It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New CRD owner - CEL problem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:57 am 
LOST Newbie

First off, thanks all for the great information on the forum here. It's been very helpful so far. Here's my story:

Just bought a 2005 with ~30k miles. Had done my reading beforehand and after I got the Jeep, did the following:

- New air filter
- Cleaned the MAP sensor (looked like the ones in the Noob guide)
- Replaced serpentine belt (dry rotted and squeaking with the AC running)
- Changed the oil
- Replaced oil pressure sender (intermittently flashed at highway speed, search showed others with the same problem replaced sensor, no problems since)

About a week and a half ago, the CEL came on. I thought this might be due to the Predator chip the PO installed, so I yanked that - no change. Pulled out the code reader and got two codes - P0101 (MAF) and P0401 (EGR). I cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner (leftover from the MAP sensor cleaning) and cleared the codes. Drove it for a few days, light back on, same codes.

My question is what should I do next. I am planning on doing the GDE tune, but don't think it's very wise to try to cover up these problems and would rather fix them first before the GDE tune, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise. My initial inclination is to replace the MAF sensor (looks like a 5 minute swap after forking ~$100 to moparonlineparts.com). What about the EGR issue?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Post subject: Re: New CRD owner - CEL problem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MrMopar64 wrote:
The problem is that your EGR valve is periodically sticking. In all honesty, your best bet would be to pull it off, remove the solenoid from the top of it, and soak the bottom valve part in a solvent to free it up. Sure beats spending a lot of money on one.

X2

I believe the GDE tune requires a functioning EGR,so do like Mr.Mopar said and then go for the tune. :pepper:

The PO101....learn to live with it. :goink:

Post subject: Re: New CRD owner - CEL problem
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info. Is there a good writeup on how to clean the EGR? I looked around and didn't see one. I'd prefer to do it myself if I can and save some coin.