It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fan
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

I need the electric fan for my '05 CRD. Everything I have seen has been two wire and mine has a three wire connector. Does anyone know where I can get one and what is the third wire for??
Thanks

Pro-Drive boat and motor for duck hunting with the labs.

Post subject: Re: Fan
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you try bypassing the two fan relays in the power distribution center by the battery with a jumper wire? I had a bad relay that kept my fan from running. The ISO relays have illustrations showing which terminals are the contacts that you jumper and the coil you test with a test light. Also squeeze together the three wiring harness plugs near the TCM on the right front fender. One of mine popped loose and my AC and the electric fan would not work right until I squeezed it back together.
Their are two sizes of ISO relays that very common and fit a lot of cars in the power distribution center. You can get both sizes at most parts stores, for the two fan relays either a 4 pin or 5 pin will plug in and work.
The relays are cheaper and are more likely to fail than your electric fan.

The wires are High Low and ground, a two wire will not work.

Good Luck

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:08 pm 
LOST Member

moparpartsamerica.com has them, they seem to be very expensive for some reason, around 320 dollars.

I no longer use my electric fan, I have removed it entirely, however i use a 19 3/8 solid flex fan without a viscous clutch, and i am not sure that it provides sufficient cooling at low rpm (idle) for ac operation, although it does seem to move more air at idle than the electric fan ever could.

The reason that it is three wire is one is ground, the other two conductors are for the different sets of windings.

powering one wire = low and two wires = high speed, it does not matter which of the set you power for low, it will be low.

I would test the fan before attempting removal or paying for a replacement. I would also check the fuse and relays as noted above. If you do not understand the functions of the relays please, go to a shop, and be sure before you buy the replacement fan. if the relays and fuses function, and the fan functions when directly powered, i would greatly suspect a severed wire in the fuse box, i say this because i have seen on lost.com several reports of shorted circuitry in regards to the fan. In this case the power to the relays is constant and the ecm grounds the actuation side. For low it actuates the "low" relay and for high is actuates both. you can not manually actuate the high relay without actuating the low relay as they are wired together.

A long time ago i added a toggle switch in the cab to control the high relay, witch i no longer uses as i do not have an electric fan.

The electric fan is useless at any road speed, even 30 mph, and serves to seriously obstruct air flow at higher speeds. However it is marginally effective at allowing the ac to function.

I do not like the electric fan, as you may have noticed, however it does do it's job.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the information. CRDMiller, that solid flex fan sounds interesting.Can you give some more information on it and where to buy one. My fan was busted in a front end bump and has to be replaced.

Pro-Drive boat and motor for duck hunting with the labs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:08 pm 
LOST Member

There is another member on here with a write up on a similar system, however mine is different. It uses a properly sized and spaced fan without washers.

I used a flex-a-lite 1519 fan, 851 spacer adapter, 1x 504 spacer (1/2 inch) 1x 516 spacer (2 inch)

Comes out to 119 dollars and free shipping on amazon.

Edit, i just checked the bolts required are 5/16-24 x 3.25 inch, grade 8 torque them to 29 ft-lb dry, or 20 ft-lb with anti seize (i suggest anti seize, also on the 30 mm adapter)

The thing about the spacers is that the outer face of them is tapered, so it self centers the fan perfectly, and they are machined to be balanced, and have a uniform thickness, unlike a common grade 5 washer. They also have a locating dowel in the center. This set up is nearly perfect, this brings the fan blades to exactly one inch from the radiator, the only thing about it is that the fan diameter is slightly larger than ideal.

Hell, i made a amazon list for it

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R2K8GFY4OG8TF0 ... TF8&lm_bb=

Please note that you still need to source your own set (quantity 4) of flat washers