It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CRD vs XJ MPG comparison
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mustang_gt_350 wrote:

Do you know if the dealer could print me out a repair log of what has been serviced through jeep? Are they open to handing it out or is that somthing they don't often do?

You guys have been a great help.

Grab the Vin and go on Jeep.com, I found it there, or go to dealer whatever is easier for you.

'06 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD with: GDE Hot Flash and Tranny Flash, ehm, Cummins fuel pump, 3" Magnaflow muff, Moog K3199's, Skids, 225-75-16 10 ply, OME springs, Euro T/C, Shift kit, Trans cooler w/thermal bypass, Bigboy bkt, Samco CAC, Brake controller, Trans temp gauge, Al's Upper Arms

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here is an update to my earlier post. This summer I've had the opportunity to run both my '98 XJ and '05 CRD a fair amount. As noted earlier, both are lifted, the Cherokee with a 3" lift and 31x10.50-15 mud tires, and the Libby with Frankenlift II running 245 16 on/off-road tires. The Cherokee has about 10.5" inches of running ground clearance, the Libby about 8.5-8.75".

The Cherokee powertrain is factory stock, with the 4.0, automatic transmission, and 3.55 gears (with an aftermarket locking differential). The Libby has the GDE Performance Tune (just installed this spring).

The good news is that the GDE tune has returned fuel economy of the CRD to where it was before the lift--around 30 mpg on the highway, and in the 20's in town or with a lot of off-road miles. Performance is noticably better, though the transmission still has its nasty tendency to delay up to 5-10 seconds when one manually shifts down from Drive to 2nd when descending a grade. Other than that, the thing runs very well, with more than ample torque for the worst trail. The CRD's only off-road limitation remains the independent suspension--the lift gives it acceptable, but not outstanding ground clearance.

As to the Cherokee, it remains the best 4WD vehicle that I've ever owned (and I've owned and/or driven around a dozen and a half different 4WD's over the years) as far as its off-road ability. Even with the lift and aggressive mud-type tires, I can squeak 18-19 mpg out of the 4.0 liter on the highway. Unfortunately, its gas-guzzling tendencies show up off-road, where it can only manage 9-10 mpg in hard off-road use--about half what the CRD can manage under the same conditions. As nice as the 4.0 is as far as low-end torque, the CRD is actually is more "elegant" in off-road driving--with just the right engine response when rock-crawling. The perfect vehicle would be the Cherokee with the CRD powertrain--which, of course, Chrysler was never smart enough to sell in the US. The only "lame" thing about the Cherokee is the stupid "1-2"-only gear selection in the transmission shifter. Whoever designed that apparently never took a Jeep off of the highway.

At one point, I'd thought about selling one or the other Jeeps. I've decided to keep both for the time-being. My main concern now about the CRD is what appears to be the problem of obtaining replacement parts. The XJ, on the other hand, I think one could build from the ground up with aftermarket parts--a big advantage. I've relegated both to non-daily driver status. For that, I use a cheap, economical Toyota Camry. Too bad that Toyota won't sell their diesel in the Tacoma or bring the diesel Hi-lux truck to the US. I might be tempted to trade both Jeeps if that were available.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:22 pm 
LOST Member

Update:

I have had the CRD for about 3 months now. I have noticed the delay when shifting into manual 2, atleast i know its just not mine. It doesnt do it all of the time just on occasion.

My MPG, stock size tires i have been averaging right around 25 with country roads and secondary roads driving to work with some mixed town driving with a few red lights, thats pulling a few 9% grades on the back roads. I have yet to take it on a road trip of any kind. I drove around 65 miles to the airport last month and was right around 30mpg. So far i love this thing, still kicking around the idea of a GDE tune, but not sure i want to take a chance on the engine of my daily driver, nor do i want to spend the 450 for a single tune.

But i love the MPG it gets and just the general feel of how it drives. I have no regret of buying it. But then again i'm a diesel guy, and i work on all of my own stuff. Only 30k until new timing belt :(

88 5.0 vert (blown, but soon to be TT stroker)
66 f100 project.
01 cbr 929rr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:48 pm 
LOST Addict

All i have to say is save up get the GDE tune and get the TCM tune to that is what i am saving up for right now. The GDE tunes are well worth it and will actually help you save quite a bit of money with eliminating the EGR issues these rigs experience. Also the milage gains and the noticable power added is more then worth it. I didnt think so either at the time but after my first 700 EGR replacement I went for it and have loved it ever since. And believe me Kieth and GDE are professionals when it comes to these little motors and is always working to improve them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:11 pm 
LOST Addict

^^^
He's right. The first time a GDE tune saves you from an EGR repair at the dealership, the tune has more than paid for itself. Add that to all the other great features such as a real fuel guage, etc...and how can you go wrong?

Having said that, the availability of parts in the future and the expense of parts in the future for the CRD is making me paranoid again. And for that reason alone, I'm at least entertaining the idea of trading it for a mint XJ.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:36 am 
LOST Member

The EGR was replaced along with the fuel filter a week before i purchased the jeep. The dealer showed me its repair history on the dealer logs.

2 days after having it home I unplugged the MAF. So i doubt the EGR will be a problem for a fair amount of time. If it does give me a problem i'll probably just delete it or grab the parts and do it myself. So the 700 for the dealer to fix it won't be in my future, or any dealer fix for that matter since i have NEVER had any of my cars/trucks/motorcycles in any garage but my own.

The TCM tune. What exactly does the tcm tune change? Can you give me some example's of when it shifts part throttle and when it locks the TC? I really don't have a problem with the shift points, just when it locks and unlocks the TC. And that brings up another question i'll start a new post for.

The fuel gauge doesn't bother me, i have never had a car/truck that is right on. So after a few tanks of fuel you just reset the trip and go by the EVIC and gauge to get an idea of whats left.

I just think a basic non customized run of the mill tune isn't worth 450.00. What have been your MPG increases with the eco tune?

88 5.0 vert (blown, but soon to be TT stroker)
66 f100 project.
01 cbr 929rr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:27 pm 
LOST Addict

The best thing i can tell you to do at this point is go http://www.greendieselengineering.com/goPage.do?method=home and explore Keith's website. Not everything is up to date completely but there is alot of good information. Also the TCM tune locks up the TC longer and more often and gives you more control over it. And yes these tunes might not be anything like the Banks Tunes but promise they are more the worth it. Also the eco people have seen as high as 25 to 27 around town and around 32 on highway. While the Hot Tune (which is what i have) i have seen as high as 21 around town but I am an aggressive driver and about 25 on highway. That is with a lift and 31's of course.