It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Evic add-on problem!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I just installed an evic from a 2004 p/n 56010438AC in my 2006 CRD. Everything seems to work great except one thing. The temperature displayed is 29F and it won't move. I removed the sensor and it shows around 10k ohms. I put my finger on it and it went slowly down. I let it go to 9k ohms. It seems to be ok. Is there some kind of cycle needed or somebody knows where the problem is? It doesn't show bars or anything, just the wrong temperature. I ran a self diagnostic on the evic and it displayed " passed test". Any ideas?

2006 CRD KJ, 245/70R16 A/T KO, GDE eco tune, ARB bull bar, OME lift, AVIC-N4, turbo timer, pulsetech solargizer, Racor CCV3500, Racor 245R122 fuel head, Caterpillar battery, oem light bar, KC lights, HID fog lts, cb, ...

Post subject: Re: Evic add-on problem!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:17 pm 
LOST Addict

IIRC thats exactly what happens when you use a EVIC from an 04' KJ. IIRC you need to use a 2005+ KJ EVIC.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:41 am 
LOST Newbie

The ambient temp sensor is hardwired to the PCM and it's the PCM that sends the temp message to the EVIC - this is according to the 2006 Factory Service Manual. (FSM)
If I had a copy of the 2004 FSM we could have a look at that to try and figure out if we can do some kind of work around.
I'm not sure what changed in 2005 on the EVIC but PCI protocol was used in the grand cherokee to 2004 and in the the liberty probably to 2007, again would need multiple FSM and do some digging plus a good code reader.
So jeep must have changed only the way the ambient sensor is being read...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:38 am 
LOST Addict

StanCRD wrote:
The ambient temp sensor is hardwired to the PCM and it's the PCM that sends the temp message to the EVIC - this is according to the 2006 Factory Service Manual. (FSM)
If I had a copy of the 2004 FSM we could have a look at that to try and figure out if we can do some kind of work around.
I'm not sure what changed in 2005 on the EVIC but PCI protocol was used in the grand cherokee to 2004 and in the the liberty probably to 2007, again would need multiple FSM and do some digging plus a good code reader.
So jeep must have changed only the way the ambient sensor is being read...

I do have both and have looked at them, the BCM changed and used different pins for the temp sensor(as well as a few other pin changes).

But more than that it seems like the BCM broadcasts the information on the PCI bus in a different manner.

The PCI bus was used on all WJ's and KJ's, so its not the fact that we have different buses causing the problems.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have an EVIC from a 2004 Liberty and the temp works fine. IIRC the problem with the temperature is with 02 and 03 EVICs and OTISs. The temp readout did stop changing properly once on a trip to Colorado, but resumed normal operation about a week later.
Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks everybody for the advises. I left everything alone last night after many attempts to fix the problem with no success. This morning, I just started my truck and the temperature was working fine. Kind of weird, but I think there's a communication that needs to be established. Next problem. I would like to add the tpms feature to my truck, anybody is using the sensors with the 2004 evic (training magnet) with steel wheels successfully? Also, do you need the sensor in the spare tire?

Thanks.

2006 CRD KJ, 245/70R16 A/T KO, GDE eco tune, ARB bull bar, OME lift, AVIC-N4, turbo timer, pulsetech solargizer, Racor CCV3500, Racor 245R122 fuel head, Caterpillar battery, oem light bar, KC lights, HID fog lts, cb, ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:03 am 
LOST Addict

Most already know this...but on Chryslers...the temp. display will not update until you have the vehicle powered up for a while. When I get in mine and leave work...it takes about 5 minutes before it will call for a new reading from the sensor and update the display. My wife used to always complain about this on her Commander too. She'd say "That thing is never right!" Truthfully, it was right...it's just that she was always looking at it the second she jumped in the Jeep and was not giving it time to update itself as a part of it's normal cycle.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

DON'T add the TPM!!!!
I have an '06 and I would give anything to get rid of the TPM system. Nothing, will shut off the light and I do not want to be spending money on a new "sending unit" for a tire.
Consider yourself lucky.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

e_poirier2004 wrote:
Thanks everybody for the advises. I left everything alone last night after many attempts to fix the problem with no success. This morning, I just started my truck and the temperature was working fine. Kind of weird, but I think there's a communication that needs to be established. Next problem. I would like to add the tpms feature to my truck, anybody is using the sensors with the 2004 evic (training magnet) with steel wheels successfully? Also, do you need the sensor in the spare tire?

Thanks.

I am using the TPMS system and enjoy it. Be careful about buying older tpms sensors because of the limited life of the battery in the device. I am not using steel wheels.
Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:03 pm 
LOST Addict

My EVIC is factory stock to my knowelege and my temprature is not always right as soon as you get in and start it. It seems to remember the last reading that was displayed before shutdown but always updates with in minutes.

I have no Issue with my TMPS either, it works just fine and has never been a hassle yet. It does ding at you every time I start the engine when I have aired down to go wheeling.

I get my tires at a little country good old boy type dealer too. They have replaced all five tires now with no problems. they even remaked today how the spare even was set up with a sensor. The system even locates the tires when they are rotated on its own, My friends 2008 Sileverado doesn't. the tire shop needs a special tool to reprogram it or you have to do this wicked crazy procedure in the Chevy owners manual. Jeep's Tire monitoring system is nicer in that way than Chevy's.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Necrophilia warning.

As my issue coincides pretty congruently with the op's I choose to dig :dead: up the thread

I have transplanted a 5601043AC into my 06CRD in place of the stock non-psi unit.

The temperature ​seems to track right, but my issue is with the tpms. When I installed it, there was an ongoing thing going on with the check tpms being triggered. I plugged this unit in and right away it showed two pressures 216/32 and 200/29 in front, and --'s in back as I halfway expected. After about 30 mins or so of driving it would ding and indicate bad sensor and the two would dry up.

Well after switching to my summer tires that have fresher sensors I realized that that ain't the right pressures. And since the bcm based system is happy with the sensors and has turned off the dash nag light but the evic is still whining about bad sensors and is showing them same two pressures despite having installed​ tires I know to be different..... I guess I have compatibility issues.... I thought the 04 would work based on the writing on the wall,

So if the bcm side is happy will the evic come around?
Is there a way to make it happy, or do I have to replace with 04 sensors?
Will that just irritate the bcm?

I thought that 04 was supposed to work.

Grrrrrrr

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited, CRD: Inferno Red. OME 2" lift, JBA 4.5 lift arms, Factory skids and tow hooks added. GDE ECOtune, Provent, Fumoto, AR TorqueThrust wheels
1999 Dodge Dakota Sport, 5.2L: Solar Yellow. SOLD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:28 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
FSM:
Quote:
CAUTION: Although 315 MHz and 434 MHz sensors are identical in size and shape, they are not interchangeable. Always make sure the correct sensor is being used. (This is not usually an issue unless the full system is not originally supplied with that particular VIN.)

The Domestic TPM system operates on a 315 MHz radio frequency. The 315 MHz sensors can be identified by a white outline oval (black center) insignia on the sensor body (back side by the antenna).

The Export TPM system operates on a 434 MHz radio frequency. The 434 MHz sensors can be identified by a solid white oval insignia on the body.

CAUTION: The use of tire sealants is strictly prohibited for vehicles equipped with the Tire Pressure Monitoring system. Tire sealants can clog tire pressure sensors.

CAUTION: Tire pressure sensor valve stem caps and cores are specially designed for the sensors. Due to risk of corrosion, do not use a standard valve stem cap or core in a tire pressure sensor in place of the original equipment style sensor cap and core.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to install a tire pressure sensor in an aftermarket wheel. Use tire pressure sensors in original style factory wheels only.

CAUTION: Any time a sensor is to be installed in a wheel, a new seal and washer must be installed on the stem to ensure air tight sealing.

NOTE: TPM thresholds have been established for the original tire size equipped on the vehicle. Use original size tires only to maintain system accuracy.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set