hose I bought new off the lot.

Scott

GDE EcoTune w/ unl torque
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor Tires
over 192,000+ miles
100k mile service performed
5V Glow Plugs Installed and ECM updated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:10 am 
LOST Addict

LibertyCRD wrote:
Dude, seriously? Every thread I read about Samcos talked about them swelling under boost. Plus, I read threads about them failing. Whereas....the updated Mopar hoses have never failed on anyone I know of. I'm just saying...everytime this question comes up, people are instantly like "SAMCO!". Why? The only reason I can think of is if you want a color other than black. LOL.

Ya and in every thread were you see people talking about them swelling it's comments like you originally made "...Too many horror stories about Samcos swelling under pressure..." When people just keep repeating the same thing over and over again, even when its not true, you see the comments a lot and begin to believe them.

I can tell you one thing for sure, the Samco's are much more rigid than OEM, so any swelling that you might see will be worse in the OEM.

The threads you read about them failing are also based on ONE incident, then people keep posting about them failing, so you see lots of posts about them failing, when really you are just seeing lots of posts about seeing lots of posts about seeing lots of posts of them failing.

Get it? I'm gonna start a new post in every samco thread about how they smell like fried chicken when installed on the jeep, and then I'm going to post that again, and then someone else will talk about how they smell like fried chicken. Next thing you know 6 months from now people will be posting about how samco's smell like fried chicken and how can it not be true since its what everyone talks about and you see tons of posts on it.

Argue the merits of buying them over OEM, I'll give you that they are not right for everyone and there is some extra cost to the Samco, but for the love of gawd can you please stop disseminating false information which clouds the water?

And for the record, AGAIN, there was ONE case of a Samco failure, which was quickly resolved from the vendor under warrantee.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:51 am 
LOST Member

Sir Sam wrote:
LibertyCRD wrote:

I'm gonna start a new post in every samco thread about how they smell like fried chicken when installed on the jeep, and then I'm going to post that again, and then someone else will talk about how they smell like fried chicken. Next thing you know 6 months from now people will be posting about how samco's smell like fried chicken and how can it not be true since its what everyone talks about and you see tons of posts on it

Well, I've already heard about the smell of fried chicken. . . but do they taste like chicken? That's the real question.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:15 am 
LOST Addict

TJ2 wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
LibertyCRD wrote:

I'm gonna start a new post in every samco thread about how they smell like fried chicken when installed on the jeep, and then I'm going to post that again, and then someone else will talk about how they smell like fried chicken. Next thing you know 6 months from now people will be posting about how samco's smell like fried chicken and how can it not be true since its what everyone talks about and you see tons of posts on it

Well, I've already heard about the smell of fried chicken. . . but do they taste like chicken? That's the real question.

Original or Extra Crispy?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 am 
LOST Addict

We are running Samco hoses on our KJ with the new turbo kit. These hoses are very strong, but they do have a slightly larger diameter than the OEM hose from the turbo to the CAC. From the CAC to engine intake the Samco and OEM are roughly the same diameter. Both hoses (Samco and OEM) will swell slightly at high boost and both have internal cord wrapping to keep the swelling to a minimum. The only issue we noticed with the Samco hose is there are no alignment marks for positioning. The CAC inlet and turbo outlet have a notch to align the hose with. When we first installed the Samco it was rubbing against the air pressure sensor on the aibox, this was fixed by rotating the hose inboard slightly, then retightening the clamp.

The Samcos will not bleed oil and the new OEM hose from turbo to CAC supposedly has a silicon lining to prevent oil bleeding, however the OEM hose from CAC to engine does not look like is has been updated with a silicon lining, so this one may still fail long term.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:28 pm 
Oilburner
Oilburner

We are not saying you must buy Samco boost hoses.

If you want OEM ones or think they are just as good go for it.

Sam did a lot of work on the R&D of these hoses (as did Jimmyjeep and I for the export CRD's). So in other words, Sam knows what he is talking about!

Can't say anything about your US hoses but for the older export 2.5/2.8 the OEM ones were plain crap. And they were over $350 a set. Needless to say I am very happy with my Samco's.

Here's some pics...

and you do see the '05+ hoses on Ebay every now and then.

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had a terrible experience from Turbo Wholesale when I tried to get my Samco's from them. Let's just say it was a good thing I didn't have a busted hose at the time I ordered. When I placed the order online, they indicated that they had the hoses in stock - 3 day delivery - which is why I ordered them from them to begin with.

2 days later I get an email from someone from a different company, (there is a whole conglomeration of internet "companies" under one umbrella that they are a part of) saying the hoses were on backorder, and it would be 2 weeks before I got them. Since they were cheaper there, I said ok, I would wait. 10 days later, I get an email saying it would be another 2 to 4 weeks before they could get the hoses to me. At that point, I got fired up, demanded my money back, yada yada, and ordered from Boost Controller - and received my bright blue Samcos three days later.

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:03 pm 
LOST Member

Did anyone order the hose clamps with the hoses? If so which ones did you go with? Or did you just stick with factory?
Out of curiosity, has anyone gone with a color other then BLUE?

Skid Row Engine and Fuel Tank Skid Plates, straight pipe, modified air box, Tow Hooks, 245/70/16 Hankook ATM RF10s, Kennedy Lift Pump,Home Made Provent, Husky Liners throughout, Wet Okole seat covers, All J Products Rear Storage Shelf, Fumoto, Frozen Rotors-Cross Drilled and Slotted, and Bilsteins all around

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

NJCRD wrote:
Did anyone order the hose clamps with the hoses? If so which ones did you go with? Or did you just stick with factory?
Out of curiosity, has anyone gone with a color other then BLUE?

I got the hose clamps. IIRC they are a little bit wider than the stock ones.

I also went with red hoses... Cause my CRD is red. Nothing special.

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next