It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: MAP Sensor cleaning issues...BE VERY CAREFUL!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

I cleaned mine carefully with a toothbrush and dunk degreaser which washes off with water, then blew it dry with compressed air. no issues.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I cleaned mine with brake parts cleaner and nothing else. No issues.

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:22 am 
LOST Junkie

I clean mine with paint thinner and a Q-tip...let dry completely.....no issues either.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:33 am 
LOST Member

I used MAF sensor cleaner without any issues.

2006 Limited CRD 4x4 Inferno Red, GDE ECO tune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:34 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I'm a BIG fan of just chlorine-free brake part cleaner spray. Used that without any problems to clean both the MAP and MAF (although I think the MAF was already damaged by the coating of oily dust it somehow got)

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

I cleaned mine with a soft toothbrush (paintbrush might be a better idea) in my parts washer.
So that is Varsol and finished with brake cleaner. I believe I didn't remove the o-ring before.

No problems.

So I guess the problems are mostly happening after GDE tunes?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Squeeto wrote:
I cleaned mine with a soft toothbrush (paintbrush might be a better idea) in my parts washer.
So that is Varsol and finished with brake cleaner. I believe I didn't remove the o-ring before.

No problems.

So I guess the problems are mostly happening after GDE tunes?

That's funny, I have 2 tuned with GDE, and no problems. Maybe because I know the Map sensor is just a thermistor and don't require all that much attention, and a little oil and soot is not going to hurt it. But when you start getting anal and removing it on a regular bases, you can break it very easily. So do you have a tune in your Jeep of some other sort, or does it still run the same crappy way it did from the factory?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 am 
LOST Junkie

Quote:
So do you have a tune in your Jeep of some other sort, or does it still run the same crappy way it did from the factory?

:shock: Hey, not my thread! GDE says the problem stems from cleaning.
I just asked if the problem was for those cleaning their MAP sensor only after being GDEized.
See post Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:39 am.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Squeeto wrote:
Quote:
So do you have a tune in your Jeep of some other sort, or does it still run the same crappy way it did from the factory?

I just asked if the problem was for those cleaning their MAP sensor only after being GDEized.

Maybe it is just me, but I thought you took a few cheap shots at GDE in other posts. If you got the tune and it screwed up your MAP, and you never touched it, I would say it is well justified that you report this defect. As for me, I have 2 GDE Hot tunes, and I at one time had and ECO tune, and they have not caused me any problems.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I do have my EGR cover and no exust come in from the engine, by doing this the maf sensor do not need cleaning. If the gde disable the EGR, maf do not need cleaning.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

flman wrote:
Squeeto wrote:
Quote:

Maybe it is just me, but I thought you took a few cheap shots at GDE in other posts. If you got the tune and it screwed up your MAP, and you never touched it, I would say it is well justified that you report this defect. As for me, I have 2 GDE Hot tunes, and I at one time had and ECO tune, and they have not caused me any problems.

I was thinking bulls**t because I don't grudge GDE anything but thought I would check my past posts anyway.

Ok, I haven't thrown any shots but I have stated a preference to having a tool where I can do the work myself without having to ship the ecu (especially from Canada). I also worried that GDE's tune is off-road only and if they are forced to change this, and you visit the dealer and lose your flash, you are never getting it back.

Both threads invited opinions and both my points are valid. But of course, I too am searching for a better truck and if this is a flaw with a product that I am interested in, I want to know.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you have the GDE tune, and the dealer wipes it, GDE will reinstall the tune at no additional cost. Just pay shipping.

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

linewarbr wrote:
If you have the GDE tune, and the dealer wipes it, GDE will reinstall the tune at no additional cost. Just pay shipping.

Just saying if they were forced to remove the egr disabling part of the tune. I would guess that if the US Environmental Protection Agency were to send a letter to GDE to stop disabling a federally mandated emissions device, they would probably comply.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hopefully Squeeto will delete his last post? That is why I did not quote it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Squeeto wrote:
linewarbr wrote:

Just saying if they were forced to remove the egr disabling part of the tune. I would guess that if the US Environmental Protection Agency were to send a letter to GDE to stop disabling a federally mandated emissions device, they would probably comply.

If you read their website closely, they specify that their tune is for "off-road use only." Therefore, they are not liable at that point if their customers use the tune on-road - it is the customer's liability.

In the US, if the EPA were to go after them for their tune, then they would have to go after every company that offers aftermarket tuning for cars/ trucks. If that happens, there will be a general uprising (led mainly by NASCAR fans using baseball bats layered over with Busch and Natural Light cans) leading to general disarray, anarchy, and the importation of European diesels willy-nilly and a return to 500 ppm diesel fuel. I don't know how it is in Canada, but here our government fears us, rather than us fearing our government. That is the foundation of our nation - freedom from tyranny.

Squeeto, I am a skeptic myself, so I understand where you are coming from. Because there are some on this board that sing the praises of GDE and seem to get defensive if the efficacy of the tune is questioned, it is easy to see it as the proverbial snake oil. But the tune is for real - there is a noticeable difference between a GDE-tuned vehicle and a stocker. However, the vehicle owner is liable for any defeat of emission controls on his/ her vehicle, so they would not be forced to remove that from their tuning - the owner would be forced to remove the tune from their vehicle.

And for the record, I have not had the P0069 DTC appear since getting the tune.

Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:21 pm 
LOST Addict

[quote][/Maybe because I know the Map sensor is just a thermistor and don't require all that much attention, and a little oil and soot is not going to hurt it. But when you start getting anal and removing it on a regular bases, you can break it very easily.quote]

I said the same thing a couple of years ago when everyone started pulling these and cleaning them. If you have a code,you have a problem. If you don't have the code, the sensor is working. To each their own I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

Linewarbr
First, thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
they specify that their tune is for "off-road use only."

Yes. I did mention this a couple of posts back but I didn't know if this removed their liability because the customer can't easily remove it.

Quote:
I don't know how it is in Canada, but here our government fears us, rather than us fearing our government.

Canada, in my opinion, is probably more likely to comply.

Quote:
some on this board that sing the praises of GDE and seem to get defensive if the efficacy of the tune is questioned

I have read many posts from GDE on many subjects and they seem very knowledgable and seem to care about the Lib CRD. The tune also seems proven.

Flman
Until your last post I didn't understand the root cause of your objection to my statements.
Is this what you are saying?-
By bringing up these previously mentioned concerns, it may do damage to the tune:
1. GDE may consider removing that one aspect of the tune
2. the tune is loved, don't bring attention to the previously mentioned concern
3. it may scare off future customers

Really, there is no sarcasm here at all. We have a totally different mindset. I am a total boyscout when it comes to these issues (I hope this colloquialism is understood). If the 3 points above is your (and others) concern, I have no problem removing the information but this slope is a slippery one.

Once again I comply to the authority. Maybe the moderator would like to trim our statements from this thread. I leave that decision to a wiser man than I. My wish though is, if information is removed, remove all of our discussion.

I still think that my points are valid but in the future, I will refrain from posting concerns where there are shades of gray.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Squeeto, maybe you just over analyse things too much? I don't worry about tomorrow until it comes. I did not know you were from Canada, so the tune and such may not be as convenient if the dealer flashes over it. I highly doubt the tune is destroying Map sensors, what is to prevent the replacement from being ruined by the tune? And like Linewbr says, the tune is off road only, so that is the end of that.

No hard feelings, take care. Bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

I do believe that the egr with CCV gas forced into the turbo is the first thing everyone should address. This is important; the byproduct muck is far too damaging.

We are on the same page on this but some may follow a different path. Peace.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That's what I'm talking about! I've seen too many miscommunications erupt into flame wars here lately; it's nice to see two gentlemen - and scholars - work it out.

And Squeeto, I agree about how helpful GDE have been on this board - that is why, if they and a competitor both offer a similar product, I will choose them. I only know of one individual (gmctd) that knows the CRD as well as they do, and he is currently held up in the Australian Outback by a snorkel install gone awry. I'd also rate Mr. Mopar64 and danoid right up there with them from an engineering standpoint, but they have literally torn these things down to bare bolts and put them back together. They are enthusiasts, as are we.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next